Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Does Google checkout or Paypal put you off purchasing from online shops?
MK9R

posted on 1/12/09 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Does Google checkout or Paypal put you off purchasing from online shops?

I'm looking at setting up an online shop, and have most things in place, but one thing stopping me taking the plunge is the online payment processing. I've looked at setting up a merchant account and PSP's, which are all good, but they all want set up fees and 12month contracts. I'm taking a bit of a gamble with the shop so trying to keep costs down to minimum and not be tied into long contracts incase it all falls flat on its arse. Now my question is, if when you get to apayment page it ONLY gives you the option of paying via paypal and google checkout, does it put you off purchasing from the shop?? Personally i feel that when i come across this, the shop doesn't appear to be that professional and it puts me off. But alternatively if the option is there to pay via credit card directly or Paypal/Google, i always chose the paypal/google option as it feels safer and means i don't have to bother getting my card out of my wallet.

What do people think??

I'd have done this as Poll if i knew how!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 1/12/09 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, I'm happy with both as even if the supplier is a small one at least I know my money transfer is "safe"

Craig

Ben_Copeland

posted on 1/12/09 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer using paypal as there's a possibilty of getting money back if necessary. Plus I buy stuff from a certain computer parts place. If I want to pay via card they want me to fax i.d etc. If I use paypal via their website, then there's no problem. Suits me

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

britishtrident

posted on 1/12/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I much prefer paying by Paypal or Google checkout than giving my card number to an unknown seller.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

55ant

posted on 1/12/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
nope, in fact if i have the choice i will use paypal intstead if cards everytime.

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

Jasper

posted on 1/12/09 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
It depends who you're selling to. If you market if younger internet savy people, then Paypal will be fine, if your customers are older/more traditional (like mine) then you'd be better with traditional credit card options.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 1/12/09 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
The only thing is that some people who don't have paypal or google accounts might not purchase thinking they'd have to sign up etc. Even if they don't need to have an account.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

tegwin

posted on 1/12/09 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
If its a short term "gamble", then google checkout makes little sence.

I looked into it last year and decided that the setup cost was too high, plus you need an SSL certificate on your shops sever, which costs £$£$£!!

In the end I went with Paypal and had very few problems.

Did you realise that if a user has never logged into paypal, they are forwarded to a page to enter their credit card details for a once only transaction?

If they have already used paypal before on that computer, they are asked if they want to log in, or elect to use the "once only" credit card method.

Yes paypal fees are a pain in the arse, but its very much pay as you go....

Swings and roundabouts im afraid!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/12/09 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
the only thing that stops me is a supplier insisting that items must be delivered to the card holders address rather than work. Simply stupid idea and I just won't used them.

Another is not showing current stock levels. Been bitten in the past with that, I will look for that in a supplier

never had any problems in the past with ordering over the web in terms fraud

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 1/12/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
I much prefer paying by Paypal or Google checkout than giving my card number to an unknown seller.

My thoughts exactly

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/12/09 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

My thoughts exactly

ditto

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

MK9R

posted on 1/12/09 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
It depends who you're selling to. If you market if younger internet savy people, then Paypal will be fine, if your customers are older/more traditional (like mine) then you'd be better with traditional credit card options.

Maybe i'm an old codger now and didn't realise it! LOL!!!

Thanks all, I think i'll give paypal and google a go (google doesn't have set up fees, My dad uses it for his business) for the initial trial. Probably add full card transactions if it takes off. And believe it or not, due to the industry Paypal and google have lower charges!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

m8kwr

posted on 1/12/09 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you need any help setting up google or paypal let me know, i implemented both on the same site.... giving the user the option which one to use!!!

We also looked into other means, but found them to pricey, and when you take into affect some have a percentage of refunds!!!! then it was a no no...

If you didn't know already, look into google base, and link your site into google shopping, we get a lot of hits via that.

Madinventions

posted on 1/12/09 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Two main gripes:

1 - eBay sellers who use their 'own' checkout systems. They're almost always slow and cumbersome - just use PayPal.

2 - Delivery to cardholders address only. Ridiculous really, and usually means that I have to go to the courier depot to collect something that I've paid to have delivered.

Both of these can be deal breakers for me...

Ed.

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

scootz

posted on 1/12/09 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
quote:

My thoughts exactly

ditto

And another!

It's Evolution Baby!

Phil.J

posted on 1/12/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
quote:

My thoughts exactly

ditto

And another!

And yet another!

Jasper

posted on 1/12/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper

Maybe i'm an old codger now and didn't realise it! LOL!!!

Thanks all, I think i'll give paypal and google a go (google doesn't have set up fees, My dad uses it for his business) for the initial trial. Probably add full card transactions if it takes off. And believe it or not, due to the industry Paypal and google have lower charges!!!!!!!!!!

If you do go with traditional credit card transactions remember to join the FSB, they give unbeatable deals on CC transactions.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

thefreak

posted on 1/12/09 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
I guess it comes down to how much money you're hoping to handle. I've got an online shop for custom car parts and it doesn't do a massive turnover, the £50 monthly fees for online credit card transactions would wipe out my profit easily, so I've stuck with paypal - and if needed bank transfer. Most of the customers know me/of me anyway so it helps with the reassurances.
iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 1/12/09 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
as above really, i would prefer to use paypal over putting in my card details as i feel it is safer - whether thats true i dont know!

Peteff

posted on 1/12/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'm old and I use paypal all the time I've never used google checkout but if it works like paypal it would not be a problem.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

pumpers

posted on 1/12/09 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've used paypal for years with no problems.
However last month someone cloned my wifes card then used it pay via paypal. They carried out loads of other non paypal transactions as well which my bank have happily refunded.
I'm still waiting for the paypal refund as it's not a fraud on my account, its a fraud on an account set up in my wifes name which I dont have the details of. All I have is the transaction id !

I'll still use my paypal account though, especially as we've no idea how anyone got my wifes card details !

pumpers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.