Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Throttle bodies popping off?
vinny1275

posted on 25/10/09 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Throttle bodies popping off?

Hi all,

Just out trying to get the Pinto running a bit better with the megasquirt, and trying to get it to start from hot (which it's now just about doing..) - the engine was idling (quick, about 13 - 1400 rpm), and all of a sudden, the whole throttle body assembly (including the airbox) popped off the inlet manifold...

Anyone any ideas what could have caused it? I can only presume that it pressurised somehow, but how?

Cheers

Vince

austin man

posted on 25/10/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a groove machined into the inlet tract ? if not this could be the problem, the pipes connecting the two usually seats in the groove when clamped up.

Hope that makes sense

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

vinny1275

posted on 25/10/09 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean, but the rubbers stayed on the manifold, not the throttle bodies. There is a groove on those, it may not have been quite tight enough. I've done them up again and I'll see how it goes....

Ta

Vince

brianthemagical

posted on 25/10/09 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
does any part of the TB/airbox assembley hit anything? Other than that it could be too much weight/mass and the engine movement is just causing them to come off.
rusty nuts

posted on 25/10/09 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Fit a couple of bracing straps between the airbox and the manifold/head. Seems to be a fairly common problem especially if using silicon hose as mounting rubbers.
mark chandler

posted on 25/10/09 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
I have a tie bar on my TB's just picked up on the top centre and across to the cam cover, these things will rattle loose.

Regards Mark

RichardK

posted on 25/10/09 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Have you used normal silicon hoses? imo these aren't stiff enough and as the vacuum pulses it in effect squeezes the hose until they come off. So if you must use hose then I would have the minimum amount of hose between the inlet manifold and throttle bodies if that makes sense. I would also brace the throttle bodies like I've done on my carbs just recently like below.

I managed to get the inlet rubbers that came off the bike and these are really stiff.

All in my opinion of course.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vinny1275

posted on 26/10/09 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Rich - I'm using bike rubbers, which are nice and stiff - will look at bracing them up in that case...

Cheers

Vince

macc man

posted on 17/1/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
bike carbs loose

Hi, thanks for all the replys, I think the original bike rubbers and a couple of metal braces may be the best solution.Many thanks.
Jenko

posted on 18/1/10 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
An age old problem :-)

I made up a couple of brackets to keep mine on....

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.