Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap Battery?
coozer

posted on 22/10/09 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap Battery?

Spotted TIHS battery at Toolstation and can't help thinking its a bit of a bargain.

My Redtop 25 is 12v 16ah and cost 4 times that one.. would it be OK for a small car or bike??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Findlay234

posted on 22/10/09 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been using a REALLY OLD golf cart battery in mine and its been fine, bit more than 12Ah though... think mine is 17Ah but it is at least 10 years old or more. Doesnt hold its charge all too well, couple of weeks at least but I think im going to look for another golf cart battery. 22Ah for about £45..
MikeRJ

posted on 22/10/09 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
No, these are very different from the Redtop racing batteries. They use a gel electrolyte that means internal resistance is higher (lower peak current) and they have quite fussy charging requirements.

They are designed for standby applications, e.g. burglar/fire alarms, UPS. It would probably work for a while, but they simply aren't design to cope with the kind of current a starter motor pulls.

flak monkey

posted on 22/10/09 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, normal lead acid batteries arent designed to take 200+amps when cranking. You'll just melt it....

Redtops are still gel electrolyte. Its more down to the design of the plates inside than anything else AFAIK

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Rosco

posted on 22/10/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I notice that Rally Design now have an RMD branded battery for about £50. No idea if it's any good. But looks be out half the cost of a Red Top.

Anyone tried it?

MikeRJ

posted on 22/10/09 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Redtops are still gel electrolyte.

They aren't true gel batteries like the burglar alarm ones; they use a standard liquid electrolyte which is absorbed into glass mat between the plates.

martyn_16v

posted on 22/10/09 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
These types of battery also don't like vibration at all, the plates tend to be supported at one end only and have a habit of shattering after a little abuse, drastically reducing capacity.

In my case, 'a little abuse' meant using them to power some kit onboard a rollercoaster car. It only took a month for them to be down to about 25% of their rated capacity

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.