Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: kit car aesthetics
cd.thomson

posted on 30/11/09 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
kit car aesthetics

for those who watched top gear with the hawk kit Clarkson had a bit of a dig over the looks - although in that case that wasn't the fault of the kit itself, more the original car.

Now I'm 22 and I know what a stratos looks like, so I don't look at the kit and think "thats funny looking". Most of our cars, however, are based on a car built before my lifetime and certainly actual lotus sevens are few and far between.

Is this the reason why, when I showed a lovely lady friend a picture of what my car will look like when its finished, she burst out laughing and demanded I wear a noddy hat while driving it?

I was pretty gutted tbh!

"I thought it was going to be like a ford fiesta or something, not noddys car"

[Edited on 30/11/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

daniel mason

posted on 30/11/09 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
some girl said my car was like "chitty chitty bang bang" felt the same as you do i imagine!
55ant

posted on 30/11/09 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
same happened to me mate. but then i said she was fugly so were even.

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

James

posted on 30/11/09 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
for those who watched top gear with the hawk kit Clarkson had a bit of a dig over the looks - although in that case that wasn't the fault of the kit itself, more the original car.

Now I'm 22 and I know what a stratos looks like, so I don't look at the kit and think "thats funny looking". Most of our cars, however, are based on a car built before my lifetime and certainly actual lotus sevens are few and far between.

Is this the reason why, when I showed a lovely lady friend a picture of what my car will look like when its finished, she burst out laughing and demanded I wear a noddy hat while driving it?

I was pretty gutted tbh!

"I thought it was going to be like a ford fiesta or something, not noddys car"

[Edited on 30/11/09 by cd.thomson]

You'll get that from some people... usually girls I'm afraid to say.

I told one friend about it and she seemed think I was talking about making it from Mechano!

Don't build this car thinking it's a way to pull women- whatever they say in Max Power a car is not that way.
And if she's the sort of girl who's attracted to you by what car you drive... do you want that sort of girl!!!

Don't take it to heart, build it, drive it, enjoy it. If you wanna pull women, get a haircut*, moisturise* and get a different hobby!

Cheers,
James

*I have no idea what you look like- just used to illustrate a point!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 30/11/09 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
some girl said my car was like "chitty chitty bang bang" felt the same as you do i imagine!

I've heard the term "Brum" several times.

At the end of the day, they do look a bit like that- blame the headlights!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

cd.thomson

posted on 30/11/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
haha, sorry I'm not trying to pull her! I was more gutted than something I put time and money (lots of money..) into is a bit of a joke! TBF my guy mates are pretty excited about it.

Wakeskating is generally cool enough to attract women anyway

Craig

vinny1275

posted on 30/11/09 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
For most of those people, a ride in most seven-alikes would make them go quite quiet quite quickly.....

tegwin

posted on 30/11/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Atleast when a girl asks you what your car looks like you can tell her "it looks like a noddy car"

Unlike me who struggles to explain what a TVR is, let alone what one looks like ffs!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/11/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Dare I ask – Is it yellow with red wings?

tbh I think Noddy's car was styled on a 2 seater Austin 7 like this

linky

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 30/11/09 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
the fact its bright yellow is what ruined it I think.. I'm sure they look a bit more "rugged" in black.

Craig

Findlay234

posted on 30/11/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah 'most' girls will never understand but in the same way that 'some' guys will never understand. "Why get a powerful car" one of my mates said, "its just something to get you from a to b..." Another thought his engine had 2 cylinders. Almost everyone asks why my car doesnt have a windscreen....

Now if it was full bodied and had a recognised badge on it (ferrari, porsche, lambo, etc, etc) then there might have been a bit more interest but as james says is that the type of girl you want.

PS bear in mind the use of MOST and SOME as generalisations. there are plenty of girls who probably know more about cars than me....

blakep82

posted on 30/11/09 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
any birds that have seen my car have been quite complimentary really
the worst i've had was 'are you allowed to make your own car?' i say, every car has to be made at some point.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mr henderson

posted on 30/11/09 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Dare I ask – Is it yellow with red wings?

tbh I think Noddy's car was styled on a 2 seater Austin 7 like this

Fiat Topolino, I think you'll find

mr henderson

posted on 30/11/09 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I don't expect she'll be laughing when you've taken her for a drive in it.

blakep82

posted on 30/11/09 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:

I don't expect she'll be laughing when you've taken her for a drive in it.

if the engine's fairly solidly mounted, she might like it even more

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cd.thomson

posted on 30/11/09 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
tbh blake I think I'd rather she chased me for that kind of enjoyment than a ride in my car

Craig

blakep82

posted on 30/11/09 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
thought we were talking about the car here

edit: or what if she wanted you to give her the ride in your car? (notice the ride, not a ride )

[Edited on 30/11/09 by blakep82]

James

posted on 30/11/09 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Those girls I have taken out in it have generally enjoyed it I think.

My girlfriend kind of enjoys it although complains it messes up her hair (she doesn't mind this on *her* bike though!). Hence the forthcoming full screen and roof so we can go in it more.

Most of my other female friends who've been in it have enjoyed it- although most of my girl friends are pretty much mental anyway which may explain it!

Cheers,
James

MikeFellows

posted on 30/11/09 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've the worlds most random girlfriend.

loves track days, although will never take any of the cars out herself. she will sit being a passenger all day.

She was really excited about building a car, came down to MK with me as she wanted to see it. It became 'our' project and we placed the order.

how many times has she been out an helped so far with the build? none. and her reasoning? its cold and dirty!

women are just generally random in my experience.

Mike

dhutch

posted on 30/11/09 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah theres certainly a fair few girls who seam to like them.
- I have a few freinds and a mate gf who always ask for a spin out it when there visit or i vist them in the kit.

yellow wesfeild, never had any noddy ref's yet although i had brum once

mum also discribes it as 'having some of the atributes of a car' which is maybe fair is harsh.

Daniel

MikeRJ

posted on 30/11/09 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Did he? The episode I saw he basically suggested that all the faults could be forgiven just because of its looks.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 30/11/09 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
When we are out in the car the lass enjoys the experience.
Its a BEC so its a wee bit hairy for her to pilot.
Other times Macspeedy and I have been out we get loads of girls and boys asking questions about it.
The young ones love it and the boy racers round here respect it....something to do with scotlad and a mental track experience up at Crail.....

Never had any bad words about the yellow one.
Perhaps its the type of girls you hang around with. I even get demands for the 7 to be taken out on a blat.....

splitrivet

posted on 30/11/09 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
I think most women would think a car with seperate mudguards as being like noddy's car. But in saying that if you pick your hobbies/wheels as to whether they would pick up girlies you'd be one sad puppy, but there again a Ferrari and a wallet full of wonger may be a different proposition.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

russbost

posted on 30/11/09 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
It's funny, but I never have a problem in explaining what my car looks like - women seem to be quite attracted by it too!!!

[img]http:// Speed Chills Girls
Speed Chills Girls
[/img]

It's been called many things! But never compared to Noddys' car!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
andrew.carwithen

posted on 30/11/09 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I've had several complimentary remarks from the fairer sex about my car.
Mind you, they've all been of a 'certain' age - i.e. post-menopausal!!!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.