Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Compressor Switch
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 11/11/09 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Compressor Switch

I have a large compressor which I plan to install on the mezzanine floor of my workshop. Its currently in storage so I haven't looked at it physically.
Is it easy enough to relocate the on/off switch so I don't have to get a ladder every time I want to start or stop it? I would imagine it is but anyone ever done it?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

flak monkey

posted on 11/11/09 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Yep should be as simple as removing the existing switch, joining the wires safely (or replacing if practical) then run the new cable to a wall mounted isolator which is fed from your main power.

Obviously make sure the isolator is rated high enough. Most are rated to a min of 32A anyway if you use a 3 phase one, and are generally less than £10.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

blakep82

posted on 11/11/09 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
i think the one on mine has some kind of pressure sensing apperatus (always wanted a proper use for that word ) inside it too

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

flak monkey

posted on 11/11/09 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Or you can just leave the existing switch in the on position (if its a pressure sensing one) and fit another switch on the end of the mains cable

[Edited on 11/11/09 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 11/11/09 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
I was always told this was really bad practice?! Not sure why though, unfortunately though the socket for it is on the mezzanine as well so there are no cable running from anywhere where I wouldn't need a ladder.

I'll just plan on relocating the switch

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Or you can just leave the existing switch in the on position (if its a pressure sensing one) and fit another switch on the end of the mains cable

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

blakep82

posted on 11/11/09 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
i was told this was a bad idea when i got mine too. something about the switch not resetting properly and causing some sort of damage or not turning off at the right time

quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
I was always told this was really bad practice?! Not sure why though, unfortunately though the socket for it is on the mezzanine as well so there are no cable running from anywhere where I wouldn't need a ladder.

I'll just plan on relocating the switch

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 11/11/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
I must admit I'd leave it plugged into to a switched extension cord, can't see the on/off switch on the compressor doing much other than switching the main power on /off anyway...
Peteff

posted on 11/11/09 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
The compressor switch will be a lot heavier duty than your socket switch so it will not arc as much. I would wire a dedicated spur in for it with something like this included.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Bluemoon

posted on 11/11/09 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
You should never switch the compressor remotely by the mains to it..

The problem is that the compressor vents the high pressure air from compressor/pump cylinder on switching off (that's the hiss sound you get on once up to pressure). If you stop it before this happens (without using the off button on the compressor) next time you turn on it will probably not start and burn out the motor... Hence it's not a good idea..

I guess you might get away with it if you are careful when you switch off (i.e. only once up to pressure).. The trouble is if the pressure drops in the air reciver (tank) with it off (i.e. a small leak, or you use a tool) it will switch the motor "on" mechanically pressurizing the pump. Then when you switch the power to the compressor the motor will burn out..

Dan

[Edited on 11/11/09 by Bluemoon]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 11/11/09 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have it on a proper switched 16A supply.

[Edited on 11/11/09 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

dan__wright

posted on 11/11/09 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
thw switch on most cuts the power and releases a valve that releases, pressure from the feed, this closes a one way valve (this is the woosh noise you get when it turns off) so the compress pump is at atmosphere pressure, not 100 odd psi meaning it can start softly.

compare the sound it makes to just turning it off then on while its running.

you could do it safely by killing the power only when the compressor is not running as it will have already dropped the pressure on the compressor

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

dan__wright

posted on 11/11/09 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon

The problem is that the compressor vents the high pressure air from compressor/pump cylinder on switching off (that's the hiss sound you get on once up to pressure). If you stop it before this happens (without using the off button on the compressor) next time you turn on it will probably not start and burn out the motor... Hence it's not a good idea..

I guess you might get away with it if you are careful when you switch off (i.e. only once up to pressure).. The trouble is if the pressure drops in the air reciver (tank) with it off (i.e. a small leak, or you use a tool) it will switch the motor "on" mechanically pressurizing the pump. Then when you switch the power to the compressor the motor will burn out..

Dan

its actualy the air pressure from the pump that opens the valve so should be fine.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Bluemoon

posted on 11/11/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan__wright
quote:

Dan

its actualy the air pressure from the pump that opens the valve so should be fine.

Not quite sure what you mean by that, I think what you are saying is once vented you are o.k, the pressure can drop as there is a one way valve or something similar from the tank??

Thus so long as you switch off the power when the compressor is off you should be o.k. Come to think of it I think that's what mine does (it's been in storage for two years, memory is fussy!)

Dan

jacko

posted on 11/11/09 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Dan

So that's why my motor burnt out

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.