Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hi Fi Speakers - Want a pair of bookcase spk around the £100 mark.
dhutch

posted on 8/12/09 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Fi Speakers - Want a pair of bookcase spk around the £100 mark.

Its christmas and i have present allowence to fill.

Further more i have wanted to get some nice speakers to replace my aging 2.1 pc speakers for ages. Pc will remain sole audio source.

Ive looked at a number of options including building my own cabinates but currently am siding with a pair of Wharfdale 9.1 in black.
- They seem to get good reviews for the money and pack an ok sound, while still being within price range and more portable than there floorstanding counter parts. (while i graduate in summer im still expecting to move around a fair bit for a few years between jobs and houses while setting up)

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/2197

Then for an amp im planning to buy a second hand Cambridge Audio A5 off ebay for around half the price of the same unit new.

Dont know if anyone has any thought on that?

Im new to the hifi game really although my dad was quite into at a time and we have some nice kit at home collected over the years.

Daniel

ashg

posted on 8/12/09 at 01:25 AM Reply With Quote
get a set of kef cresta 2's second hand off ebay they will kick the ass out of anything that you can buy for £100

i have a pair on a camb audio A5 in the spare room that sound mind blowingly good. in fact they sound better than my floorsanding missions in the front room.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

RK

posted on 8/12/09 at 02:18 AM Reply With Quote
You cannot beat the sound of powered monitors when hooked up to the computer. They are more dough than the hi fi, but more robust and I think, better all round. Nearfield will really only be good for just that, so consider that.

Maybe for second hand you can find decent powered monitors, but not generally.

McLannahan

posted on 8/12/09 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
get a set of kef cresta 2's second hand off ebay they will kick the ass out of anything that you can buy for £100

i have a pair on a camb audio A5 in the spare room that sound mind blowingly good. in fact they sound better than my floorsanding missions in the front room.

I can second that - Ash bought my Krestas!

They're superb speakers (regret... ) and outclass so many on sale for much more money.

Although Mission used to do really good speakers, IMO the range as of about five years ago to date are not a patch on what they used to be.

My Missions I sold at the same time as the Krestas to Ash and they don't even come close in comparison...

All the best

greenwood03

posted on 8/12/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
second vote for active speakers. no extra money/hassle needed for amp. Far more versatile - take them outside and hook them up to an mp3 player etc etc. i do listen to a fairly decent set up in a cple of rooms: denon amps - dynaudio spkrs. but elswhere in the house daughter uses behringer truth actives for her mp3 and i use a pair of active JBL's in my boys room. unless i'm really sitting quietly and being a bit of an audiophile - then the actives are great. ok £100 is a bit light, but prob get a fairly good pair second hand for £150+.
blakep82

posted on 8/12/09 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'd like to vote cerwin vega, but mine still haven't turned up. not CV's fault though...

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/cerwin_vega/VE5M
these look pretty good i think. i'm getting the ve12's. eventually...

as said, active speakers (with built in amp) are good, but a lot more expensive and you'll struggle to find any at your price. i wouldn't buy speakers second hand though.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

whitestu

posted on 8/12/09 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
TDL Nucleus

These are good - I have a pair and paid full price a couple of years ago, but Richer Sounds now seem to have them for £20 now!

Bugger

Daimo_45

posted on 8/12/09 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Genelec are the renown as the best studio monitors in the world and would happily try these without even listening to them first! link
blakep82

posted on 8/12/09 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
^ yeah, genelec are awesome

got a funny feeling they're priced 'each' though

[Edited on 8/12/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

dhutch

posted on 9/12/09 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, so interesting pointers there.

Certainly ive added the Kresta's to the list of possables.

Power speakers are an option but not really what i had in mind.

The TDL Nucleus are reduced to clear, select local pickup only, and seem to be sold out, so done worry about that stu!

Ive just watched a Cambridge Audio A300 go for £26 (+£12p&p) so the cost of the amp isnt overly significant.

In the future i may will also add a sub woofer, so although its important for them to be able to stand up for themselfs, over time if they need some backup thats ok.

Daniel

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.