Board logo

electrolysis help - killing power supplies
luke - 30/11/09 at 10:07 PM

hey all,

i bought a battery charger last week and set up electrolysis, its worked great but after about 4 hours i checked it to find the power supply dead, changed both fuses and no different.

now that was a 4 amp charger, and i remember reading in the electrolysis thread that it took about 5 amps so i thought maybe ive overloaded it.

so after ordering a 8amp off CPC which arrived today, i set it back up, and same again, after about 4 hours dead charger.

changed the fuse in it again and no difference, so what am i doing wrong? its working really well and i have one clean upright but at the cost of a charger (got a refund on first) i dont think its cost viable!

Angel Acevedo - 30/11/09 at 10:28 PM

Most likely you´re shorting the PS by letting the anode come in contact with the workpiece.
another way to keep current low is keep electrolyte concentration low.
Last, rig a resistor to limit current.
If you have multimeter you may wish to check current upon start up.
HTH

luke - 30/11/09 at 10:31 PM

so you think ive put too much soda in?

if it had shorted i would of thought it would of just popped the little fuse inside it.

Angel Acevedo - 30/11/09 at 10:56 PM

I have been using muriatic acid long before i found this forum. I learned about soda here, so no experience with it.
I would stick to soda as Hydrogen Induced Embrittlement is lower.
I have also read that a couple of hour cooking drives the hydrogen off the part again.

luke - 30/11/09 at 10:59 PM

sorry, should of said would too much soda be causing the power supplies to over heat and die?

skodaman - 30/11/09 at 11:09 PM

I reckon the clips on your charger are just dirty. This happens after an hour or two of electolysis on mine, the current gradually drops till it's not doing anything. Wire brush them. Though it's possible you've shorted the charger if it doesn't have an auto cut-out on it.

luke - 30/11/09 at 11:11 PM

the charger isnt powering up at all, the power light isnt coming on.

skodaman - 30/11/09 at 11:31 PM

Looks like you've blown it then. If the anode and cathode or whatever touch in the bath mine automatically cuts out. Then i make sure the bits aren't touching and reset it. Spose if u haven't got a reset button it might not have a cutout so yes probably blown a fuse or something inside the charger.

Confused but excited. - 30/11/09 at 11:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
I have been using muriatic acid long before i found this forum. I learned about soda here, so no experience with it.
I would stick to soda as Hydrogen Induced Embrittlement is lower.
I have also read that a couple of hour cooking drives the hydrogen off the part again.

Muriatic acid?
Are you as old as me or are you studying Alchemy?

skodaman - 1/12/09 at 02:29 AM

" Muriatic acid?
Are you as old as me or are you studying Alchemy?"
And can you turn Dagenham ferrous oxide into gold yet?

Angel Acevedo - 1/12/09 at 11:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skodaman
" Muriatic acid?
Are you as old as me or are you studying Alchemy?"
And can you turn Dagenham ferrous oxide into gold yet?

Confused but Excited, Skodaman....
With Mexican salaries and mexican prices for car related stuff where do you think the funds for the locost are coming???

PS: I also sell snake oil!!! (see avatar)

[Edited on 12/1/2009 by Angel Acevedo]