Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mk3 Golf GTI engine into Mk2
James

posted on 16/12/09 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Mk3 Golf GTI engine into Mk2

My Mk2 Golf GL has been off the road for a while and needs quite lot spent on the engine to get it running well again.
But it was my first car and it's done me brilliant service and only broken down once in 10/11 years ownership!
I've driven a few small cars since and they've made me realise how good the Golf was!

A mate has offered me for free a 2.0 8v GTI engine from a Mk3 but it has no gearbox so considering fitting that as a bit of a street sleeper.

Anyone any experience of doing this? It is complete AFAIK but no ECU or anything. I'm not sure what the engine type is.

My GL has the 4+E gearbox which I guess would need replacing. Is a Mk3 gearbox a straight swop? I have rod linkage currently so would want the same.

Any ideas on cheap ways of doing the ECU? How complex is the VW loom and ECU if I used that? Will I need to fit Mk3 clocks or can I run the current ones?
Or do I need to consider megasquirt etc.?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,
James

EDIT: Of course, just remembered I'll need an injection tank and pump as well.

[Edited on 16/12/09 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 16/12/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I will get my golf mad buddy to talk you through this process

meany

posted on 16/12/09 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
my old classmate may be able to help you on this one.
http://www.awesome-gti.com/

tomprescott

posted on 16/12/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Just done a bit of a restoration to a mk2, you have two things in your favour: HUGE amount of space in/under the bonnet and also lots of cheap interchangeable parts available.

Mk2's are often chopped about because of their low cost and as a result have had all sorts of engine swaps, other engines from mk3, 4 and even 5 go in with next to no hassle but I would definitely recommend picking up a matching gearbox as the 4+e's aren't designed for that much power plus because of the layout it's not as simple as bolting a type 9 onto a pinto. A firend of mine has a mk2 with a vr6 in their, things to change were gearbox, driveshafts and radiator. The only things that needed to be fabricated were some new mounts!

bmseven

posted on 16/12/09 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Probably spend as much converting it as would spend on a buying a GTI
IIRC Mk3 GTI are cable clutch
So Gearbox, driveshafts, loom, ecu, fuse box etc etc

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

MikeRJ

posted on 16/12/09 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
The old 2.0 8v is a wheezy old lump, though quite torquey and works well in my wifes Octavia Estate workhorse, but surely one of the least desirable engines to be fitted to anything with a GTi badge?

If you are going to do a conversion I reckon it would be worth setting your sights a bit higher TBH.

James

posted on 17/12/09 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Heya,

Thank you all for the advice.

I have a feeling I've read before what Mike's said about the 2.0 8v engine before when I was looking at getting a Corrado- ie. it's not a very good engine!

Other than the busted starter motor a lot of the problems with the car revolve around the (reknowned for it's crappyness) Pierburg 2E2 carb.

I spoke to a guy last night who runs this place:
http://www.enginuity.co.uk

He's done a lot of work on Mk2's, Sciroccos etc. etc.
He reckoned the easy option is to buy the Webcon 2e2 replacement for the Pierburg. I've heard of this before in PPC mag but it kind of felt 'wrong' fitting a manual choked replacement. However, he reckoned with the webber, fuel economy goes up, power goes up and drivability improves.

IIRC it's about £150 which is bound to be cheaper than the GTI replacement.

I'm pretty convinced this is the way to go now to get it on the road cheaply and simply. Once I've got a job again (hopefully in the new year as I'm broke!) I'll consider a more fun engine!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

tomprescott

posted on 17/12/09 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to get a weber 32 dmtl for mine with a full fitting kit for £50 quid brand new from ebay.

The problem on the pierburgs are the spring inside the autochoke system, they rely on the engine cooling system and as such after a few years of heating and cooling they deform or snap; you can replace the auto choke if you want but a manual choke is better in my opinion!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 17/12/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
What year is the engine and what year is the car, If its a later engine you need the ecu and transponders ect

u2u me your phone number and kriss will advise you.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.