Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec RWD options
Sven

posted on 5/11/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec RWD options

I'm about to start building a MK Indy in the USA and I was going to slap a 04-06 R1 motor in it and be done. I found the SCCA autocross folks really hammer people with non-automotive based engines when they're classing cars for racing putting them into the same class as open wheeled unlimited racers.

So, I'm looking at banging in a 2.0L Zetec. I can get brand new (almost) complete Ford Motorsport Zetec 2.0L motors for cheap.

The trick now is to find a transmission, such as a T5 (like from a Sierra Cosworth) and bellhousing combination that will bolt to the Zetec. Also, a flywheel, clutch and starter combo.

The T5 is very available in the US, having been sold behind 4 cylinder Mustangs and the US Sierra derivative.

I'm willing to buy the parts from the UK and have them shipped if that's the best idea. My family all live there so it shouldn't be too much of a pain.

Any ideas?

-Steve

"Lightheadedness through quickness"

austin man

posted on 5/11/09 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
My understanding is that the great me Ford used the same bellhouse pattern so all ford rwd boxes can be mates to all ford engines. For example a 1990 Sierra or Granada box bolts to the 1959 anglia, difference being a spiggot bearing needs to be drifted into the crank. You may have to make your own clutch combination. I use the standard Zetec clutch and sierra thrust bearing a better bearing is meant to be the Capri thrust bearing

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Dusty

posted on 5/11/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
There are aftermarket bellhousings available if the mustang or merkur one doesn't mate up to the zetec. Try RWD motorsport. Only £180. Use the pinto/cosworth one.

[Edited on 5/11/09 by Dusty]

mookaloid

posted on 5/11/09 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
My understanding is that the great me Ford used the same bellhouse pattern so all ford rwd boxes can be mates to all ford engines. For example a 1990 Sierra or Granada box bolts to the 1959 anglia, difference being a spiggot bearing needs to be drifted into the crank. You may have to make your own clutch combination. I use the standard Zetec clutch and sierra thrust bearing a better bearing is meant to be the Capri thrust bearing

Er not quite true .... notable exceptions being the new Duratecs and the V6 engines. On the whole though correct

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 5/11/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Aren't they mazda engines?
mookaloid

posted on 5/11/09 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xtreme Kermit
Aren't they mazda engines?

You could say that about the duratec but the old essex and cologne V6's are definitely ford

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

norfolkluego

posted on 5/11/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 is lighter than a type 5 isn't it?
bj928

posted on 5/11/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
here you go for the trans, or you need something like a xr4ti bellhousing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-5-SPEED-T5-TRANSMISSION-REBUILT_W0QQitemZ280415483260QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=it em414a10b57c

i belive the 1.8 zetec flywheel is used. and if you use a black top engine, a race series in america has a waterpump that spins the other way so you can dump the power steering.

andkilde

posted on 5/11/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Sven

These guys:

http://quad4rods.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100041

are in Denver and provide all the bits you need to fit a zetec or duratec to a T5.

They're a little pricey compared to the British vendors but it's probably a wash once you add shipping.

You can also get brand new T5 units with the gear ratio and input shaft of your choice for about $1000 from Jegs, Summit and whatnot -- it's nice that the Mustang boys drive the prices down for us.

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bj928

posted on 5/11/09 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
Type 9 is lighter than a type 5 isn't it?

i would say yes, but the americans never got the type 9, the only sierra they got was an xr4ti and that had the t5, mk3 capris never sold state side, merkur granadas/scorpio i would guess never sold with a type 9 either, so finding a type 9 is going to be hard.

Sven

posted on 5/11/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming ... I know there is a LOT of interest stateside on this subject.

That's true, the Type 9 never sold here and it's pretty weak anyway I understand. I'd like the T5 ideally because it's strong enough for forced induction later and parts are cheap and plentiful here.

The Quads4Rods bell housing would also work well, but, like you say, once one factors in all the rest of the parts it's more expensive than the motor and transmission.

I know the Brit builders put Zetecs in RWD Locosts and just about everything else so there might be simpler options.

The Zetec already has the crank drilled for a pilot bearing.

-Steve

Sven

posted on 5/11/09 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Dusty, that bellhousing is half what Quads4Rods are charging over here for essentially the same thing. Also seems like the RWD Motorsport bell gives starter location options ...

I'm guessing a Contour/Mondeo or Focus manual flywheel and pressure plate with a 4 cylinder Mustang clutch (splines to suit the tranny) and a starter from a Mondeo or said Mustang would most likely work.

Maybe I need a few hours in the breakers yard taking measurements and photos.

-Steve

bj928

posted on 5/11/09 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
me and my mate have looked in depth at zetec stuff from state side as well as 95% of the parts on my car have been shipped from america, the only thing on my car from the uk other than the chassis, is the steering rack!!!
Sven

posted on 5/11/09 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bj928
me and my mate have looked in depth at zetec stuff from state side as well as 95% of the parts on my car have been shipped from america, the only thing on my car from the uk other than the chassis, is the steering rack!!!

And ... you found out what?

-Steve

bj928

posted on 6/11/09 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sven
quote:

And ... you found out what?

-Steve

found out that everything is very good quality and very cheap (normally), and the people are very helpful, i would say that you need to ship very little if anything from over here, just the knowlege from on here, my mate got his exhaust manifold and reverse waterpump from over there, although these where for a FWD.

bj928

posted on 6/11/09 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
some usefull bits at the end of this link with pics, and its the bits you need from stateside

http://www.focusfest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134145&page=2

Sven

posted on 6/11/09 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
some usefull bits at the end of this link with pics, and its the bits you need from stateside

http://www.focusfest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134145&page=2

Excellent stuff there, mate! It inspired a plan, a bodger in a shed plan ... we all like those ...

Buy a T5 transmission, a clutch friction plate and bell housing from a 4 cylinder Mustang or Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and a bell housing, starter, pressure plate and flywheel from a Contour or Focus and take a bunch of measurements.

I can then chop (as in mill) the back off the Contour bell housing and the front off the T5 bell housing and weld them both to an aluminum sandwich plate using the dowels they have in common to orient then correctly and keep them aligned.

The thinking is that the starter will bolt to the front of the Contour bell housing and the throw and teeth will match to the Contour flywheel. The pressure plate would also match the flywheel. The tranny would bolt right to the back of the bell housing and the friction plate would have the same splines as the transmission.

The Mustang and Turbo Coupe both came with the Lima 2.2-2.3L engine block which has a different bell housing bolt pattern to the Zetec.

I'd just need hope I can find a Mustang friction plate in the right diameter and find a pilot bearing with the correct dimensions and I'd be set.

I wonder about the clutch actuation ... might need to use a hydraulic clutch, such as this.

http://www.howeracing.com/p-7752-hydraulic-for-racing-clutches.aspx

Might have problems with the oil pan/sump and starter trying to be in the same place at the same time, but if I'm using the starter, bell housing, and flywheel off the same model car I figger it all works.

BTW, the Contour is the US version of the Mondeo.

This might just work ...

-Steve

[Edited on 11/6/2009 by Sven]

bj928

posted on 6/11/09 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
this might be of some use to you in finding vehicle that you could get bellhousing/transmission from.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto_engine#2.0_EAO

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.