Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine management for RWD zetec conversion
mike lotus

posted on 19/10/09 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Engine management for RWD zetec conversion

Hello there i'm new to these sorts of forum and could do with a bit of help.
I am thinking changing from an old 1.6cvh carb engine to a 1.8 or 2.0 zetec.
I can do all the mechanical work and with some help connecting fuel lines etc.
As i'm doing this on a very restricted budget i have a couple of questions.
Would it be worth while changing to a 1.8 cvh carbed engine.
Or could i fit the zetec and use the factory ECU?
Is there some information on the forum how to use the standard ECU and connect it up to the existing wiring harness.

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

coozer

posted on 19/10/09 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome Mike, interesting question there.

Does the cvh engine you have, have a coil pack? If so you can use the EEC unit from that.

Common route is bike carbs or twin webbers with Edis and Megajolt. The Ford EEC unit can used to control the sparks to save costs.

Zetecs will run fine (fixed 10° advance) with just the Edis.

The advantages of the zetec over the cvh will be smoother running, better economy and more power!

Theres a fair bit info on the net, one page of which which can be found HERE!

Where abouts are you and what you thinking of building??

Steve

[Edited on 19/10/09 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

whitestu

posted on 19/10/09 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Would it be worth while changing to a 1.8 cvh carbed engine.

Nope, the 1.6 is more tuneable than the 1.8 unless you are going to turbo it.

Mave

posted on 19/10/09 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
On pre-94 silvertop Zetecs it is perfectly possible to use the factory ECU and intake manifold (just make sure to route your steering shaft around it). See my site for more info.
I believe that the post-94 Zetecs have an immobiliser build-in or something....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hughpinder

posted on 19/10/09 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
I believe big_wasa has had success using the standard ECU too, so it is possible

Regards
Hugh

big_wasa

posted on 19/10/09 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve just spent an hour doing a detailed reply and lost the lot

yes you can use the standard ecu. I’ve been able to do up to an 1997 R reg mondeo ecu and loom.

Have a look at a couple of my vids

pre Pats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxq4ks2Us_U

eec-v Pats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVXW1fWn-l0

There are two types of ecu.
The EEC_IV up to about 1995 (60pin)
The EEC_V 1995 on. (104 pin)

J K L had no immobilizer built into the ecu. Its easy to run but there hard to get because of this and the price of scrap last year and the scrapage thing this year.

M N same as above but the ecu now had the Pats Immobilizer which is an Rdif chip in the key. Just an extra four wires as it turns out.

P R moved on to the EEC_V This has 104 pins. There is more inputs and the ecu also gained the Obd2 diagnostics

I am doing two of these at the min one for a local guy. We had it running last week. The engine struck up first turn of the key after being stood for two years. I have a vid but haven’t asked if I can use it.

I will be hooking up the diagnostic port this week and running a scanner on it to check all the sensors are doing there thing. This one has about 65 hours in it with another 20 needed to see it finished.

Later Ecu's have extra security. As well as having the rdif chip in the key they also coupled the alarm to the ecu. It has a separate code. All three must match up. This is to stop you going equipped with an ecu and chip and nicking a car. The alarm has inputs for doors and all sort as well as the ecu having extra inputs. I’ve had a go at one put gave up as it was just to much work.

Not to help things. The wire colours and pin numbers change between cars i.e. the pin numbers and colours change depending on if its a Mondeo Focus Fiesta.

If you can get a cheap ecu and loom its a cheap and easy way of running a zetec. With a 2.0 you will get 145bhp at the wheels if you have a good exhaust and free flow filter and the ecu can be chipped for a little more. If all the sensors are good and wired as they should then you will have a smooth engine with good economy and emissions with no mapping needed. You also get the Thatcham aproved Immobilizer on the latter ecu's.

If You need any help by al means drop me a u2u.

When I have finished the one I am doing for some one elts I will finish mine. It will be then for sale for the price of a megasquirt kit from the states as I want to get into the programming side of it.

Its a separate hobby as I like wiring

[Edited on 19/10/09 by big_wasa]

big_wasa

posted on 19/10/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Tiger have done an eec_iv install on an Avon

Artical

mike lotus

posted on 21/10/09 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec engine management

Thanks for the help and advice.

I have to admit that i'm not building a sports / kit car but i am rebuilding an old reliant SS1 and want a bit more go.
I would love to build a locust etc but can't convince the misses to allow me to do it.
To be fair she doesn't even know about this one so i'm doing it out of the way.
Funds are also a bit tight as i've just been made redundant, that's why things are having to be done on a shoe string !!.

Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.