Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mounting the wiper motor?
David Jenkins

posted on 31/12/09 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Mounting the wiper motor?

I'm looking for a few photos of wiper motor installations, for inspiration...

It's an ex-mini 2-speed Lucas wiper system - I have the rubber mounting block and the rubber-covered strap to hold it down, so all I'm looking for are few photos to show where other people have mounted them...

Ta.

[Edited on 31/12/09 by David Jenkins]

Bluemoon

posted on 31/12/09 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
No photo, but monted on the vertical pannel behind the battery..

Dan

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 31/12/09 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
mount it on the back of your dashboard and make it pluggable to the loom .
The good news is your frame will be sorted by tonight......
So will ask DHL when they are operating again.
Aparently they have a huge backlog of stuff thats not been able to be delivered due to frozen side roads Rear 2 wheel drive and snow dont go well together...

David Jenkins

posted on 31/12/09 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
It'll be going on the passenger side of the firewall - I was just curious to see how others have mounted them.

It will be pluggable - using the wiper motor's genuine 5-way plug!

Excellent news about the frame . I can then start getting all the other bits organised - I've worked out how I'm going to power the wipers and get self-park without using the special Lucas switch (I've nicked an idea from t'internet, and modified it to suit my own needs using a couple of relays). This also means that I can use thin wire from the switch, with only a few inches of heavier stuff next to the wiper motor.

RK

posted on 31/12/09 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I had a lot of trouble getting mine to sit tight, so I mounted it onto a piece of 2x4 wood, against the firewall (actually a piece of polycarbonate so not good for fire). Now everything works as it was supposed to months ago when I started fiddling with it.

Re. park function. In a word: none - had too much trouble finding a decent switch and didn`t want to muck around with more relays.

[Edited on 31/12/09 by RK]

David Jenkins

posted on 31/12/09 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
Re. park function. In a word: none - had too much trouble finding a decent switch and didn`t want to muck around with more relays.

I didn't like the look of the Lucas switch, so worked out a solution with 2 car relays - electrics DON'T scare me, in fact it's probably the bit of car building I'm most comfortable with! Also, I used to work in old-fashioned telephone exchanges, so designing relay circuits holds no fears...

BenB

posted on 31/12/09 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
This is how I did it:

wiper motor on bracket
wiper motor on bracket

David Jenkins

posted on 1/1/10 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
That's very useful Ben, cheers.

Did you shorten the first bit of tubing - the bit between the motor and the first wheelbox? If I trial-fit the system up under my scuttle the motor ends up way to the left and dangling down towards the passenger's legs!

Mind you - that's without the wheelbox stubs going through the holes... it'll probably go up 2" or more when it's properly mounted...

[Edited on 1/1/10 by David Jenkins]

richard

posted on 1/1/10 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
I made a plate that bolts to the windscreen support bolts shown in the picture above and then mounted the rubber band fixing to that with some bolts welded to the plate and then i think i made the first tube to fit.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PaulBuz

posted on 2/1/10 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote

ATB
Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.