Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: converting r1 carbs to throttle bodies..
robbydee

posted on 30/1/10 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
converting r1 carbs to throttle bodies..

Not sure if is a good move or not...

Currently have a tuned pinto with megajolt on r1 carbs, lovely running but i do get a lot of "standoff" from the carbs when under heavy load, the local rolling road guy said it could be eliminated with throttle bodies..

So having just aquired a set of r1 throttle bodies what else is essential...
thinking so far....
high pressure pump
fuel regulator
return to tank (or can i just go back into a swirl pot)
megasquirt ecu wiring..
already have a lc1 fitted.

cliftyhanger

posted on 30/1/10 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
And temp sensors. Swirl pot a dandy idea.
-have a read up on the megasquirt site. Its all there, and once you have inwardly digested off you go

woolly

posted on 30/1/10 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

lovely running but i do get a lot of "standoff"

had same made a air box which stoped the eyes stinging.
i will be doing the same soon just collecting bits at the moment.
where are people putting the water temp sender for the squirt. ?

woolly

atm92484

posted on 30/1/10 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
What will you be doing for the ignition with the throttle bodies and ECU?

-Andrew
Build Log

robbydee

posted on 30/1/10 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hoping to stick with my edis for the spark..

the extreme standoff resulted in the pipercross filter catching fire while on the run to Le Mans a year ago.. so currently dont run any filter or airbox.

whitestu

posted on 30/1/10 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Seems like a lot of work for not much benefit IMHO.

Having said that I might do the same!

Stu

paulf

posted on 30/1/10 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got ram pipes on it ? they make a big difference.My zetec used to suffer from it before I made some to fit the throttle body's.
Injection would be the same as carbs in that case and it is a lot of work to maybe gain a couple of horsepower and a bit of economy assuming you get it mapped right.
Paul

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/1/10 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
I converted my GSXR1100 to Megasquirt from carbs.

I did it because I had struggled for a while with getting the carbs working correctly, and then they started leaking.

I am very pleased with the result. Better running, better starting, car doesn't smell of fuel (all the time from carb venting), excellent and easy tunability. There are lots of steps, but none of it is fundamentally difficult, all very interesting and educational. Its great to be able to tune things without having to buy new bits (dynojet kit £100, standard suzuki needles £13, jets lots cheaper, rebuild kits £20 per carb). Carbs are amazingly clever and complex, fuel injection is just a better engineering solution (just look at any modern bike or car, road or race).

As long as you enjoy the challenge of getting it running perfectly and have some understanding (or the time to gain understanding) and the time, then EFI is definitely a worthwhile thing to do.

I have recently converted to MS spark control as well, much less benefit compared to the standard CDI unit, but it opens up lots of new Megasquirt "tricks" and should improve partial throttle behaviour.

Regarding sensors, fit whatever fits. I have a gsxr600 sensor for air, and a car based water temperature sensor because it fitted the fan thermostat hole. Set them up with Easytherm and they should work fine.

The only people who will stay "stick with carbs" are those who have not converted. Anyone who has would not go back.

Matt

whitestu

posted on 1/2/10 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
My reason for keeping carbs is that my setup works so well I don't want to change it and then spend ages making it work as well as the carbs do!

I'm sure I'd get there in the end with TBs and would probably have some benefits, but mine starts hot or cold really easily, doesn't smell of petrol or leak, goes really well, does arounf 38mpg and is dead simple!

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.