Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - Any Heating Engineers in the house
phoenix70

posted on 25/1/10 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
OT - Any Heating Engineers in the house

Hi Guys,

Way off topic this one so please forgive me.

I had my storage tank replace recently and after the new one was fitted we had a problem with a banging noise coming from the TRV's, so called the fitters back out to it, but while waiting I did some investigation myself and decided that the central heating pump was in the wrong pipe, when the guys arrived back they said, its not in the wrong pipe ,its just the wrong way round. The pump is mounted in the return pipe from the Raidators which I still feel is wrong. Also something else that convinced me I am right, is if I leave the TRV's on my upstairs raidiators open, they heat whether or not the central heating pump is on or not.

Any opinions?

Cheers

Scott

bob tatt

posted on 25/1/10 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
need some more info really what system have you got now is it still stoared hot water i would assume so as all combis have the pump internal so impossible to get wrong. is it open vent or sealed system. bit more info and ill try and help.
rob

tegwin

posted on 25/1/10 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Its not the end of the world if the pump is before or after the heater... but it does need to be pumping the right way around the system!!
Peteff

posted on 25/1/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
The pump should pump the cooler return from the radiators through the boiler, they are right there. If it's after the boiler the newly heated water will not do it any good. The hot water will rise to the highest point in the system upstairs whether pumped or not, it's what hot water does The TRVs are just thermostats so if the water is not up to their operating temperature they will stay open and warm the radiators.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

skinned knuckles

posted on 25/1/10 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
agreed with peteff, pump should be on the return, sucking the water through the system, passing it on to the boiler.
The pumps on heating systems dont stop the flow of water when turned off, but they may impede it slightly. never the less, water will convect round the central heating system to some extent when the hot water is on.
are the TVR's still noisy or has the switching round of pump flow eradicated this?

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

ginger ninja

posted on 25/1/10 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
there is a bit of confusion here, and as already mentioned it is difficult to offer an opinion without seeing things first hand. Water is like air, a good conductor of noise, which can sometimes be misleading. However, your comments about water flow direction would make me question which pipe the TRVs are installed in.
If the water is flowing the wrong way through the valve, as the valve disc approaches the valve seat, the water flowing over it instead of from beneath can cause chattering.

phoenix70

posted on 25/1/10 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
its an open vented system, it's not a combi system, has a seperate boiler and a hot water store.

Turning the pump around has solved the noise from the TRV's.

I never noticed the raidiators staying hot with the old system but maybe I just did'nt notice it.

Looks like you guys have saved me making a fool of myself, so thank for the input.

Cheers

Scott

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.