Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric guitars
Johneturbo

posted on 24/11/09 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Electric guitars

Any Shredders on here

I've got an old Aria pro2, i've had it about 20yrs how. been stored away about 19 of them

i'd love a new guitar, maybe a ibenez jem steve vai signature
but at £800 thats no gona happen.

so what i was thinkin is to bring my aria up to better spec ie change the pickups to the Dimarzio evolutions as in the jems

now would that make much different to the feel and sound of mine, or would i just be wasting money!?

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 24/11/09 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
not really a shredder as such but I have a semi-acoustic archtop with a split neck and a really great sounding Ibanez acoustic in black. Building an acoustic is on the list of projects.

I am only learning really but I like to play fingerstyle and a bit of blues

zilspeed

posted on 24/11/09 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
Any Shredders on here

I've got an old Aria pro2, i've had it about 20yrs how. been stored away about 19 of them

i'd love a new guitar, maybe a ibenez jem steve vai signature
but at £800 thats no gona happen.

so what i was thinkin is to bring my aria up to better spec ie change the pickups to the Dimarzio evolutions as in the jems

now would that make much different to the feel and sound of mine, or would i just be wasting money!?

Well.....

As a long time sufferer of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) I feel your pain brother.

The pickups may be the same as the ones in the Ibanez, but what about the rest of the setup. The guitar itself will play a major part as will any fx which he might use then of course, the holy grail of the whole setup, the amp and speakers.

Having said all of that.

I currently play my five string Jazz through an elderly Peavey TNT and I sound like me. When I played it throught the Trace Elliot and Ashdown stacks which I had in years gone by, I sounded like - yep you've guessed it - me.

When playing guitar, the tele goes into my Johnson JT50 Mirage and I sound like me. If I plug it into a Boogie, again I sound like me.

I guess what I'm saying here is that hwo you actually play the instrument will have a far bigger effect on your sound than the gear you play.
Vai would sound like Vai on your Aria Pro II.
You would sound like you on Vai's rig.

Get the p'ups if you want, but dont expect instant Mojo, buy them because you want to.

JoelP

posted on 24/11/09 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
no idea as i play a crap chinese axe, but i guess if you havent played in 19 years, a bit of practice might be a cheaper way to get it sounding nice! Or have you just been playing other guitars in that time?!

damn you im meant to be doing paperwork and instead im about to rock!

[Edited on 24/11/09 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

RK

posted on 24/11/09 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
That's a nice axe. Unless you want a different look, leave it and start playing around with your amp and pedals. .
Johneturbo

posted on 24/11/09 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Great comments and tips guys.

Yep i do suffer from GAS! good job i've not been into any music stores lately

I think part of it is trying to get some inspiration to practice, as i've had the same amp guitar/ sound, i mean i nearly ended up buying a vox tonelab se the other day, so i've got it bad.

RK maybe i should think about a pedal instead just to give myself a new sound, as at the moment i only have the aria and marshall master reverb 30 amp.

sorry about your're paperwork joelP
you could aways stick it in the shredder

johnston

posted on 24/11/09 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
I changed my pick ups on a jap P-bass made a big difference, but had I not been in a band I probably not have bothered.

If its just for at home a bit of fiddling with a pedal and on the amp and you'll be grand, I bought a cheapy that has an amp simulator built in does as much for the tone as anything and probably cheaper than a set of pick ups.

Also it comes down to personal preference I like the sound of my epiphone t-bird going straight into my fender amp my mate prefers his washburn 5 string going into his trace elliot .

mr henderson

posted on 24/11/09 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you want it to play like a Jem you will need to flatten the rear of the neck somewhat. It's possible to do on most guitars as long as the trussrod adjustment is at the headstock end (excepting fender style maple necks) as almost cetainly the trussrod will be housed in an 10mm aluminium box under the fretboard and you can take wood off the back safely.

Sound wise there is the pickups, of course, but also the Floyd Rose, which because the strings are clamped and the bridge design is very rigid, does contribute a good deal to the sustain.

Did I mention the fretwire, I'm pretty sure all the Jems use Jim Dunlop 6100, a refret in this wire would be good, but unless you could do it yourself you would be into a diminishing returns scenario

Does you guitar have a floating tremolo?

(I can't hardly play at all, but I do know a bit about electric guitars)

Madinventions

posted on 24/11/09 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Flog it and buy a bass... it's like a guitar, only better.

Ed.

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

mr henderson

posted on 24/11/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just noticed you are in High Wycombe, not far from me. If you are not sure your guitar is set up right I could have a look at it FOC

Benzine

posted on 24/11/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have an ernie ball jp7 ^_^ Great guitar

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
johnston

posted on 24/11/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Madinventions
Flog it and buy a bass... it's like a guitar, only better.

Ed.

bassists always do it better

gazza285

posted on 24/11/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with the Aria, good players guitars in their day, still have two myself.

Cheap, yet surprisingly good pickup? Try importing some Mighty Mite Motherbuckers from eBay US. I liked them so much that I've got them in six of my guitars.

Image deleted by owner

[Edited on 24/11/09 by gazza285]

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cjtheman

posted on 24/11/09 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
the aria pro 2 is a good guitar but as said would need to be setup to get the best out of
i got a kramer myself and love it for a good rock sound
cheers
colin

wanted

sunny weather

sva pass 12/6/09
taxed 16/6/09

deezee

posted on 24/11/09 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I also suffer the burden of ownership of an Aria Pro II (15yrs old!!). Its great on paper, but plays like a dog, compared to my other guitars. It all stems from the crap timber its made from. Don't know about yours, but my Aria Pro II is made out of some kind of plywood or block wood. The resonance on it is terrible and screws have worked loose as the awful timber has worn. The pickups are far to tinny and have a really irritating presence to them.

I think your best off changing the pickups over to an active set (or at least a complete rewire with new pickups). The floyd rose licensed trem on mine needed new springs and the whole action sorted by a proper guitar tech, so maybe yours also suffers from that?

Johneturbo

posted on 25/11/09 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I never knew there are so many strummers on here
and the odd slapper too

and also a Aria pro2 appreciation society
mine is the XR version.

well i've got a lot to think about anyway, great tips and ideas guys

Mr H thanks for the offer, i'm up in Aylesbury a few times in the car, there are a few kits up there.

Blue MK indy blade engine
petronas coloured MK also blade engine
and also zzr14 dax rush

you might know them

[Edited on 25/11/09 by Johneturbo]

gazza285

posted on 25/11/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
The one I pictured is my XR series, with a Kahler trem. I've fitted a Mighty Mite humbucker and it's a massive improvement on the original. I've left the single coils, as these are a rather strange shape, and not easily replaced. Coil tapped the humbucker, and fitted a treble bleed as well. There's nothing wrong with these guitars, it holds it's own in my collection, even though it was the cheapest.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

rgdavid

posted on 26/11/09 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
i'm a crap player but like to make interesting phycodelic/rock/punk noises,

did some production drawings (still got'em) for patrick eggle guitars & me dad designed a fret slotting machine for him,

really like to understand more about pickups,

[Edited on 26/11/09 by rgdavid]

Angel Acevedo

posted on 26/11/09 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
A vaccine for GAS would be the Line6 lineup of Electronic Modeling Guitars and amplifiers.
You may select different sounds with one instrument.
If you get tired of one sound you just flick a switch.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

Rob Bartley

posted on 27/11/09 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting point Angel.

I play guitar in a party covers band and use a Line 6 Variax 700 guitar with the Line 6 Vetta II combo amp. Due to the requirement to go from a 70's funk sound, acoustic sounds through to a massive saturated rock tone, the combination of the guitar and amp works great. But, you have to work and fiddle around to get the tone you want, which isn't a problem as i love messing around.

In your shoes Johneturbo, as a few others have said the best thing to do would be to replace the pickup as it sounds like you enjoy the shred tone and maybe spend a few quid on a little effects unit.

Cheers, Rob.

I WILL get out again!!

I have a little bit......need more......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.