Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HID lights, whats the crack?
omega0684

posted on 22/11/09 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
HID lights, whats the crack?

What are they?

Whats the difference between them and norml headlights?

Are they legal?

Cheers

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 22/11/09 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
very bright white light, run at thousands of volts i think. you get them on all new bmws, mercs, etc, and even on some others like fiat puntos etc now.

all legal as long as installed properly. must be self leveling and have a washer system though

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 22/11/09 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
you can use HID lights but you have to have fitted auto light levellers - which basically is a switch mounted to the chassis and the suspension - so if the car is rear loaded heavy the lights go in the air - the switch then compensates to lower the light - and vice versa - its a legal requirement
Ninehigh

posted on 22/11/09 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
It's the new(er) thing, but LEDs are coming in now.

Beware they cost loads to replace!

tegwin

posted on 22/11/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
I have them on my polo (came as standard with them)

They have high pressure heated washers and self leveling system controled by the ECU.

I would never drive a car out of choice without them now, they are fantastic! They use a projector lens to direct the light exactly where its needed, so no dazzle...

Bulbs come in different frequencies... I have 6000K bulbs fitted, the cost about £40 each.....

Having said that, I did have a Seat Leon Cupra R for a few weeks fitted with aftermarket HID bulbs (in a diffusing housing rather than the typical projector housing associated with HID lighs) and they were crap... they just lit up everything appart from the road, and with any moisture on the road the reflection was blinding...

[Edited on 22/11/09 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

disco_biscuit

posted on 22/11/09 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I have 6000k after market HID's fitted to my IBIZA Cupra and also had the on my M-Roadster.

One of the best upgrades i've done, far superior to any bulb upgrade.

dlatch

posted on 22/11/09 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
the problem with the HID lights is they blot out all us poor people with regular lights
not to mention blind you when they behind
i even see people with hid lights driving with front fogs on too how blind are these people

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyharding

posted on 22/11/09 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by disco_biscuit
I have 6000k after market HID's fitted to my IBIZA Cupra and also had the on my M-Roadster.

One of the best upgrades i've done, far superior to any bulb upgrade.

Retro fitted HIDs in a Halogen housing are illegal and dazzle other road users.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Daddylonglegs

posted on 22/11/09 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to be a party pooper, but if they are supposed to have an automatic self-leveller by law, how come most don't seem to work!?

I am seemingly continuously blinded by the damn things

I hate 'em!

God knows what it'l be like when I get my 7 on the road, I'll be even lower in the car

dlatch, in answer to your question.....Very Blind!

Rant over

[Edited on 22/11/09 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

adithorp

posted on 22/11/09 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
HID = High Intensity gas Discharge

The bulb has no filament and works (basically) by igniting the gas betreen 2 electrodes. This requires very high voltage to initiate (hence the warnings on the amplifiers) but once ignited uses less power than a standard bulb for more light output.
The down side is that the light is more easily defected by dirty lenses, hence the reqirement for washers. The additional brightness makes alignment more critical, hence the requirement for a leveling system.
The bulbs are more reliable than filament bulbs but have a fixed life of so many 1000hours (don't know the number). Down side is that when one goes you should expect the other to soon follow so change the bulbs in pairs. WV/Audi price...£100 each!

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.