Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Today I bought an angle grinder....
grazzledazzle

posted on 31/10/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Today I bought an angle grinder....

Any lots of noisy fun havoc i had with it! Used some thick gloves and goggles as i'm getting old and sensible, but hadn't actually considered that sparks will burn for some reason! I've got burnt spots on my arms and face Is this normal?
Steve Hignett

posted on 31/10/09 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't sound normal to me, but I would suggest you invest a couple a quid in a clear face guard rather than goggles...

big_wasa

posted on 31/10/09 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Yep

I looked down once having smelt burning hair to see my chest on fire. It had gone through my clothing.

Benzine

posted on 31/10/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
angle grinders are great Then they become awesome when you discover 1mm discs then they become godlike when you discover 0.8mm discs (how does that 0.2mm make such a difference?)

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 31/10/09 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have a hole in the croch of my overalls caused by grinding sparks..... I have a matching hole in my trousers... and a matching pair in my undercrackers..... Wondered why I could smell burning hair... looked down and the crown jewels were all ablaze!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Duncan Mould

posted on 31/10/09 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I can go one better than that, I purchased one of those RAGE metal cutting saws today, best £90 I have ever spent ! puts skinny disks in a dark corner of the garage. But you are right they are fantastic.
On a parr with those linishing wheels with 80 grit paper on em.
Happy Days

Steve Hignett

posted on 31/10/09 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I've got something like this to cover my face, and it's cool, because I seem to always end up working upside down whether grinding or drilling on something, and it makes it a lot more peaceful!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUALITY-SWP-CLEAR-FACE-SHIELD-HEAD-PROTECTION_W0QQitemZ200293592673QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item2ea26dae61

BenB

posted on 31/10/09 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to get bilateral arm measels due to grinding sparks wamming up the arms of my boiler suit. Got lots of funny looks at work. Thought for a while I was going to get a day off work for being contagious
zilspeed

posted on 31/10/09 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have a permanent scar on the first knuckle of the first finger on my left hand.
This was where the angle grinder went through all of the available skin and flesh.

It also took a bit out of the knuckle which is a slightly different shape to all of the other ones now.

I could have lost the finger.

Angle grinders are very handy, but in terms of sheer danger are in the same bracket as hand held electric planers. Capable of doing great things, but also more than capable of maiming you too.

Be verrrrrry verrrrrrrrrrrrrry careful.

Miketheconn

posted on 31/10/09 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ohh and remember using the angle grinder can make whatever your grinding warm.

Once I put the angle grinder down and took my gloves off when the wife brought me out a brew, then without thinking ran my hand along the area I was grinding. I now know not to do that

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 31/10/09 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
I've got something like this to cover my face, and it's cool, because I seem to always end up working upside down whether grinding or drilling on something, and it makes it a lot more peaceful!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUALITY-SWP-CLEAR-FACE-SHIELD-HEAD-PROTECTION_W0QQitemZ200293592673QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item2ea26dae61

Yup i have something very similar, could do with a new one though, its now very scratched - i can hardly see through it! But i carry on regardless, will get a new one soon though!

austin man

posted on 31/10/09 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Must admit I have set fire to myself using an angle grinder. Its funny how quick u get your clothes off.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

iank

posted on 1/11/09 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
I always use a full face shield AND safety specs ever since a spark burned the top of my cheek despite having the full face shield.

Ear plugs are also a must if you're doing a long session.

Have fun, but be careful - my best trick so far was grinding away, and then inverting the grinder to get into a tricky spot, queue a face full of sparks and a new full face shield required.

(another favourite trick is people who forget to cover up glass/paintwork anywhere within 20feet of where they're working, new glass/respray can be costly.

[Edited on 1/11/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/11/09 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely wear a full mask. I had one of the 1mm discs explode and if I had been wearing goggles I think I may have had my good looks spoiled

Goggles are just not good enough for grinding, cutting etc.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

MikeR

posted on 1/11/09 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
To me the definition of stupid is someone who doesn't learn.

Have a guess how many jumpers / jackets i've got with holes in the bottom just around the crown jewels i've got.

I'll give you a clue, i'm stupid.

Does provide entertainment when you realise your balls are on fire and your wearing welding gloves (i always wear welding gloves when angry grinding - just in case). In case you've not experienced it, the entertainment is the dilemma between using a full open gloved hand to 'pat' or hit the fire out and the realisation that you're about to smack yourself in the balls.

Strangely smacking yourself in the balls (lightly) always wins out.

Another tip - don't tell your mates in the pub why your late. From then on every time you turn up late they'll assume you've set fire to your crotch again.

gazza285

posted on 1/11/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Getting the wire brush caught in your shirt is always good fun too.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad-butcher

posted on 1/11/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Nylon tracksuit bottoms are a def no no, thought my calf felt warm one day looked down and my pants were on fire, like most of us 1st reaction was to put my hand on it to pat it out,how wrong could I be pushed the molten nylon onto my skin which instantly burnt into my skin, took hours of painfull picking to get the nylon out got a lovely scar about 3" x 2".

tony

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.