Posts 256
Registered 16/4/07
Location West Mids

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a sense of satisfaction now things seem to work ok

posted on 21/10/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
GSXR TPS wiring

Hi All,

I am trying to wire up my TPS from my GSXR TBs to the MS. The wires from the MS are nice and clearly identified however the wires from the TPS are a mystery to me. I thought of just taking a guess and wiring it up and then trying to identify the signal wire. However I have no idea what range or sort of output I was going to look for. The wires are red, black and yellow. So is it a fair guess to say black = earth, red = 5v feed and yellow = signal wire??

Any advice welcome..........

Cheers

Chris

flak monkey

posted on 21/10/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
From the MS website

quote:
To hook up your throttle position sensor (TPS), disconnect the TPS, and use a digital multi-meter. Switch it to measure resistance. The resistance between two of the connections will stay the same when the throttle is moved. Find those two - one will be the +5 Vref and the other a ground. The third is the sense wire to the MegaSquirt® controller. To figure out which wire is the +5 Vref and which is the ground, connect your meter to one of those two connections and the other to the TPS sense connection.

If you read a high resistance which gets lower as you open the throttle, then disconnected wire is the one which goes to ground, the other one which had the continuous resistance goes to the +5 Vref from the MegaSquirt® EFI Controller, and the remaining wire is the TPS sense wire.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 21/10/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, that's about right.

For some reason on my earlier K1-K2 the TPS potentiometer has the blue/yellow/black straight out the unit and into loom plugs. The K3-K4's on the kitchen table now have a plug that goes straight into the TPS, colours Red/Pink/Brown and Black/Brown, respective connections.

The (thin) Black/Brown ground goes around JUST the bike sensors, straight into the ECU. Confusingly there's another that splices that further down the tree from the ECU, but on the other side of the SET... you can guess how I found that out when I pilled the downstream pin the wrong side... Red is 5V live, straight out the ECU to all sensors. Yellow is 'signal', i.e Vout, changing to Pink/Brown on the loom.
By the way, there's another yellow on that end of the TB's, from the STV. It stays yellow all the way to the ECU.

Anyway, go ahead and play.

GSXR - There really is NO substitute.

matt_gsxr

posted on 27/10/09 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
When it is right you should get around 57 when the throttle is closed and around 225 when wide-open.

Fiddle away, just be careful not to short the live to the earth on the leads from the MS (it might not like it!).

Matt

stevebubs

posted on 27/10/09 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&pho to=TSP.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.