Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: back bone chassis
smart51

posted on 29/11/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
back bone chassis

I know back bone chassies can be very stiff in torsion but isn't there a risk that they'll bend so that the wheels on one side are closer together than the other?

This particular car has a metal frame in the body tub for crash / rollover / side impact protection. Rescued attachment F16 chassis front.jpg
Rescued attachment F16 chassis front.jpg

speedyxjs

posted on 29/11/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Nice pic but i wouldnt be too happy having a crash in that, even if the body is 'safe'

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

iank

posted on 29/11/09 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't even call that one a backbone. More two subframes connected by a small tube. A real backbone is much larger in cross section and often triangulated.

Like this:

or:

So in answer to your question, it depends on the strength of the backbone, but it's unlikely in a properly designed one while still being more likely than in a decent spaceframe/monocoque. In the one you show the body is going to have to be a decent monocoque to avoid it.

[Edited on 29/11/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

britishtrident

posted on 29/11/09 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly all backbone chassis are really only part of the structure the body stiffens them a lot.

The only backbone chassis I can think of that didn't transfer any chassis loads the body was the Triumph Herald.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

blakep82

posted on 30/11/09 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
here's aproper backbone chassis

that other one looks like it'll twist all over the place. i wouldn't go near it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

t.j.

posted on 30/11/09 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I know back bone chassies can be very stiff in torsion but isn't there a risk that they'll bend so that the wheels on one side are closer together than the other?

This particular car has a metal frame in the body tub for crash / rollover / side impact protection.

The upper ball-joint mounting - wishbone looks tiny to me!

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

MikeRJ

posted on 30/11/09 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t.j.
The upper ball-joint mounting - wishbone looks tiny to me!

Stupendously under-engineered, much like the chassis IMO. I can't believe that is a finished design?

Perhaps the designer is planning for any slight wheel loadings to simply tear off the wheel before the entire chassis folds in half like a book?

Benonymous

posted on 1/12/09 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
The front and rear sub-frames are going to be able to apply a huge amount of torsion to that wimpy "backbone". As it stands, I wouldn't even call that a chassis either. If the body is substantial and rigidly bolted to the sub-frames it might be OK but here in Australia the finished chassis would be subjected to a torsion test and the metalwork we see here would fail that miserably. I like the Lotus Europa backbone, even though they rusted like bastards!
Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
No way would I even consider getting in that!

I reckon a few miles around where I live and the potholes would destroy it in minutes!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.