Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Plastering advice please!!
martinq357

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Plastering advice please!!

Sadly nothing to do with excesive alcohol consumption, but more to do with wall coatings....

Just started knocking tiles of our lovely 1950's bathroom and have now got this -

The question is -

Do I knock ALL(!) the plaster off down to the blocks, including the upper painted part and get it completely plastered.

Can a plasterer build up the lower section then skim the (suitably keyed) upper section as well as the lower.

The Photo shows just one section, the whole bathroom will need doing...

Any advice gratefully received!!

Best Regards

Martin.

[Edited on 11/1/10 by martinq357]

[Edited on 11/1/10 by martinq357]

r1_pete

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Pics not working but you just described my kitchen after knocking the tiles off......

Got a plasterer coming later this week to sort it out, he just asked we got all the tile adhesive off, and he'd take it from there.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

I guess this is the pic?

If the remaining plaster is solid I would personally leave it and make good, but then again I'm not a plasterer!

[Edited on 11/1/10 by MikeRJ]

dan__wright

if its anything liek when my parents did theirs, take the lof off, even the ok looking stuff fell off with a few prods, if you going to pay to have it done might as well gev everything done for only a little bit more.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

martinq357

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, just sorted the photo.

Thanks for advice also!!

whitestu

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
If the plaster that is left on is solid then no need to take it off, but otherwise take it all off. A good plasterer can build the lower part up and skim over the rest.
James

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Are you going to re-tile?

If you are then I'd get the adhesive off, PVA it and stick the new tiles on!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

bodger

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
If the plaster is sound, i.e. when you tap it with your knuckles if it makes the same dull sound all over then it's probably ok. The plasterer will just PVA it then skim it once the PVA goes tacky.
martinq357

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
The section you can see will be painted but the room will be mostly tiles.

The top 'skim' layer does come off fairly easily, underneath it is well attached to the block work so as suggested I'll start with removing the top layer and take it from there.

tomprescott

posted on 11/1/10 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Over that small an area there isn't going to be a huge cost difference between a skim and a full rework, I would suggest to take it all off and start from scratch!
Peteff

posted on 11/1/10 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I did my niece's kitchen and they had hacked the old tiles off. The place we got the tiles told me to skim then PVA then tile when it dried so I did. The tiles are still on 4 years later so no problems there. Are you putting skirting board on or tiling to the floor ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

andyharding

posted on 11/1/10 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'd plasterboard the bottom and then skim the lot.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

OX

posted on 11/1/10 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
If its not damp then id use pva then build up the lower wall with bonding coat(browning) just so that when you plaster it the thickness difference isn't all over the place ,check for any other loose bits ,if it sounds hollow then knock it off . if you do use the bonding coat then wait till its totally dry before you skim it other wise it will take ages to dry out ,the plaster has to be pink before you can paint on it.
macc man

posted on 11/1/10 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
plastering

I install bathrooms for a living, if the plaster is not solid,knock it off down to bricks and use plasterboard adhesive to stick plasterbords on to brickwork. Then skim the lot after coating with PVA. It will take less time to dry out this time of year.
bigfoot4616

posted on 11/1/10 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
if its solid leave it on, patch it up with bonding and then patch the skimming into the top section.
if you want it all skimming put thistle bond-it on to the top section of wall(saves having to key the wall) then skim the lot after bonding the bottom section.
don't seal anything with pva before tiling, use a proper primer.

bigfoot4616

posted on 11/1/10 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macc man
knock it off down to bricks and use plasterboard adhesive to stick plasterbords on to brickwork. Then skim the lot after coating with PVA. It will take less time to dry out this time of year.

thats the best way if its all or mostly loose. not worth it if you have only got a few bad areas.
no need to skim plasterboard either if its being tiled, infact it can support much heavier tiles than when its skimmed

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.