Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BBC Weather on TV
mad4x4

posted on 7/1/10 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
BBC Weather on TV

National BBC Weather after New at 10!
Is it me or is this BIAS to England

Seems that 99% of the broadcast concentrates on bad weather in ENGLAND. Forgetting that scotland has been Very cold with snow since before christmas........

[Edited on 7/101/10 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

stevebubs

posted on 7/1/10 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Where do you think most of those muppets on the national news are actually sat?
blakep82

posted on 7/1/10 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
remember out fo the 60 or so million folk in britain, about 5 million live in scotland. but wait a few minutes after the national news, and you'll the scottish news and weather, which if you ask me, is a little biased toward scotland

anyways, wales and NI get even less cover

[Edited on 7/1/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

hillbillyracer

posted on 7/1/10 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Of course it's biased toward the south, it's the only bit anyone cares about! At least so it would appear from the coverage anyway.
On the BBC weather they move around the UK in a circular motion, much of Scotland is at such an angle it's not easy to see & the bit of Cumbria I'm at always seems to be obscured by something as they circle around.
For many folk if they've heard of Scotland at all it's just past Manchester & it begins with Glasgow. The huge chunk in between is pretty much forgetten, I apparently really do live in the middle of nowhere!

bmseven

posted on 7/1/10 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
What's this Scotland place you mentioned

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

Confused but excited.

posted on 8/1/10 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
If you watch the Welsh news, it mainly is concerned with events in South Wales, just the same. Not much for the Gogs.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

paul the 6th

posted on 8/1/10 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
I've always said that bbc news brushes straight past Yorkshire in about 2 seconds where the rest of the country receives around 5 seconds per region...

Prime example: 2007 floods, sheffield was underwater, a young fella got caught in a storm drain near Hull (hessle I think it was?)and later died, when the bbc breakfast broke off reporting in Yorkshire to show live footage of paris hilton being released from prison in the U.S. after serving a few weeks for drink driving...

2 weeks later the floods hit the south of england with gloucestershire pretty much being washed away - suddenly the BBC was calling it "THE GREAT FLOOD" - so it was just a bit of damp when it was up north then?

Anywho, rant over

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 8/1/10 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
not just england but mainly the south east and london.

Madinventions

posted on 8/1/10 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
Wow - people still watch national news?!

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

Fozzie

posted on 8/1/10 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, but as every one knows I totally lurve Scotland, but............

The weather in winter is unusual this year for this south of the border.

We also had a lot of snow and ice way down here before Christmas.

So for us it is unusual, for you it is a regular thing, I think there have been quite a few posts about this over the years.

Whenever I am up there, the newspapers hardly cover anything about England, and BBC Scotland and ITV (Scottish regions), focused only on Scottish regional weather.

Perhaps they may be covering it a bit more (England) at the moment because it is very unusual ... until February 2009, I cannot recall even having a 'good' frost for many years prior.

I actually have (now had) growing in my garden, a lemon tree, an orange tree an olive tree and 4 Avocado bushes/trees all grown from pips over the last 10 years.

So..perhaps you are noticing the coverage because this type of weather for some of us, is unusual, and not because of any 'bias'?
IMHO of course...

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

blakep82

posted on 8/1/10 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
^ i've still not had any snow worth worrying about. a couple of inches before christmas, and that was it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

scootz

posted on 8/1/10 at 04:12 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with Fozzie on this one... the big southern cities don't often see this level of snow and subsequently grind to a halt - big news on a number of levels!

It's Evolution Baby!

smart51

posted on 8/1/10 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
National BBC Weather after New at 10!
Is it me or is this BIAS to England

Seems that 99% of the broadcast concentrates on bad weather in ENGLAND. Forgetting that scotland has been Very cold with snow since before christmas........

No, it is biased towards London and its surrounding counties. Floods, snow and bad weather in Hampshire or Kent will always have more coverage than similar weather in Lancashire or Lanarkshire.

mcerd1

posted on 8/1/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I'm with Fozzie on this one... the big southern cities don't often see this level of snow and subsequently grind to a halt - big news on a number of levels!

Its not like we normally get this much snow either (at least not out this side of edinburgh)
I can only just remeber the last time (1986 I'm told, I would have been 4 years old)

[Edited on 8/1/10 by mcerd1]

-

woodster

posted on 8/1/10 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
in bolton on tuesday we had 10 inches of snow ........ on the news including sky news they keep showing villages in the south which are having it very hard on the pictures they have had 2 inches of snow ........ its only bad if its in the south

[Edited on 8/1/10 by woodster]

Canada EH!

posted on 8/1/10 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
What's the BIG DEAL! so you got a little snow, I have 2 feet in the yard and more falling now, been like this since middle of December, and will stay to mid March.
Buy some snow tires and a couple of Ski Doos, NO PROBLEM!

Steve G

posted on 8/1/10 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
No change - its only ever the South East that really matters. Most of them dont know that the UK goes beyond the Watford Gap it seems.

Build a new National Football Stadium near Birmingham.......... oooooh nooooo - cant have that - they'd need passports to travel up from London to watch the home matches

Fozzie

posted on 8/1/10 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Well it seems as though I must get 'special' news and weather reports then!

I know about the cold (up to minus 17) in the north west highlands.....

I know that Dalcross airport (Inverness) was closed for a few days because of the weather ...

I know there have been tragedies around the Cairngorms and Ben Nevis.

I also know that towns to the east of Inverness on the coast to Moray, are having around the same temperatures as us down south (some).

I also know about the tragic floods and bridge collapsing in Cumbria.

I also remember the floods up north when someone lost their life in a drain cover accident.

I also know that there are some poor people still suffering and not back in their homes from those floods up in the north from quite a while back.........

I also know that Wales has suffered more than usual with floods and snow.

I also know that when in Scotland, a 'daily/weekend' paper is purchased, there will be a full write up of Scottish footie and sports, but very little of English results, but in England when a daily/weekend paper is purchased, there are full write ups of all Scottish footie results, even down to Forres Mechanics!

I have said in my earlier posts it is unusual for down here.....and not so unexpected for Scotland (or Canada ).

Scotland (and Canada) are also (councils/local authorities) geared up for snow, our councils/local authorities are sadly not!

A lot of road freight comes in to the UK from the Channel ferry ports, and if that is halted, it does invariably have a knock on effect for the whole of the UK.

There are a lot of businesses that are UK based (up t'north and Scotland) that also use the Channel ports. If the roads and highways are impassable and they cannot get their freight to the Channel ports, are you saying that it should not be on the news?

What should these businesses do? What about the poor drivers? What if those businesses transport perishable goods?

As said.....the situation is unusual .... and it is not just about 'oh dear the south is bad' ..... you have to look at the big picture which is trade and industry.

Fozzie

phelpsa

posted on 8/1/10 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve G
No change - its only ever the South East that really matters.

Sounds about right

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrsgrain

posted on 8/1/10 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
8% of the population, do the Scots get 8% of the weather forecast? Probably

Out of interest, they also have 9% of the MP's (and the West Lothian Problem) and 26% of the Cabinet... though not for long I expect!

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Fozzie

posted on 8/1/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canada EH!
What's the BIG DEAL! so you got a little snow, I have 2 feet in the yard and more falling now, been like this since middle of December, and will stay to mid March.
Buy some snow tires and a couple of Ski Doos, NO PROBLEM!

It's not the snow that is the problem.......it is the ice, black ice, thawed ice, which then freezes to become black ice, or, just ice......or frozen slush, and then layers of ice upon ice, all covered over with a smattering of snow = disaster for all trying to use the roads and pavements.

There were a couple of lads out with their ice-skates yesterday, they skated up the main road for a couple of hundred yards, out-running the cars, lorries and buses trying to drive on the 'ice-rink'.......

woodster

posted on 9/1/10 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
in manchester i've had 2 diggers working for 2 days clearing the snow from the car parks at work they must have moved 100s of tons ........ that wasn't on the southern biased news either
Peteff

posted on 9/1/10 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
The less they know about us the better, if they realise how cheap it is to live in the rest of the country we would be swamped with them The Midlands only get a mention when something disastrous happens or people are shooting each other. We all have our own regional programmes so if you want regional news and weather watch them.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

02GF74

posted on 9/1/10 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
everything is more expensive down south and london way: housing, beer, petrol etc. so it is only right we get more TV weather coverage.

Ninehigh

posted on 9/1/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Southern bias? No the country is actually thus:
London (where everything is)
Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool (some other places where things happen)
Scotland (where half the Parliment buggered off to)
Wales (where the rugby players come from)

I still find it funny that we're genuinely surprised that a country that's about 500 miles from the artic circle gets cold. It's like Pearl Harbour all over again!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.