Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: eBay Advice Required... Ta!
scootz

posted on 19/1/10 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
eBay Advice Required... Ta!

Saw a Raceline wet sump on eBay. Description: "It has a hairline fracture but still useable. Probably worth having it welded prior to use".

Sounded alright, so bid for it and won.

It arrived and I saw the crack... bigger than expected, but hey-ho. Left positive feedback (my standard reply..."Perfect. Thanks"... )

Sent it down to RaceLine and they tell me it's not useable in it's current condition and it's not worthy of repair (would cost more to repair than to buy a brand new pan!).

Bugger...

I've sent a message to the vendor explaining all this and asked for a refund as it turns out that it's "not as described".

He's not got back to me.

What's the thinking of the LC masses? Do I have grounds for opening a dispute if he gives me the 'tough' treatment?

It's Evolution Baby!

BenB

posted on 19/1/10 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Why would it cost so much to repair. What's it made from? Surely it just needs cleaning and welding?!?!
whitestu

posted on 19/1/10 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see why not.

If I'd sold it to you and you had written evidence from Raceline that it was u/s I would refund you.

It would be the right thing to do.

Stu

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/1/10 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
tbh were you really expecting raceline to not want to sell you a new one? not that I'm saying anything negative about them but I doubt they usually do repairs.

post a photo of the crack on here and maybe someone will be able to tig weld it

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 19/1/10 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno... that's just what RaceLine has said. I'm thinking - their product, so they're best positioned to give advise.

It's Evolution Baby!

BenB

posted on 19/1/10 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Dunno... that's just what RaceLine has said. I'm thinking - their product, so they're best positioned to give advise.

Or give you incorrect advice in the hope of flogging you a new one

scootz

posted on 19/1/10 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
What pisses me off most is that it was surplus to my requirements, so I sold it to Micael on here... I was concerned about sending it to Sweden and it being u/s so that's why I ran it past RaceLine... I didn't want a fellow LCB member getting ripped-off! I've no confidence in selling it on by myself now!

It's Evolution Baby!

flak monkey

posted on 19/1/10 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
If its only cracked then a weld will fix it. They are cast so the alloy is weldable.

I would agree with Ben....

Any pics of the damage?

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

02GF74

posted on 19/1/10 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
tough one that but does tend to smell of " buyer be ware"

he may have looked at it and genuinely thought it was fixable .... or he may have contacted reacline you have done and then lied.

kinda hard to tell.

it was as desribed as he thought it was fixable as in theory everything is fixable but at what cost? and if it was that easy/heap to fix, why didn't he do it prior to listing?

sorry to say but I reckon you're onto a loser here.

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/1/10 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

we need pics to see where the crack is and why is there a crack? has it hit something or fatigue?

Chances are that raceline only cast and machine the sumps or don't even make them but are just an importer

[Edited on 19/1/10 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 19/1/10 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
RzceLine tell me it looks like it's taken a hit. Vendor had got back to me to say that it ran on a competition Caterham for over a year with minimal leakage from the crack, but he will liaise with RaceLine and come back to me.

Fair enough, but I wouldn't want to be running a sump with a crack in it for any length of time... it would need fixed or replaced!

It's Evolution Baby!

blakep82

raceline will want you to by a new one. simple as that. even if it was broke in 3 seperate pieces it would probably still be fixable.

but, as said, pictures tell a thousand words

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

scootz

It's still at RaceLine... will post pics when I get it back.

It's Evolution Baby!

D Beddows

posted on 19/1/10 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
I would say it was possibly Raceline trying to sell you a new one OR with them being a reputable company them not wanting anyone to sell on a sump repaired by them as being fine because it had been repaired by them (ie an 'official' repair) and them getting future grief if it failed.

A good ally welder can do wonders so I can't see it being scrap..... but it wont ever be worth half of what an undamaged Raceline sump is

smart51

posted on 19/1/10 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Welding will fix the crack but the heat will distort the part. The mating face will probably need to be machined to flat again so that the gasket will seal.

I can't see a reason why you can't fix it, but it may be cheaper to replace than repair.

How bad is the crack? Could the outer surface be roughed up and metal epoxy be stuck to it to seal the crack? Frost sell a stick of oil sealer that you could rub in to the crack to stop the leak.

scootz

posted on 19/1/10 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advise chaps!
Danozeman

posted on 19/1/10 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Fair enough, but I wouldn't want to be running a sump with a crack in it for any length of time... it would need fixed or replaced!

Especially in a competition car!!

Get it back and take it to an ally welder. if the cracks not too bad it should weld with ease. i wouldnt have sent it anywhere near raceline. Theyr bound to want money for a new one then keep your one weld it and sell it cheap.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

BenB

posted on 19/1/10 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote

Yeh baby
Only issue will be cleaning the ali first.
If you want to be really fancy and don't want to risk distorting the metal with TIG welding you could use technoweld. Very sticky stuff!!

Micael

posted on 19/1/10 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
I just want to give Scootz credit for how he has deal this situation.

If everyone was this honest, the world would be a much better place.

I'll hope it will turn out to the best.

Scootz, U got mail

Micael Moose Åman

Petrolhead and all around nice guy

"Don't leave the duck there. It's totally irresponsible. Put it on the swing, it'll have much more fun." //Sleep Talkin Man Dec 23 2009

scootz

posted on 19/1/10 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Micael... appreciate it!

I've been ripped off in the past myself and I wouldn't want to be the source of disappointment for someone else!

Bellhousing will be heading for Sverige tomorrow mate!

It's Evolution Baby!

oldtimer

posted on 19/1/10 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hope you all get it sorted. Being a bit to quick with the positive ebay feedback caught me out once. Considering the number of seriously chopped alloy sumps you see on here I would be surprised if it wasn't saveable.
scootz

posted on 19/1/10 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Lesson learned in that regard!

It's Evolution Baby!

Ninehigh

posted on 19/1/10 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah doesn't sound like the seller really did anything wrong, it would be nice of him to offer a refund and if I was in that position I'd offer a new one for the difference in price. Do sumps come under much pressure? I mean is it a case of fixing it so it won't leak or fixing it so it won't tear apart at 80mph?

austin man

posted on 19/1/10 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
bearing in mind that a standard zetec sump has the bottom cut off and a new plate welded on I think welding a crack is a small affair. No doubt raceline dont want to repair as a replacement is a £250 sale and also their reputation.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

perksy

posted on 19/1/10 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Unless its really bad, no reason why a good welder won't be able to repair it

Screw it onto something flat & strong before welding to minimise distortion and it should be fine

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.