Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9R engine backfires?????
FFTS

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
ZX9R engine backfires?????

All seems to drive and pull great but when taking the foot off the gas and decelerating she gives the odd BIG bang. Could this be the air filter clogging and making it over fuel or any other suggestions short of getting it on a rolling road when money isnt that good at the moment.

Chris.

jacko

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Air leak in the exhaust
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
On over run my engine pops a bit
zx9r carbs

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Pops from the exhaust are caused by weak mixture rather than rich mixture. I think you get undetectable miss-fires, which leave fuel and air in the exhaust with the inevitable result.

Rich mixtures don't leave any air (oxygen) in the exhaust. This surprised me too.

Perhaps it is a bit weak through the whole range, and worse when you take your foot off. If this were the case you could richen it up (raise needles a notch). What do the spark plugs look like?

Matt

cerbera

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Will it have anything to do with changing the exhaust to the R1 can?

I was under the impression you would have to change the jetting when changing from the originol can.

mistergrumpy

posted on 31/1/10 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Jetting. I've had all sorts of issues with it in the past. I too would reckon on having to alter it a bit after a new exhaust.
A1

posted on 31/1/10 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
surely its just unburnt fuel in the exhaust burning off?
FFTS

posted on 31/1/10 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
It was doing it before changing the can. The original can needed repacking and so put the R1 on it whilst I get it done. But it was happening with both. I'll check the plugs tomorrow.

Cerbera... as it was yours in the past I wanted to ask you if there was a power commander fitted at one time as theres an empty bracket next to the battery. Also noticed in some of your older photos there was something running up the top middle of the engine thats not there now?

Ahha found the photo here

Image deleted by owner

[Edited on 31/1/10 by FFTS]

Chris.

cerbera

posted on 31/1/10 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
That bracket near the battery has always been there since I owned it, so don't know what it was initially intended for.

I posted that photo from somewhere else asking what that bit I circled was. Can't remember the answer but it will be in the thread where you found the picture, but it's not a photo of the Loco, or Beccy as you call her

There has always been a bit of popping on overrun but I don't recall any loud bangs on lift off.

[Edited on 31/1/10 by cerbera]

mistergrumpy

posted on 31/1/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
The circled bit is a sort of recirculating valve. Takes the crankcase vapours and puts them back into the air box. Was cleaning out the garage yesterday and mines in the bin right now. I've never used it.
FFTS

posted on 31/1/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that.

Just to be clear she NEVER backfires whilst accelerating ONLY on overun whilst coasting and no gas on.

[Edited on 31/1/10 by FFTS]

Chris.

Steve Hignett

posted on 31/1/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at that photo and seeing how disgracefully untidy the garage is, and poorly aligned the rivets are on that MK, I'd say the photo was from matt.c's archive

ginger ninja

posted on 3/2/10 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
The red circle is the breather connection which I beleive allows air to be drawn from the air box through the reed valves in the head (under the two rectangular covers on the head) and into the exhaust via openings in the ports to reduce "popping" on throttle shut off /decelleration.
I Took reeds out on mine and fitted blank covers over, and it pops on overrun with the standard can.
The popping is unlikely to be anything to do with fuelling since our carbs were set on a rolling road, however this doen't by implication mean your carbs are set correctly.

FFTS

posted on 3/2/10 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've read another thread somewhere that said to block them off (It think it was Hellfire)

Are you saying you blanked them off but still got popping? Did you resolve it in the end?

Chris.

mistergrumpy

posted on 3/2/10 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Mine have always been blocked off but the onlt time I've had popping is when the mixture and jetting needed fettling.
Out of interest have you checked your plugs? I've been dealing with a backfiring 3000GT which turned out to be the plugs.

FFTS

posted on 3/2/10 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Got a long plug spanner from fleabay on the way so will let you know in a few days.

Chris.

mistergrumpy

posted on 3/2/10 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Should've said mate. I'm nipping to Chorley Friday hopefully you could've had a go at my socket.
FFTS

posted on 3/2/10 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
Should've said mate. I'm nipping to Chorley Friday hopefully you could've had a go at my socket.

Feel free to call in for a brew and check out Beccy if you like?

Chris.

welderman

posted on 3/2/10 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
if i had seen this post you could have borrowed mine

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.