Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Sender
jeffw

posted on 1/12/09 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Sender

I'm changing over from a Smiths Fuel Gauge to use the one on my new Koso RX2n+. The tank is around 1/2 full and I get a reading on the fuel sender of 83 Ohms on a multimeter. The Koso has the choice of 510 Ohms or 100 Ohms settings.

I assume that my current sender it the 20 Ohm Full to 260 Ohm empty version. Are there senders around that will work with the Koso settings ?

twybrow

posted on 1/12/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I used a Honda blackbird sender. Bent it a bit to get it just right, but now it is great...!
jeffw

posted on 1/12/09 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like an idea. Is the tank mount the same as a normal car one ?

[Edited on 1/12/09 by jeffw]

twybrow

posted on 1/12/09 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CBR1100-BLACKBIRD-FUEL-SENDER_W0QQitemZ200405954744QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item2ea92030b

Mine is mounted on the top of the fuel tank, with a small hole, just large enough to get the float through. I made a cork gasket, and blue gooed the bolts/washers. I removed the low-level warning sensor, and reshaped the arm to give the full range.

Edited 'cos I cant get the link to work!

[Edited on 1/12/09 by twybrow]

bj928

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
i believe the sender i've used is from a boat fuel tank if thats any good as somewhere else to look.
Nash

posted on 1/12/09 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Takes all the fun out of it if its reading accurately Jeff

..............Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

jeffw

posted on 2/12/09 at 06:07 AM Reply With Quote
True

Does anyone know of a sender that reads 100 Ohm or 510 Ohm when full which has a standard 6 hole plate on it ?

Rosco

posted on 2/12/09 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I'm pondering the same issue, and sent you a U2U with some specific questions.

Since KOSO instruments are essentially bike instruments, I asked in a bike reapir shop. Apparently a Honda VFR750 has a 0-100hms sender. I've no idea on fittings and haven't tried one - but there are a number on ebay for modest cost.

L5W

posted on 8/12/09 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I've also just purchased a Koso RX2n+ so that I can test that it works with the fuel sender before I start cutting holes in my tank. I bought a 1988 Honda CBR1000 sender which gives 5 ohms for empty and 100 for full on the multimeter.

I've just connected the speedo to the sender and found that when the sender is on full, the speedo's fuel gauge reads empty and vice versa. Unless there is a setting somewhere to invert the koso reading (or that I've done something wrong!), I can only assume the koso speedo requires 100 ohms for empty and 0 ohms for full. I've not seen anything in the koso manual which states whether this is one way or the other

After reading tmybrow's posts, I'm going to try to get hold of a blackbird sender since this has already been proven to work.

Lee

http://l5w-mk-indy-zetec.blogspot.com/

jeffw

posted on 8/12/09 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I think you'll find the problem is that Bike senders are fitted to the bottom of the tank not from the top, hence why your readings are upside down.

L5W

posted on 8/12/09 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
I think you'll find the problem is that Bike senders are fitted to the bottom of the tank not from the top, hence why your readings are upside down.

doh! thanks for pointing that out

http://l5w-mk-indy-zetec.blogspot.com/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.