Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: problems with Renault Clio
trogdor

posted on 14/11/09 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
problems with Renault Clio

Hi everyone,

I have just brought a Renault Clio for my wife, our daily Audi 80 was written off recently

Anyway for the meantime we have brought a renault clio, its low miles and in good condition.

However the clutch bite point is very high, to the point to where it is difficult to drive. I suspect that this is the clutch but could it be the cable they are susposed to automatically adust but it may be seized.

There should be some slack in the cable at rest but there isn't could this be the adjuster seizing up or someone trying to make the clutch last longer?

So what do people think? seized adjuster or new clutch? If a new clutch is needed how difficult is it on these clios? the car is a k reg 1.4RN model.

Cheers

prawnabie

posted on 14/11/09 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
The clutch pedals have a habit of bending on these and buggering the adjuster. If not its new clutch im afraid.

Pretty easy job on the mk1's. You may need to drop the subframe a little but other than that its an ok job.

l0rd

posted on 14/11/09 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
You could take the clutch pedal out and check it. It might be that the adjuster is completely buggered as it is plastic.

In our Renault 21, we had to change the adjuster on 180K miles and the first clutch on 195K miles.

I remember though, the clutch was engaging quite low in that case and then went of completely.

I was told that it is a pita to change the clutch, at least on mine which was a 1.8 8v and would cost me £450 including parts.

Depending on the version of clio, You can remove the gearbox or you can pull it on the side but this will make your life difficult as there isn't too much space to work.

Dropping the subframe is another option. I don't know how easy it's going to be though.

trogdor

posted on 14/11/09 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Well it can't be worse than removing a seized engine from a berlingo and replacing it with a different one. That was a nightmare, however i have been reading the haynes manual and it looks like a adjuster maybe knackered.

There should be at least 20mm of free play in the cable however there isn't any play at all so as soon as you push the clutch it moves the arm. So if i repair the adjuster so it gives the correct play the bite point will move down the pedal travel.

I don't think that the clutch is too worn as it doesn't slip at all.

l0rd

posted on 14/11/09 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
What would be the mileage on the car?
trogdor

posted on 14/11/09 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
oops should of said! 89,000 miles
britishtrident

posted on 14/11/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Its run out of adjustment not surprising on a high miler -- 89K is a lot for a small car of that era.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 14/11/09 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
i paid 150 quid for mine and its on its second year.....may require tyres soon but has only cost 60 quid a year for parts.
The only things that have a problem is the sunroof leaks....and all the body strips all fall off.
Other than that it gets zero attention and it never gets washed.
The tie rod end and the pads got changed for the last mot.
Plan is to run it in to the ground banger nomics style

[Edited on 14-11-09 by mangogrooveworkshop]

l0rd

posted on 14/11/09 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
My clio was on 128K before i broke it for parts and the clutch was spot on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.