Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Honda fireblade - Question on fuel/spark
phil_far

posted on 17/12/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Honda fireblade - Question on fuel/spark

Hi,
My car is now nearly complet (will post pics soon) but no plates so my driving is limited to 1st and reverse in the garage. I have put in new plugs and removed them for inspection. The result is lsited below:

No 1: Blackish -
No 2: Brown
No 3: Blackish -
No 4: Brown - as good as new

What could cause this? All of the carbs were dynojetted using the same procedure. My exhaust is a 4-2-1 combining 1 & 4 and 3 & 2

The engine runs smoothly and revs up without missing a beat although I have not tried it on the road in a proper manner. Howeve occasionally it backfires upon revving.

Any help?

Any help?

Philip

MikeCapon

posted on 17/12/09 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Can't give you a lot of advice other than to say you need to use the motor under load and for some distance before you can really read the plugs. It's normal that plugs will be grubby when lots of cold starts have been done withour running hot and under load to clean them up.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 17/12/09 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO means nothing, my fireblade will ruin plugs if occassionally started and mooched around, you need to get out on the road.

To read plugs you belt down the road at whatever speed or load you are validating then clutchg in turn off and coast to a halt, pull the plugs and read. Even just slowing down will change the colour.

If it starts without fouling the plugs when fiddling you are already ahead!

Regards Mark

phil_far

posted on 18/12/09 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys...will follow your advice as soon as I get the plates.....but the process here in Malta is both lengthy and expensive...

Will post some pictures of the car soon

Philip

dazzx10r

posted on 19/12/09 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
It sounds like it could be a little too rich on cylinders 1 and 3, adjust the air screw by 1/4 of a turn and try that, usualy cylinders 2 & 3 are a little richer than the outer 2, due to the fact that they are hotter. The best bet is to get it on a dyno with someone who understands bike carbs.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.