Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: any one on here
austin man

posted on 12/10/09 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
any one on here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MK-Indy-damaged-not-locost-caterham-robin-hood_W0QQitemZ300356446830QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item45eea3aa6e&_t rksid=p3286.c0.m14

Seen this on the bay of E anyone on this forum

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Mark G

posted on 12/10/09 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Being a little naughty using the chassis number and engine number. I assume a rebuild using a new chassis is on the cards.
austin man

posted on 12/10/09 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
reckon so probably bought back from the insurance company

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Chippy

posted on 12/10/09 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I would say using the chassis number is OK. If you re-body a car useing a new body then it is classed as a rebuild so no IVA, so using a new chassis would class as the same, or at least thats how I see it. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

austin man

posted on 12/10/09 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Im not really bothered about what they are looking to do with the chasis number. may be interested in it as a project. Just wondered whether it belongs to anyone on here

coozer

posted on 13/10/09 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
If you buy it and it still has the chassis number on it you are legally entitled to apply for the V5. If he's ground it off he's breaking the law.

If he has used the chassis number on another chassis then he is guilty of ringing.

Go buy it then on collection tell him you will be apply for the V5 and the cops will be on the way to see him.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

neilj37

posted on 13/10/09 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
In my opinion it looks like he is going to get a new kit and use the chassis number and engine from this on his new one so he can bypass IVA. Naughty naughty.
austin man

posted on 13/10/09 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
not really naughty, if you weny via insurance they would reshell a car if required so whats the difference. I wouldnt class it as ringing. Looks like I opened a can of worms here

Steve Hignett

posted on 13/10/09 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
If he hadn't of answered his question honestly or posted the response, then no-one would of known he was up to anything dodgy!!!

It could of been a "track car" that he was selling...

40inches

posted on 15/10/09 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neilj37
In my opinion it looks like he is going to get a new kit and use the chassis number and engine from this on his new one so he can bypass IVA. Naughty naughty.

Possibly, but who on here wouldn't do exactly the same thing?
I sure as hell would

Peteff

posted on 15/10/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark G
Being a little naughty using the chassis number and engine number. I assume a rebuild using a new chassis is on the cards.

No problem using the original identity if he's putting the same engine in the same make chassis as far as the law is concerned.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

flak monkey

posted on 15/10/09 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
Originally posted by Mark G

No problem using the original identity if he's putting the same engine in the same make chassis as far as the law is concerned.

Quite right.

If you rebuild an MGB or similar you can replace the whole shell with a new one and retain all the original docs and numbers.

Its not actually a problem as long as everything is replaced like for like and all the same running gear is transferred to the new chassis too.

The problem comes when someone buys a dutton and then uses the numbers to build an mk/gts/mnr etc.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

JoelP

posted on 16/10/09 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Im unsure on this one myself. Think it sounds worse than it is due to having so many little grey areas rolled together - but no individual step is illegal, so it must be legal overall.

Theres nothing to say he cannot remove the chassis, de-ID it and sell it on as a lump of metal. Thats not ringing.

Building a new one with the engine and numbers of the old one sounds dodgy but again isnt really, as said several times above you can rebuild with a new chassis; it just happens he's also swapping everything else at the same time.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.