Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance usage question
ash_hammond

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance usage question

Me and the Mrs are having a friendly debate over the usage of the car inconjunction with the wording of the policy.

She is a teacher and 99.9% of the time goes to the same fixed location. Occasionally they asked her to go on a training course.

The wording on the policy is "Social, domestic or pleasure purposes including regular travel to or from a permanent place of work. Excluding use by the policyholder or any driver for any business use, racing, rallies, competitions or trials"

I say she is not insured to go to a training course as its not her permanent place of work.

She disagrees.

Anyone care to comment on who may be right.

-- Ash

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

asn163

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ash,

I would agree with your view.

Simon

JoelP

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
only an issue if they define 'perminant'. What if she changed job next year?

I discuss this occationally with my employee when i ask him to drive to jobs!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

owelly

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I was told by an isnurance broker a few years ago, if you are claiming travelling (mileage or time) in conjunction with work, then you need to have cover for work use.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I work for a company whose parent firm has about a dozen offices scattered over the UK, plus a few abroad. My main office that I work from is about 15 miles away, although sometimes I'm required to attend meetings in different locations.

When it came to renewing my insurance, I explained the situation to insurer and they said that I would be covered by a "social, domestic, please & commuting policy". As long as the vehicle isn't used for specific work purposes such as a plumber or sparky transporting goods or tools associated with the trade, or you claim mileage expenses on a regular basis, then commuting would suffice.

I think it's down to personal interpretation and if you use the vehicle for sole a designated job. The most I ever have to take with me is the laptop, which is insured by the company directly should I ever lose it.

Still, I always ask to ensure there can be no misunderstanding!

[Edited on 30/11/09 by Charlie_Zetec]

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

eznfrank

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've worked mostly in motor insurance for the last 12 years. You're correct, strictly speaking to the letter of the policy it would not be covered, however, I think in the event of a claim only a really tight arse claims tech would pull you up on that. That being said, for most occupations Level 1 business use is usually free unless you're a mechanic, pizza delivery etc etc

[Edited on 30/11/09 by eznfrank]

ash_hammond

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
I work for a company whose parent firm has about a dozen offices scattered over the UK, plus a few abroad. My main office that I work from is about 15 miles away, although sometimes I'm required to attend meetings in different locations.

When it came to renewing my insurance, I explained the situation to insurer and they said that I would be covered by a "social, domestic, please & commuting policy". As long as the vehicle isn't used for specific work purposes such as a plumber or sparky transporting goods or tools associated with the trade, or you claim mileage expenses on a regular basis, then commuting would suffice.

I think it's down to personal interpretation and if you use the vehicle for sole a designated job. The most I ever have to take with me is the laptop, which is insured by the company directly should I ever lose it.

Still, I always ask to ensure there can be no misunderstanding!

[Edited on 30/11/09 by Charlie_Zetec]

I agree with Charlie in his post as it says "social, domestic, please & commuting policy" ours states permanent location, if its just loosly termed commuting i would agrre she would be covered. Its the permanent location that bothers me.

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

Gazeddy

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
i seem to remember its the first place in the day. ie home-work not home-work-training place
mccsp

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Switched to business insurance on my car recently. No extra cost. But More Than said I didn't need to if only one place of work on any given day.

Why do it the easy way, when I can do things my way!

l0rd

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Nice topic.

As far as i am aware, you can commute to different sites as it is the same company after all. Never heard that you need to have bussiness insurance if you claim mileage.

Oups

David Jenkins

posted on 1/12/09 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
You could always ring the insurance company/broker...
...after all, we pay them enough, so they could answer one question surely! (and I hope you don't mind me calling you Shirley?).

mad4x4

posted on 1/12/09 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Opt for Class 1 business - this allows you to travel to and from different sites. usually cost about £0 to £10 more a year. Try and get you emplyer to pay it...

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.