Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Jamming mig wire!
skinned knuckles

posted on 5/11/09 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Jamming mig wire!

I've been practicing my welding in advance of building my chassis and have picked up a SIP Migmate turbo. I amhaving a problem with the wire jamming and snagging just after the feed wheel, before it enters the tube. its doing this with different sizes of wire. i can get the wire all the way to the gun but a few seconds in to welding it jams. very frustrating as the wire needs cutting and re-feeding the whole length of its tube and out of the gun again. 2 simple welds that would normally take 2 minutes took 2 hours!! dont want to shell out too much but could dtretch to a new gun and tubes. any other suggestions?

could be that i just have a crap machine? that being the case, any suggestions for a budget mig?

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

coozer

posted on 5/11/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look on here...

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php

You'll find everything you need to know there...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

clairetoo

posted on 5/11/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly you have a crap machine (imho)
How much space is there between the feed roller's and the liner ? You could try pulling the liner right up to the rollers , and cutting chamfers on the liner , to eliminate any gap .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

chrsgrain

posted on 5/11/09 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
Sadly you have a crap machine (imho)

I think Claire is probably and unfortunately right... but if you message weldequip on the migwelding forum (above) then he may be able to suggest a better liner / feed wheels to get you going properly, very helpful bloke.

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Breaker

posted on 5/11/09 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps your feeding wheel doesn't allow some slip ? Normally you should set the feeding wheel so it starts to slip if you block the wire between your two fingers at the gun side.
jamiepearson69

posted on 5/11/09 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Go on the Mig Welding forum as stated above. There are loads of Mods you can do to the SIP to improve it.

I had a SIP 150 turbo and the wire feed drove me insane. I eventually sold it on Ebay for £130 and in the same week bought a Snap-on Mig 2nd hand for £230. I have never looked back!

Clarke welders are also supposed to be very good and parts are cheap and easy to get hold of.

will121

posted on 5/11/09 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
is it new spool of wire, as if its got surface rust on wire can increase sticking, tried keeping the run of the tube as straight as possible when welding? and what are the tips like if you been welding to close can melt at the end and reduce the hole diameter, just ideas to think of
clairetoo

posted on 5/11/09 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
My first welder was an SIP - the wire feed drove me mad allso....................it would either slip , or bundle up , then the fan wouldnt keep it cool enough so on the odd occasion that it would weld , it would cut out after a couple of minutes
I allso had an SIP compressor , till the tank cracked , and then the motor burned out.........these days I wont touch SIP stuff with a very long stick
I bought a Clarke 160 turbo , and it's been totally reliable for the last five years........

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

fesycresy

posted on 5/11/09 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem with my Cebora, which is a high end machine.

I changed the liner which solved the problem. It was that long ago I'm about to change it again now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

02GF74

posted on 5/11/09 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
do you know what is causing it to stick?

you need to keep the long snake like thing as stright as posisble, not sharp curves.

also is the tip in good nick?

is the wire melting back and wleding itself to the tip?

I had the latter on clarke MIG - turned out the monkeys put on wrong connectors for hte feed motor so that it wouldn't start on occasision.

if it is a new mechine, it may well be faulty - best get a mate ywho knows about using MIG to come and play to determine if is the tool or the workman!!

JeffHs

posted on 5/11/09 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
I agree the SIP is crap, but I put a steel liner in mine (cheapo from Machine Mart) and it works fine now.
Peteff

posted on 5/11/09 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 130 Autoplus for years and with a coiled liner it never had problems. Check the feed roller is not too tight on the wire and the liner extends as near to the rolls as possible.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

r1_pete

posted on 5/11/09 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Check the torch liner, over time the wire picks up bits of nylon from the nylon liner, and deposits it in the torch liner, this being a tightly wound spring. As the torch liner gets hot and melts the bits of nylon deposited, it creates drag on the welding wire. A soak in cellulose thinners and poke out with welding rod sorted mine.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gregf27

posted on 5/11/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
As already mentioned, change your liner,
swapped mine over on my clarke welder from plastic to steel after having similar problems , been great since. - got it off e-bay.

jacko

posted on 5/11/09 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Is the roller wheels the right ones for the size of wire?
Are the feed rollers to tight ?
is the tip the right size for the wire
Is the tip tight nip with pliers
Dose the wire have rust on it [ renew if so ]
is the liner the right length if not it will move back and forth if not renew
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
joolsmi16

posted on 5/11/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
welder

I've three sip welders and they all have a common problem...

You need to make a support bracket to secure the two wire wheels.

I bought the last one from welduk.com buy all my sip welders now work without fault.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 6/11/09 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joolsmi16
I've three sip welders and they all have a common problem...

You need to make a support bracket to secure the two wire wheels.

I bought the last one from welduk.com buy all my sip welders now work without fault.

Any piccies please?

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

40inches

posted on 6/11/09 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
HERE
Daddylonglegs

posted on 6/11/09 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers chap

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

skinned knuckles

posted on 6/11/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thamks for the tips fellas, the machine is practically new, the guy i got it from only tried to use it one before he gave up and got a pro welder to do the job for him. no rust on wire but the tension in the wheels is really high, otherwise they arent strong enough to push the wire through so probably a tube issue going by your comments. I have in desperation completely nackered the torch now so its off to ebay for me.

this is the fourth tool from sip that has been crap.

Thanks again.

BTW how does TIG compare when welding a chassis? similar to mig but you have to feed the filler rods yourself?

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

T66

posted on 7/11/09 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Oh Dear....

I have a SIP 150 Turbo and it has done my head in with feed problems. I have welded my Lada a lot as you can imagine !

It prefers 0.6 wire, and dont tighten the thumbwheel tensioner joke wheel too much.

I stupidly thought I was buying a decent "cheap" mig with the SIP.

Ive just swapped for for Clarke195 and it just works.

I did have a Clarke 120amp years ago and that always worked well.

Sell it and save on frustration, I even rang SIP UK and told them what a pile of poo it was after a wasted morning in the garage !

Get rid

wilkingj

posted on 7/11/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
I got rid of my SIP 150. I just couldnt get on with it. Simmilar wire feed problems.

Got a DC TIG off Ebay £192 delivered for a 200A machine.
That works a treat, although the wire slips through my fingers these days
Downside is the expensive Gas.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.