Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help with Blade starting
Lightning

posted on 10/4/04 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Help with Blade starting

I have had the blade engine started before. Today it revved once, then tried to start again ,having none of it.
Checked fuel to carbs...OK
Took out pluge...soaking. Turned over withouut plugs to blow out fuel... Checked spark on plugs ..OK.
Put plugs back in and still no joy. Puzzled.
Not being used to bike engines, what is the best way to start them.
Tempted to use choke but dont want to flood it.
Whats the best way to blow things through. Same as a car ,full throttle?
If it ran before therefore the spark timing surely is ok.
Help.

Steve

Peteff

posted on 10/4/04 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
We had a battle with a Yamaha Diversion yesterday. It was trying to fire but wouldn't start. The spark was very weak so we tried cleaning the plugs, then there was no spark at all. They had only done 600 miles but we swapped them for new NGK ones and it ran straight away. Binned the old ones and it starts first touch now.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Lightning

posted on 10/4/04 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have to get new plugs...BUT

I just weny for a burn down the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clutch works, brakes work...thank god!

Fan cut in ..but to my suprise blew the air foward not back.

Micra rad and fan

Oooo errr

What have others done

Never mind still had a blast!!!!!

Steve

Berwyn

posted on 10/4/04 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
RE: blew the air foward not back.
Eh ! . my micra rad sucks air in. If you are sure this is the problem, make sure you are switching on the earth, not the live, as it is designed to switch on earth. Of course, if it is wired backwards, the fan will run backwards

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not

Lightning

posted on 10/4/04 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just looked at wiring and it is switched n the live . Will swop the wires around.
I have to say the clutch was not as bad as I thought it would be , quite progressive.
Also pleased that the car doesnt bottom on the brow of the hill up my drive.
I forgot to mension I havnt got a tank yet, as its still being made. Went down the road with green plastic tank on the passengers seat and the hose draped in.
I now only have to bolt the seats in ,bolt in the harnesses and fit the wind deflector.

Steve

Hellfire

posted on 10/4/04 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
NGK Spark Plugs

There is a very strong thread going around the Yahoo Forum about flooding your plugs... specifically irridium one's. The subject matter is that once you flood the irridium one's they will not re-start whether they are cleaned or not! You can tell Irridium one's as they have waisted down centre with an annular groove on the top (very small).

I must add that we flooded our plugs and found it difficult to restart, but when new plugs were put in, it started first time. BUT, the old one's had a MASSIVE gap... we haven't tried the old one's since so we've reached no conclusion as to above subject.

To summarise - I'm curious as to whether anyone else has had problems with precious metal (irridium plugs) after flooding. If you have - please post as it will be in your collective interests.

Peteff

posted on 10/4/04 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Iridium plugs.

We didn't have a problem with them, they were £7+ each so we didn't buy them

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Lightning

posted on 16/4/04 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
How much for NGK plugs. I just went to local dealer and was told £8.oo each !!!!

Is there somewhere anyone can recommend to get some

Thanks

Steve

Peteff

posted on 16/4/04 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I got the replacements for the Divvy from spares shop the wife drives for on Saturdays. I think they were CR8es and were £12.72 for 4 inc. vat. Bike shop wanted £24+ for same plugs.

[Edited on 16/4/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

Lightning

posted on 16/4/04 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Pete

Mine are CR9EH-9 Can I use the ones you said . What is the difference?

Steve

Peteff

posted on 16/4/04 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
CR9E are £2.71 + vat. I don't know what the H-9 bit signifies. That makes them the same price as the ones we bought for the divvy. I think the difference is the heat range so probably best left alone.
Found the H-9 bit, it's just the tip and gap specs so they are same bog standard plugs not platinum or iridium.

[Edited on 16/4/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

alister667

posted on 16/4/04 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Mine are NGK CR9EH-9 and have been in and out of my engine like a fiddlers elbow! There doesn't seem to be a problem once I give them a clean and reset the gap (I think it was in around 30 thou or maybe 32 - it's in the haynes somewhere).
They cost about 8 quid apiece and came from a honda dealer.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 17/4/04 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
I asked this morning.

The CR9EH-9 are different to CR9E. The electrode and insulator are different. They are dearer than the CR9E but not £8 each with staff discount.. If the postage isn't too much I could send some. Do you want to look into it?

[Edited on 17/4/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

Lightning

posted on 17/4/04 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thabks very much for the offer Pete, but I bit the bullet today and bought some. The engine fires first time now and runs sweet.

Just hope they last a while.

Picked up the tank today BTW. From local chap. Ali with baffle plate. £70.00 Made to measure. Nice job.

Steve

mdc124

posted on 22/1/05 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Follow up

Just to add another post to this in case anyone needs to find this problem.

My engine just stopped firing - ran on thursday night - friday nothing. (it's been off road for a year and the mot was due today - but thats a different story)

Cleaned plugs - ran for 10 secs - died
Cleaneda gain - 5 secs (after alot of swearing) - died

£35 of CR9EH-9 later - fired up first tickle.

Seems these plugs just dont like fouling up.

Key words: Plug fouling, NGK CR9EH, Fireblade, spark plug, problem

i know this is one huge knowledge base - i just wish it was easier to find things - anyone want a wiki?

Http://www.farend.co.uk/

The first MK Turnkey Indy

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 22/1/05 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Had same prob myself whilst engine was still in bike.
Advice I got was its a common problem, often caused by trying to start with a weak battery, then a flooded engine.
The cure, apart from a charged battery, is cleaning, then cooking the plugs over a gas ring and putting them back in warm, just as those who used to ride 2 strokes will probably have done in the winter.
Running the flooded plugs out will see them arcing down the centre electrode.

Even so I would like a shiny new set of CR9EH-9, whats the best place/ price, including post anyone?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

shortie

posted on 23/1/05 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Same for me aswell, tried old plugs and fiddling with them a bit, new plugs in and vroooommm, sweet.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.