Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: battery impact gun
bigsteve

posted on 13/12/09 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
battery impact gun

does anyone recommend a good affordable batt imanct gun? seen the dewalt and snap on ones but they are bit pricey. also seen the sealey and clarke ones which look ok
theconrodkid

posted on 13/12/09 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
i had a look at the flea bay ones and the sealey one,the only difference i could see was the price,prob made in the same mud hut in china anyway

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

rost

posted on 13/12/09 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
I've used the Hitachi battery wrenches a lot at work, and they're pretty awesome. Powerfull and can handle a lot of abuse.
To really tighten stuff up we used bosch wired impact wrenches though, and they're about as strong as an air one imho.

Don't forget that they need their brushes replaced every once in a while.

Charlie don't surf!

thunderace

posted on 13/12/09 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
hi i have a ryobi one i got in the summer but i dont use it as i have a 240 one 12v one and air one.bit of a over kill tbh lol
there not very good tbh
all for sale on ebay

i rate it ryobi 18v 4/10 £50
Item number: 270500604004
12v clarke 6/10 £30
Item number: 190353628170
240v clarke 9/10 £80
Item number: 150386119020
air clarke 9/10 £70
Item number: 200350166402

i love the 12v one it can be used anywhere ,i even got one for my dad to keep in his car so if ge needs to change a weel hes ok.

Wheels244

posted on 13/12/09 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 24v Clarke one - 2 batteries, 1 hour charge and powerful enough to undo the wheel nuts on my Landrover for fitting the mud wheel\tyres.

I'm happy with it - £99 if i remember right.

hillbillyracer

posted on 13/12/09 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the Sealy 19.2v one & use it daily at work, about 6months old now & no worse for it. Very handy but no match for the pneumatic one or my mate's Snap-On battery one but it was less than 1/3 the price of his!
MikeRJ

posted on 13/12/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Clarke 24v one would wouldn't recommend it at all. With a very freshly charged battery it will manage to do wheel nuts most of the time, but give it something like a crank pulley bolt and it won't touch it.

[Edited on 13/12/09 by MikeRJ]

Wheels244

posted on 13/12/09 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
I've got a Clarke 24v one would wouldn't recommend it at all. With a very freshly charged battery it will manage to do wheel nuts most of the time, but give it something like a crank pulley bolt and it won't touch it.

I think you have to apply a balance for battery powered gear - it is after all only powered by a battery.
For a crank pulley bolt I would expect to be using a long bar - my pneumatic impact wrench won't tackle them, unless they're not very tight of course.

MikeRJ

posted on 13/12/09 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Snap on air impact wrench that has never failed on crank pulleys (wish I had it when I had my Astra GTE!). Battery ones are likely to play second fiddle to air powered tools for some time yet, but a friend of mine has a couple of the larger Dewalt rechargeable impact guns and they are a world apart from my Clarke one, both in performance and unfortunately price.

The thing is you buy a tool to do a job, and if a cheap one can't do it then you haven't really saved any money; in retrospect I wish I had bought a better one. It works on wheelnuts (as long as they haven't been overtightened and with a fresh charge), and if that is all you ever want to use it for I guess it's ok.

Ketchup

posted on 13/12/09 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
without doubt you get what you pay for, i have a snapon 18v one now, my 14.4v lasted 7 years of daily abuse as a mechanic, the new one is the dogs, much better than my air ones, i use the workshop compressor for tyres and bugger all else now
andrew-theasby

posted on 13/12/09 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
ive just got one of these after a lot of research, its at a good price at the mo, and youll always be able to get replacement batteries, and they fit the drills etc too so no excuses for it being flat. dewalt wrench
ChrisW

posted on 14/12/09 at 01:21 AM Reply With Quote
Please let us know how you get on with it. I've been hinting to the Mrs about one for Christmas (beats getting socks!). That De Walt looks interesting as I've already got a drill with two batteries and a charger so one less thing to worry about keeping charged!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigsteve

posted on 15/12/09 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies. i'm kind of swaying towards this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140339337775&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

few reasons:

pretty decent make
good torque (for a battery jobbie )
2 batteries
not bad price

deltron63

posted on 12/1/10 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
my dewalt is great. crank bolts no problems

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.