Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX12R A1 Removing Neutral to Start, TRE & clutch help.
bigbravedave

posted on 19/11/09 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
ZX12R A1 Removing Neutral to Start, TRE & clutch help.

I got my stuart-taylor seven through SVA earlier in the year and have done 1100 miles in the past 5 months, but have done nothing to the car other than drive it. On the long list of “things to do to it but haven’t looked into how to” are:

Removing the safety lockout that means you have to be in Neutral to start, what’s the best way to do this as I know full well I will spin it and be sat stalled probably mid corner fumbling round for neutral to start it.

TRE’s Timing retard eliminators, rumour has it zx12r’s retard the timing in low gears as a safety feature, and if you wire the 1st 2nd and 3rd gear position switch outputs to the 4th gear ECU input it should prevent timing retard.

Im running a speedo healer to use the original clocks will this have completely removed the op speed indicator by fooling it that it’s going slower than it is?

Also a few folk have mentioned the clutches on A1’s are fragile and lack lubrication and I should change it for a later models assembly, which bits do you change and why?

Many thanks in advance

belgian2b

posted on 19/11/09 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,

you can bypass the power restriction by adding a "G pack".

http://direct.nikkoracing.com/boutique_us/liste_produits.cfm?type=2&code_lg=lg_us&num=1

Gerardo

[Edited on 19/11/09 by belgian2b]

imp paul

posted on 19/11/09 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
zx12r does not need a tre like the Suzuki it only has a speed limiter here is the fix but i cant see you hitting 180mph + to hit it lol but here you go http://www.muzzys.com/MZPM-K12/index.html
imp paul

posted on 19/11/09 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
as for the clutch just fit a new set of genuine plates and some ape springs check your steels are ok if you like you can mod the basket centre drum with small holes for oil to pass but i would try new bits first see how you go

[Edited on 19/11/09 by imp paul]

belgian2b

posted on 19/11/09 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,

sorry Paul, but as far as i know, the standard Ecu on the ZX12 does limit torque on first and second gear.

So , if you want full power, you have to go for a G Pack.
It will let the Ecu believe taht 3 and 4 gear are engaged.

Gerardo

eddbaz

posted on 19/11/09 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression that the zx12r a1 model the one that is refered as the full power version has no built in restrictions.
bigbravedave

posted on 19/11/09 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the posts.

I keep finding conflicting posts on zx12r torque limiting in 1st 2nd and 3rd, there are firms selling dedicated zx12r TRE's I wonderinging if its region specific.

The clutch to date has been spot on, the (2001) engine was almost new when I got it (thats how long it took me to finish it!) but id be interested to see how it survives.

So then how do I get round the neutral to start lockout?

Smartripper

posted on 19/11/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,

Removing neutral start is easy, just fit a clutch switch like the bike has,

When pressing clutch then you can start the bike in every gear.

Daniel

imp paul

posted on 21/11/09 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
its your call spend your penny's take your chances .i don't know any 1 even in rgb racing with such a problem. re nicko pack i would fit a +4 degree trigger this will help you make even more power and better bang for your bucks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.