Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Model Deisel fuel
ReMan

posted on 20/10/09 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Model Deisel fuel

Anyone know where I can get a small quantity of this to run up a couple of (very) old engines from my youth.
Local model shop surprised me when he said make your own I dion't sell it.
Looked at this but I want a cup full not 20 litres!

big_wasa

posted on 20/10/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
you can still get it from the bigger model shops but I was told the same at my local one.
paulf

posted on 20/10/09 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I used to make my own , you need Ether paraffin or diesel and some Castor or 2 stroke oil.
I cant remember the exact ratios but roughly equal parts of ether and paraffin and then add oil at about 25 percent.
You could buy a can of easy start for the ether or may be able to buy it from a chemist.
Paul.

ashg

posted on 20/10/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
i have got loads want me to post you some? its 10% nitro. you can get it off the net easily and all the model shops round kent way stock it.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

wheelfelloff

posted on 20/10/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Anyone know where I can get a small quantity of this to run up a couple of (very) old engines from my youth.
Local model shop surprised me when he said make your own I dion't sell it.
Looked at this but I want a cup full not 20 litres!

The most common type available is Model Technics D1000 Easy Start fuel. They sell it in 1/4Ltr quantities (about £4) if you can find a shop that stocks it, a call to Model Technics should locate a stockist.

Even some of the largest shops in the UK don't appear to list it these days but

http://www.addlestonemodels.co.uk/index.html

list it but their web site doesn't work for me so can't check if they have it in stock. I think they do mail order for small quantities. Last time I bought some was at a local model show where a 1/2 Ltr cost me about £6. Sorry long used up.

Mixing it is fairly easy and the Model Technics site gives the formula for various engine sizes here:
http://www.modeltechnics.com/diesel.htm

As you say though getting the Ether and Isopropyl Nitrate is difficult these days as the H&S types think that you must be up to no good with it. If there is such a thing left a "friendly chemist" is worth seeking out.

Keith

EDIT: Good to see plenty of help as usual here but ashg gets the cigar

[Edited on 20/10/09 by wheelfelloff]

meany

posted on 20/10/09 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
if you want to mix your own.

http://www.modeltechnics.com/diesel.htm

i dont think i still have any left, i've gone to nitro engines and petrol for the bigger ones.

beaten to it again ...lol

[Edited on 20/10/09 by meany]

MakeEverything

posted on 21/10/09 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
model diesel????

Incidentally, whats the performance and fuel consumption like for a model diesel engine compared to a petrol / nitro engine?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

wheelfelloff

posted on 21/10/09 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
model diesel????

Incidentally, whats the performance and fuel consumption like for a model diesel engine compared to a petrol / nitro engine?

A Compression Ignition Engine is a more accurate description as they are nothing like modern full sized "Diesels". They produce plenty of torque (for their displacement) at low rpm so swing large props with ease. The throttle response is not nearly as good as a Glow Plug (Nitro) or 4 stroke (Petrol) engine. They are also prone to vibrate more as well. In general, they are frugal on fuel and produce good torque at low rpm and of course don't need the battery to start. A typical modern model diesel is reviewed here and will give you an idea of rpm etc:

http://www.modelflight.com.au/manuals/pdf/enya/Enya_25_SS_Diesel.pdf

Regards

Keith

scudderfish

posted on 21/10/09 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
They also smell a lot nicer than glow engines.
ReMan

posted on 21/10/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info guys
Now I kmnow what i'm looking for I still cant find anyone online who'll ship it.
I'll check with another couple of local model shops, else might be tapping you up ashg

wheelfelloff

posted on 21/10/09 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Thanks for the info guys
Now I kmnow what i'm looking for I still cant find anyone online who'll ship it.
I'll check with another couple of local model shops, else might be tapping you up ashg

Hi, a friend of mine has just told me he bought his last Ltr of Diesel fuel at a show from these guys:

SOUTHERN MODELCRAFT
58 SALISBURY ROAD
TONBRIDGE
KENT
TN10 4PE
Tel: 01732 350691

He thought he paid about £10 for a litre but has no idea if they post or not. Glow fuels are delivered by many suppliers so I don't know why diesel can't be, except the quantities are lower so might not be worth while.

Steve Webb models in Frodsham (?) is another place he has bought from but he says they do not post. Don't think it is close to you but what do I know I'm living in Wales

Sorry not too clear but only managed to catch him on the phone earlier and Wednesday is HIS night out with the lads so couln't delay things too much.

Keith

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.