Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: S2000
kennyrayandersen

posted on 2/1/10 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
S2000

I really like the S-2000 engine and drive train, and I know it has been dropped in an Indy or two, but what do you have in the end? What is the ground clearance? Is using a dry-sump mandatory? and Is it going to be pretty much a track car due to the ground clearance issues, or with the dry sump etc. is there enough clearance that it will fit while still giving enough clearance to make it a 'practical' road car? It certainly looks like it would be a mighty lethal combination if it can be pulled together. Also, I remember there may have been some modifications to the chassis that were required, no?
ashg

posted on 2/1/10 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
the one indy with s2000 drive train that i have had a proper look at seemed fine and a very useable a road car.

i think the only modification they made to the chassis was to move the pedal box back a bit. the chap that owned it was less than 6foot so it wasnt a problem

im really bad at remembering names but from memory it either belonged to one of the chaps that worked at mk or a relative of someone at mk.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

DRC INDY 7

posted on 2/1/10 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
steve keenan owns it its in brawn gp colours

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

Danozeman

posted on 2/1/10 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
didnt someone on here do one aswell??

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

ashg

posted on 2/1/10 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7
steve keenan owns it its in brawn gp colours

yep thats him. spent over an hour talking to him at stoneleigh but couldnt remember his name to save my life. i remembered that he was related to mk in some way or another, do i get points for that?

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

fesycresy

posted on 2/1/10 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
didnt someone on here do one aswell??

Chris Mason

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

rickys2000

posted on 2/1/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Em excuse me. I think the name gives it away
austin man

posted on 2/1/10 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Chris Mason was the first to fit the S2000 in an Indy and Steve keenan has fitted his to the new Indy R Chasis which rides lower, he had the mods to the footwell done out of preference for himself.

Both cars offer a real turn of pace and have due to their pace changed the thinking of a few BEC followers one being Danny keenan, I believe his hyabussa engined car couldn't catch the S2000 around Cadwell.

Chris Mason took his on York dragstrip one of the fastest on the day

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Hellfire

posted on 2/1/10 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Chris Masons S2000 did the quarter mile in 12.138 seconds at York in 2006. Superb engine and a great car.

Phil

kennyrayandersen

posted on 3/1/10 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback. I checked out Chris' site and actually have it book marked, but it does seem plenty low and he talked mostly about having it on the track. I also read somewhere that Steve had one too, though there weren't many details about it or how it was being used. The attractive thing about this setup to me is that the bike engines, though they rev high and all, don't really make so much torque. The two liter Honda, on the other hand, revs pretty well, but make gobs more torque and it not all that heavy. I'm really not to surprised that it would spank a Busa -- especially the NA kind.

I do know that Chris went with a dry sump to get more clearance. I prefer a little the looks of the standard S-3s like the Caterham ans Birkins, but the MK isn't bad and if you can get the Honda mill in there it bears serious consideration.

I wonder what the minimum clearance is that you could get away with for the street?

[Edited on 3/1/10 by kennyrayandersen]

Hellfire

posted on 4/1/10 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Although bike engines don't make much torque at the crank, they have a torque multiplier in the form of a primary reduction gear. Something which a car engine doesn't have. So when comparing torque differences between BEC and CEC, you're not really comparing apples with apples and need to take the primary reduction into account.

Steve's S2000 MK Indy is currently being modified with a supercharger.

Phil

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.