Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: crossflow oversize valves replacement
stretch

posted on 23/10/09 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
crossflow oversize valves replacement

took the valves out last night and it seems there is quite a lot of play on them

its the maximum size valves that can fit - bought the head with them fitted

what are the steps to resolve this? new valve guides? etc?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daviep

posted on 23/10/09 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
You need to measure the valve stems and the valve guides and find out where the wear has occured. Worst case is you'll need to get a new set of valve guides pressed into the head and a new set of valves.

Regards
Davie

Chippy

posted on 23/10/09 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
May be wrong, but arent the valve guides on a Xflow machined into the head, seem to recall that they were. If so the head will need line boring and valve guides pressed in. As said may be wrong, many years since I played with a Xflow. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

02GF74

posted on 23/10/09 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
yes - the valve guides are part of the cast head.

to replace, need to be bored in and new guides fitted.

in the olden days, according to the Haynes manual, oversize valve stems were available but not any more.

take a look at pinto valves - they are bigger than the crossflow but the same length, the stem I think is a tiny bit bigger - could be a cheap way to go oversize but only on the exhaust (the inlet is too big - or is it other way round).

I went oversize on mine
in 41.3 mm ( canget 43.7)
ex 34.9 mm ( can get 36 mm)

you can go bigger than that but then the guides need to be offset and to counter that, the valve springs need to be machined.

thunderace

posted on 23/10/09 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
yes - the valve guides are part of the cast head.

to replace, need to be bored in and new guides fitted.

in the olden days, according to the Haynes manual, oversize valve stems were available but not any more.

take a look at pinto valves - they are bigger than the crossflow but the same length, the stem I think is a tiny bit bigger - could be a cheap way to go oversize but only on the exhaust (the inlet is too big - or is it other way round).

I went oversize on mine
in 41.3 mm ( canget 43.7)
ex 34.9 mm ( can get 36 mm)

you can go bigger than that but then the guides need to be offset and to counter that, the valve springs need to be machined.

wow i was sure the max was 41.3
mine are around 1mm apart and i was told could crack where they meat as were so close after spending weeks porting polishing and cleaning the head up

bmseven

posted on 23/10/09 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
What state of tune are we talking and define quite a lot of play?

http://www.cncheads.co.uk/ford_crossflow.html

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

ncoll

posted on 23/10/09 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
If your valve stems are not badly worn, take the head along to an engineering shop and get some k-liners fitted. These are about £6.00 each fitted. Much cheaper than having the head bored and individual guides fitted, plus they are longer lasting.
ncoll

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.