Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Weights Bench ?
karlak

posted on 30/12/09 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Weights Bench ?

My son has just had some weights given to him as a Christmas present. He would now like a "bench" to use with these.

Does anyone have any recommendations at all? I have seen reviews that some of the cheaper benches can be a bit flimsy...

Cheers

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

eznfrank

posted on 30/12/09 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
What exactly does he want to do with them? Depending on how big he is and how much he wants to lift will determine how flimsy the bench is. Most of the stuff from Argos or wherever isn't actually too bad for beginners and won't cost a fortune.

If he's a young lad <16 you might want to keep an eye on him to prevent injuries.

r1_pete

posted on 30/12/09 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
The locost way would be to use some left over chassis steel and make your own.

They are all pretty much similar, just make sure the bar forks on whatever you buy have the back prong longer than the front, its amazing how much easier that makes putting the bar down.

If you can get an adjustable incline too thats a benefit.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_manx

posted on 30/12/09 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

As with a lot of things in life, you get what pay for, and fitness equipment is no exception. If you look at it as an investment then paying that bit extra is worth it. I bought a cheap weights bench a few years back and it just wobbled about a lot and was just very flimsy and unstable....the last thing you want is your son to hurt himself on a bench that is made of cheese and bought for a 'too good to be true' price. Have a look at these sites for some ideas, brands like york and golds gym are pretty solid and fairly priced. Hope this helps.

http://www.purefitnessandsports.co.uk/strength-training/weight-benches/?gclid=CKyR08Ds_Z4CFSBk4wodgzD7JQ

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/strength-equipment/weight-benches-and-free-weight-systems

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/benches/10035_0c.html

Cheers

If im not in action, im in traction!

karlak

posted on 30/12/09 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys...

He is 16, tall, slim, and as strong as an Ox. He just wants to beef up a bit, I will be hiding away some of the heavier weights to begin with.

I have seen this one --

http://www.sportandleisureuk.com/product.php?productid=176#pricegrabber

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

thunderace

posted on 30/12/09 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
he wont beef up by doing weights he needs to eat like a horse ,or buy mega build stuff .or Scientific Anabolic
it more about the food than training .
best thing to do is go a gym mebership and get a traing program and eating program youtube has loads good and bad of advice.

johnston

posted on 30/12/09 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Get onto ebay and search within xx miles of your postcode.

I got about £400 of wieder multi gym for less than a ton, with no marks on it. Most of the stuff is heavy so collection only and that means less bidders.

eznfrank

posted on 30/12/09 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Not seen that bench before but looks ok to me although I'd personally avoid the fly attachment as it's easy to get into bad habits and not follow form on those I think. As Johnston says though you can usually get a bargain on Ebay for this kind of stuff. If he wants to pack size on his arms I'd also consider a preacher bench attachment.

If he's only 16 I'd try steer him away from the protein shakes and all the other stuff at least until he's grown a bit naturally. I've known a few people throw protein down their neck like it's going out of fashion and not really match it with the training resulting in them looking more like Rick Waller than Arnie!!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 30/12/09 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
If he is interested in getting properly strong then get involved with an olympic weightlifting club as its unlikely his bar is suitable for ballistic lifts, squats or deadlift.

That would give him an incredible head start in any kind of sport he wants to play.

What type of weights are they? For a 1" bar?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.