Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: reverse gear
big lad

posted on 5/10/09 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
reverse gear

hpc gears can supply ring gear, they say, but this will only be after ive sent my R1 starter motor to them for identification. My question is to everyone out there has anyone yet come up with a method of controling the SPEED?and syncing the motor into the ring gear so that it is only engaged when required, cheers!!!
Breaker

posted on 5/10/09 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
This is the MK setup (picture taken during my visit)

I think the power of a bike engine is a bit low to reverse your car. I should choose a car starter motor (preferably a diesel one,which have higher power than petrol).

As you see on the photo, the starter gear is only engaged when you power it.

I think it is possible to control the speed, but then you would need expensive power-electronics.

If we would go for a group buy of the ring gear as in the MK setup, I also would be interested.

eznfrank

posted on 5/10/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have the MK set up. Speed control is achieved via the brake pedal! I'd consider it as an emergency measure only and to keep IVA man happy. I don't think a bike starter would be up to the job, definitely not as a permanent fixture anyway.

And as above it only engages when you press the go backwards button.

matt_claydon

posted on 5/10/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big lad
My question is to everyone out there has anyone yet come up with a method of controling the SPEED?

Brake pedal should do the trick!
quote:

and syncing the motor into the ring gear so that it is only engaged when required, cheers!!!

With a car starter the solenoid makes the gear only engage when the motor is powered.

gingerprince

posted on 5/10/09 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like a circular saw too close to your ass :O
speedyxjs

posted on 5/10/09 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Fit a car engine

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

austin man

posted on 5/10/09 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt think that it would be difficult or expesive to make something which reduces the voltage. I suppose milk floats have a similar problem. Rather than just engaging the starte in one thrust there must be a simplistic way of increasing/ engaging the power gradually using a leaver which alters resistance/voltage when moved forward or backward. I may be talking out of my Arxe but im not an electrician or electronics guru, but if its broke I can usually fix it.

Over to the techi's now

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 6/10/09 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
KERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I've said it before, but this looks like a great daily-driver road-going solution. I do have a lightweight version on my car (AB unit), with a motorcycle starter (satisfies the MSA man when my fellow competitors start objecting).

I just love the amount of space that MK give you underneath the diff flange, tailor made.

Bluemoon

posted on 6/10/09 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Speed control could be achieved electronically, but he currents are high (due to the low voltage) and this is going to make the system expensive, and not particularity DIY.. Personally I would not bother, suck it and see, after all it will get you though the IVA..

Dan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.