Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What NOT to do if your car starts sliding on ice!!!
eznfrank

posted on 4/1/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
What NOT to do if your car starts sliding on ice!!!

I can't believe the complete idiocy of what happens in this video.

YouTube Linky

marcjagman

posted on 4/1/10 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
What numpty's,
Humbug

posted on 4/1/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Complete 2@
graememk

posted on 4/1/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
unless you nicked it

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 4/1/10 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
homo's how would u explain tht to your insurance when your car run u over

luke

posted on 4/1/10 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
There is a few estates around here that have those bricked junctions. They look nice but in ice they are lethal!

some idiot designer in a housing company thinking they were a good idea!

speedyxjs

posted on 4/1/10 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Why was she braking???!!!

I think all new drivers should be taught how to control their cars on slippery surface like they do in Finland

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

spdpug98

posted on 4/1/10 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
What a total idiot, but the people filming them could have been out side warning people and putting salt down – we put warning triangles up at the top of our small drive to stop people coming down it

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

imp paul

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
wow
big_wasa

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote

russbost

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
OK they are total numpties, but that does look seriously slippery - quite why they thought they (& anyone the car could hit) were safer out of the car rather than still behind the wheel & (potentially) having some sort of control is beyond me!

Fairly obvious why the videographer wasn't out there warning people - it would have spoiled his video - wonder how he'd have felt had the result been someone being flattened by an out of control car - with or without driver

Insurance form should make interesting reading!!! Please describe (as the driver) what happened in the accident "I can't I wasn't at the scene of the accident!"

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
dhutch

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Blood and sand! Not clever.

This is what salt boxes should used for imo, little salt goes a long way if your only aiming for enough grip to get to your drive rather than drive at any speed.

But yeah, depending on what was further down the the road (run off area, steep grad etc) you could prberbly do worse than control round the not-actaully-a-honda and into that hedge!

[Edited on 4/1/2010 by dhutch]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
They could almost be members of East 17

EDIT
In case anyone doesn't get the reference, Brian Harvey famously ran himself over

[Edited on 4/1/10 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

will121

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
we sound a bit like we all think we know what we would have done better to control it, watching that a few times now being down hill and way she slides on her arse it was mighty difficult! i believe they were getting out because they thought they could have grabbed onto the car and stopped it, its a hard thing to just sit tight relax when hitting something seems inevitable.
jumping out clearly wrong but what driver inputs would you do to control it?

JoelP

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by will121
we sound a bit like we all think we know what we would have done better to control it, watching that a few times now being down hill and way she slides on her arse it was mighty difficult! i believe they were getting out because they thought they could have grabbed onto the car and stopped it, its a hard thing to just sit tight relax when hitting something seems inevitable.
jumping out clearly wrong but what driver inputs would you do to control it?

err... come off the brakes, try to steer, if you cant stop through careful braking then at least attempt to hit the least expensive thing in sight? Jumping out is criminal, the bloody thing would've spun all the way down that hill. They were DAMNED lucky that it didnt kill them.

It scares me that the driver is that clueless.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

clairetoo

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
According to a comment on this version of the video .......

quote:

The car slid round to corner and across the Quay into the canal. A police officer said had they not jumped out they would be dead.

...................(spelling corrected )

[Edited on 4/1/10 by clairetoo]

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

JoelP

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
watching it again, they approached too fast in the first place, but once it started skidding, within a couple of seconds they should've realised they couldnt get down the hill, and my first choice would be the hedge behind the parking spaces at the right - depending on the gradient. Im confident it would've stopped on that hedge though.

russbost

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
In 36 years of driving (Jeez am I actually that old!!!) I have only ever come across ice that bad & with such complete cover - I finished up after much brake dabbing & tiny steering corrections sliding downhill into a kerb with the wheel turned sideways against it - cost me a wheel (steel Cortina MK3!) but was an awful lot better than sliding out onto the main duel carriageway I was approaching!

Have to say I never contemplated getting out of the car!

& yes, I would agree that I think many people on here, whether they've posted a comment or not could come seriously unstuck in those conditions.

Who remembers the clip on "you've been framed" where the full size (20 - 30 ton???) dustcart pirouettes from a completely standing start - now how would you like to get in the way of something like that sliding at you! (Particularly in your Locost!)

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
JoelP

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
he had a full 7 seconds with the brakes locked to think! Should take less than a second to be off the brakes and gently back on, whilst simultaneously formulating a plot.

btw i dont believe the canal comment, that looks like a devils advocate job.

will121

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
if it was all covered in snow and visually appear slippery, be easier but dont think anyone would believed it could have been that slippery, we can only do but speculate on what we would have done differently/better
gazza285

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote

Funny looking canal.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
orton1966

posted on 4/1/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
poor show

As someone else said, poor driving - possibly but the car was at walking pace and still not enough grip to stop. I, for one, have certainly seen cars turning into sledges with or without good driver input. Driver and passenger both stupid and irresponsible for jumping. All things considered, it is a poor show on how we are when people are waiting for the next victims to come down the road, for their own entertainment, rather than doing something to warn approaching drivers or make the road safer.

Time was people cleared the pavement outside there house, shops and businesses gritted pavements and car parks and residents used the grit bins to treat minor roads. Now business owners won’t because they are warned by insurance companies not to bother because it actually increases their risk of being claimed against. Councils don’t install or maintain as many grit-bins because they don’t get used and/or get vandalised, plus they only grit a relatively small number "major" routes and still run short of grit.

As a nation we are getting progressively worse at dealing with, what many countries would consider, relatively modest amounts of snow and ice.

[Edited on 4/1/10 by orton1966]

skinned knuckles

posted on 4/1/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
It says that that was the first car to go down that road that day, how long did they have to wait till it came along? if it was the first car, how did they know it would be that slippy?

could be completely wrong but i know of a bloke that went out in to the main road outside his house at 3am when it was -6 and soaked the road with a hosepipe just so he could video the carnage.

anyone else smell a rat with this video or am i just being a tw@t with very little faith in human nature

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 4/1/10 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
I am lucky to have only hit solid ice once (in a fair few years ) and I sympathize completely.

Although no expert I had been doing much practicing in various snow covered car parks, and IMHO when you hit serious ice, no matter what you do, you become a passenger...

I got on the brakes, off the brakes (repeat), steered left, steered right, tried the handbrake to swing her round - all to absolutely no effect.

I was lucky that when I drifted gently out of a side street into the middle of Barnet High Street, there was no one else coming along

clairetoo

posted on 4/1/10 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285

Funny looking canal.

Nuff said

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.