Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What is the answer to low Salt supplies?
stevebubs

posted on 18/12/09 at 05:02 AM Reply With Quote
What is the answer to low Salt supplies?

Looks like around here it's apparently "don't grit the darned roads"

Just got home after 200mile drive. First 195 miles without incident.

Came off the motorway and slowed right the way down on the sliproad. Came round the bend (<10mph at this point) and went straight sailing straight across the bloody roundabout as it was sheet ice.

Straight into the railings...

Grrrr..... bloody major road, too.....

gottabedone

posted on 18/12/09 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
No grit here either - but then last year they ran out before the bad weather hit
With last year, we had loads of problems around here as you couldn't get onto the main roads because they weren't gritting anywhere else because of the lack of grit!

Steve

theconrodkid

posted on 18/12/09 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
the grit comes from mine in cheshire?,what do they do for the other 50 weeks of the year,sit and drink tea?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

deezee

posted on 18/12/09 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Does all of Europe grit its roads? Years ago I always used to drive on un-gritted, dodgy roads, you just went slower.

GMPMotorsport

posted on 18/12/09 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
according to the local councils they have plenty of grit and there won't be a problem, yet just listned to the news and people in Suffolk had to spend the night in their cars, no wonder the council has plenty of grit....they don't use it!

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dogwood

posted on 18/12/09 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
Does all of Europe grit its roads? Years ago I always used to drive on un-gritted, dodgy roads, you just went slower.

Nope, no gritted roads here...
You just learn to drive on it.

David

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

andyharding

posted on 18/12/09 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
the grit comes from mine in cheshire?,what do they do for the other 50 weeks of the year,sit and drink tea?

I've been down said mine and the answer is store documents securely in the dug out mine shafts.

Linky

[Edited on 18/12/09 by andyharding]

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

JAG

posted on 18/12/09 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
I believe that the really cold countries like Sweden, Norway etc... use something other than salt/grit.

Some form of Urea - I think!

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Findlay234

posted on 18/12/09 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Well if they decide this year not to grit as much as they used to then i think were going to see a lot more accidents... not because people dont know how to drive on ice but they just wont think about it. the roads are always gritted therefore fine to drive.... er not this time.

Already seen on accident this morn... slow roundabout incident like above.

One of my work mates was driving and said er whats going on with my engine..... theres a light flashing on the dash...... its loosing power..... Hes an engineer and I had to explain what traction control was and how it was kicking in due to the ice...

smart51

posted on 18/12/09 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid

No, they make table salt. They have these really annoying customers who only buy rock salt twice a year, who all buy it at the same time and give 3 hours notice for immediate delivery. They won't do anything sensible like recognising that they will need it at some point and buy some in at the start of the season, they wait until it is too late then scream because 10 other councils are ahead of the list on deliveries on the day they do order some.

Steve Hignett

posted on 18/12/09 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
There not bloody having my Urethra!!!

To be honest I don't know what you are going on about, there seems to be loads of grit round this way.....

quote:
Originally posted by JAG
I believe that the really cold countries like Sweden, Norway etc... use something other than salt/grit.

mcerd1

posted on 18/12/09 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
they've been gritting here for about 2 weeks, and only a few single carageway back roads haven't be done yet

I saw 2 of them out gritting this moring outside my house, and they've been coming and going all the time at work (I work next to thte counsil bit where they fill up)

quote:
Originally posted by deezee

In iceland (the country not the shop ) they were using some kind of black grit stuff on most of the roads, I'd guess its volcanic ash or something - its a bit like driving on gravel
and they seem to scrape of the worst of it most days, but there are still icy bits
it was actually quite grippy on the ice+grit, at least compaired to just ice

alot of people had studded winter tyres, but not the hire car we had

they do seem to drive a bit slower on the ice, but not that slow

the scary bit was being overtaken at night by a fuel lorry on a clear(ish) 90kph road - we were doing about 115 at the time

[Edited on 18/12/09 by mcerd1]

-

woodster

posted on 18/12/09 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG

now thats taking the p*ss

scootz

posted on 18/12/09 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG

They do - they call it common sense! They drive to the conditions!

Also, by law they must change over to winter tyres at a certain point in the year!

It's Evolution Baby!

MakeEverything

posted on 18/12/09 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I drove little man to nursery today, and on the way back had a complete cock tailgating me and waving his hands as if to say Hurry Up.....

Needless to say that a few hand gestures returned solved the issue, though i was expecting to have to get out and let him have it, but he sped off in the opposite direction.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

miikae

posted on 18/12/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Urea was used alot around here in WW2 to keep the runways clear for the bombers, together with the use of FIDO on foggy days.

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 18/12/09 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by JAG

They do - they call it common sense! They drive to the conditions!

Also, by law they must change over to winter tyres at a certain point in the year!

yep - winter tryes, sometimes with studs.

.,... but even that didn't stop me from spinning a hired MErc around! ... and I was going really slowly too!!!

throw in the run up to Christmas when you have either stressed out shopper or peeps just had a few drinkies and it is disaster waiting to happen.

I'm hoping to slop off home around 2ish to avoid the traffic and the dark.

Danozeman

posted on 18/12/09 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

according to the local councils they have plenty of grit and there won't be a problem, yet just listned to the news and people in Suffolk had to spend the night in their cars, no wonder the council has plenty of grit....they don't use it!

I live in suffolk and the first time ive seen a gritter this year was this morning when i sat beside one in a que of traffic because someone had crashed on the icey a14 because it hadnt been out before!!

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

mds167

posted on 18/12/09 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs

Came off the motorway and slowed right the way down on the sliproad. Came round the bend (<10mph at this point) and went straight sailing straight across the bloody roundabout as it was sheet ice.

Can I ask which bit in Reading?
Roads off J10 were good this morning, even residential bus route but would be good to know for when my wife returns after a long lfight later... Thanx

trogdor

posted on 18/12/09 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Well last week I went to Lapland for a christmas holiday, it was great but I was interested to see how people drove.

And it was like everyone says they drive to the conditions, there was no grit on the roads, they had hard packed snow on them most of the time. The only cars I saw sliding and that was just a little slide were RWD mercedes.

The standard of driving in Finland is so much better than in the UK. That said it was much quieter! With more snowmobiles, though these had their own tracks. (Like bike lanes)

The place that was gritted was outside of the hotel entrances to stop people falling over as it was like sheet ice. But they didn't use salt they used some kind of grit.

They think we are mad over here btw, a cm of snow falls and it all goes to the dogs.

I don't think many countries have salt mines, I have been in the one in Winsford, Cheshire and it was pretty impressive.

[Edited on 18/12/09 by trogdor]

[Edited on 18/12/09 by trogdor]

posted on 18/12/09 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Low salt supplies?

No problem here. We've got nearly a full tub.

Rescued attachment low salt.jpg
Rescued attachment low salt.jpg

twybrow

posted on 18/12/09 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
The answer is with the drivers learning to drive to the conditions - how silly that we cope so badly with frozen conditions. I think we too should have to use winter tyres - they work better in all cold/wet conditions as the rubber is formulated to work at lower temps, not just frozen.
MikeRJ

posted on 18/12/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
The answer is with the drivers learning to drive to the conditions - how silly that we cope so badly with frozen conditions.

The standard of driving in the UK is certainly very poor, but the main reason people cope so badly is simply that frozen roads is a fairly rare event in this country; it happens on a handfull of days in the year in most regions. If you live somewhere were the roads of frozen most of the time it stands to reason you'll be better at driving on them.

stevebubs

posted on 18/12/09 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mds167
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs

Can I ask which bit in Reading?
Roads off J10 were good this morning, even residential bus route but would be good to know for when my wife returns after a long lfight later... Thanx

A329 at Winnersh Triangle - where all the roadworks are.

Appears to be clear now so guess I probably went through before the gritters came out - was about 4am when I came off the A329M. Road was a lovely unmarked white blanket of snow.

Was doing sub 10mph in 3rd gear, and yes - I was driving to the conditions - parts of the M1 and M25 were in godawful condition

Had a good 10-20 seconds or so to see my fate, and nothing was working, not the foot brake (pumping hard), hand brake or last minute floor it...just went sailing merrily across the junction like a big black ice puck....

[Edited on 18/12/09 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 18/12/09 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
grr... Rescued attachment P1010016.JPG
Rescued attachment P1010016.JPG

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.