Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: What dog for my son
contaminated

posted on 23/10/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
OT: What dog for my son

As title really. Been thinking about a dog for my 12 year old son for a while. I'm after something small, but that won't be embarrasing to take for walks!

Must be kiddy friendly and have no vicious stigmas attached (e.g. staffs, pitbull etc - wife is a childminder) whether they are justified or not. Needs to be a puppy in order that the cats can help establish a hierachy!

Not fussy about the make - thinking border terrier, but would be even happier with a suitable mongrel that needs a home.

Any thoughts? Where do you dog-shop for a generic small dog?! What should I look for?

ta

Dan

omega0684

posted on 23/10/09 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
get a Pug, mates got one and its class! looks just like the one from 'Men in Black!'

[Edited on 23/10/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stuart_g

posted on 23/10/09 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Get a Greyhound mate they are superb pets. We've had our rescue ex-racer a couple of years now and don't regret a second.
big_wasa

posted on 23/10/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
greyhound

beat me to it Ive got a lurcher and it has a fantastic temperment with kids

[Edited on 23/10/09 by big_wasa]

mad4x4

posted on 23/10/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
we have a doberman - yes a doberman

Big soft lump scared of his shadow very loyal even sleeps with a ball in his mouth like a dummy. He great will little people too.

Dogs in general reflect ther owners, if you neglect it it will become boystrous, if you treat it bad it will be come grumpy.

Tip get a dog that suits your needs. Don;t get a great dane if you live in a bedsit, don;t get a very small do if your out hillwalking all the time......

Greyhounds like wippets need lots of running.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

graememk

posted on 23/10/09 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
golden retriever they live to about 12 to 16 years old, i'll dig out a video of my newphew playing with him.

you want a dog that isnt territurial, so if you take a toy of him he just thinks your playing and dosnt get nasty

you tube

You Tube 2

[Edited on 24/10/09 by graememk]

tegwin

posted on 23/10/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Go for something different...

I was brought up with a Bearded collie as a friend... and we now have her daughter.. Amazingly good temproment... and both of them look after the family like wooly shepherds!

And even at 10 years old, she still has so much bounce

Not many dogs look cute as a puppy and cute fully grown....

(I know most beardies are grey..... if you can find a short(ish) haired brown one )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

stevepj

posted on 23/10/09 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Boxer for me, we have just lost ours after nearly eleven fantastic years with him. Had him from 10 weeks old, absolutely brilliant with our two boys - they used him as a pillow, football opponent, playmate and never a complaint from him, mind you they both moaned about him sleeping on their beds. And they look big n tough when you're out with them.
If its got to be small then border terriers do seem nice with loads of character.

Just one thing to bear in mind, are you prepared for a long term commitment of walking twice a day in all weathers and picking up hot pooh every time you go out?

ashg

i have got a jack russell. cracking little dog great with kids and really smart.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Benzine

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kevmcdo

posted on 23/10/09 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Go for a Rhodesian Ridgeback, great fun, loves the kids and keeps all the bad people from the house and garden.
andkilde

posted on 23/10/09 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
How active is your son? I'd strongly suggest a herding dog for him, Border Collie, Aussie, etc. Find a breeder that has a "working" line rather than show dogs, they have better personalities, are cheaper and healthier.

Less "lovey-dovey" than a labrador but smart as a whip, loyal and love to play, perfect for a young boy IMO.

30-50lbs in weight so medium sized.

They do require a fair bit of exercise though.

Cheers, Ted

designer

posted on 23/10/09 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
For his age, a boxer or greyhound. They both are not too big and will be ideal company.
scootz

posted on 23/10/09 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
We have a doberman - yes a doberman

Big soft lump scared of his shadow very loyal even sleeps with a ball in his mouth like a dummy. He great will little people too.

Dogs in general reflect ther owners, if you neglect it it will become boystrous, if you treat it bad it will be come grumpy.

We have Rottweilers and my experience of them is very similar to what Mad4x4 describes with his Doberman. Wonderfully loyal and loving dogs. Highly intelligent and trainable, and truly GREAT with kids! This is the beautiful Kali (6 year old bitch) with my year old niece Grace - they absolutely adore each other!

Sure, Rottweilers get the 'devil dog' treatment by the press, but those are the dogs that are bought by nobs who raise them like weapons or neglect them and the result is an anti-social dog that can be harmful. Any dog raised this way poses a similar threat!

In my experience, I've actually found smaller dogs (especially Jack Russel types) to be the most aggressive... thing is, they tend not to cause the same damage as larger dogs, so don't attract the bad press they deserve!

Having said all that... if your wife does childminding, then I can understand why you would avoid the 'stereotyped' dogs.

So... guess I would say Golden Retreiver - lovely animals!

And just for the hell of it - here's a pic of little miss Poppy (6 month old bitch)...

[img][/img]

ashg

posted on 23/10/09 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
i agree collies are great dogs for young lads that like hiking and building dens etc in the woods. if your lad is the playstation type don’t bother as collies tend to go nuts if they don’t get enough stimulation/exercise

greyhounds are good as they have lovely tempers don’t need loads of walking they are sprint dogs. they generally like a 15-20min flat out run round a field and they have had enough.

my jack russell is great. she is smart obedient and a tough little beggar that can take kids pulling her ears etc.

I don’t know if you have ever had a dog before but there is another thing to worry about. Hair! Most dogs lose hair but some more than others anything with wiry coat will tend to moult more than something with a softer coat. The more rough and wiry the coat the harder it is to hover out the carpet.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Chippy

posted on 23/10/09 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Welsh Border Colly, lovely dogs, highly inteligent, and very trainable. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Blackcab

posted on 23/10/09 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
needs to be something small and fun west highland white or similar, highly unlikely to pull him in to the road on walks as it sees a cat
locogeoff

posted on 24/10/09 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't recommend a greyhound if you have cats, greyhounds so I've been told love to chase things, and are fast enough to catch a cat.

I personaly wouldn't recommend a Chocolate Lab

This little bundle of nonsense

is now 9 1/2 months old weighs 5 and a bit stone, is lean not fat, this evening pulled my partner off her feet at the sight of another dog, came home stole a £20 note out of her bag and tried to eat it, and is behaving like a teenage eejit, is crated at night, but moments inattention from us durng the day has resulted in 4 plasterboard walls being chewed through.

We still love him to bits

[Edited on 24/10/09 by locogeoff]

Tralfaz

posted on 24/10/09 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
I recommend a Mutt.

Preferably a young one from a pet shelter.

As a bonus several studies indicate that mixed breed are healthier and on average live longer.

I think a good lesson for your son could be learned from adopting a needy animal.

Good Luck,

T

richardR1

posted on 24/10/09 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
Got to be a schnauzer for me. Come in 3 sizes, a standard is ideal size. Absolutely superb people dogs, highly intelligent and massive character. Added bonus is they don't smell or molt.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

trextr7monkey

posted on 24/10/09 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
I'm voting for Golden Retreve bitches- not as big as the dogs, fun loving gentle playful without some of the chewy habits of labs. Becomes part of the family very quickly and always keen to please. Your son is the rightage totake onthe responsibility of dog ownership
Hair moulting can be a problem - we have done away with carpets in most living areas in house and tiled throughout and the backof the car can get messy on wet muddy days,
The retrieving instinct brings hours of fun with sticks balls, plastic toys etc (also socks etc if you leave them about)
Vaccinations, kennel fees , baskets and bones alladd to the cost of living but are repaid manytimes over.
Walking wise seem hapywith short walks and the occasionall long ones - seem to just enjoy being out having attention. First one we had grew up with the childen tail and ear pulling tolerated happily, the latest one was bought to help teenage daughter recuperate from major surgery and 7 years on she still loves it to bits.
We are all going upSkiddaw this morning so it will spend the rest of the day snoozing, it is a dog's life!
Go for it !
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

whitestu

posted on 24/10/09 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Get him a Cairn terrier - best liitle dog there is. Lovely temprament and very lively!
gregs

posted on 24/10/09 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tralfaz
I recommend a Mutt.

Preferably a young one from a pet shelter.

As a bonus several studies indicate that mixed breed are healthier and on average live longer.

I think a good lesson for your son could be learned from adopting a needy animal.

Good Luck,

T

Absolutely - go to your nearest CDL and see what's 'in stock' take into consideration the general comments wrt breeds and then go see what's there - think they have a website showing all dogs needing re-homing.

Sorry forgot is now Dogs Trust - llinky

[Edited on 24/10/09 by gregs]

philw

posted on 24/10/09 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
How about one of these

Must try harder

speedyxjs

posted on 24/10/09 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
^ ^ ^ OMG!!!

We have a dachshund jack russel cross. We got him when my little sister was 12 (although she wanted a lab) and she loves him to bits.

Joey as a puppy
Joey as a puppy

1 DP Motor (Dog Power)
1 DP Motor (Dog Power)

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.