Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC REED VALVES????????????
tilly819

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
BEC REED VALVES????????????

hi all, i have almost finished my super blackbird roadster now,

one quick question
should i uncover, remove or blank off the reed valves on the head also which ever it is why do i do it just so i am awere

im hoping i can blank them off since they make quite abit of noise and im still abit above 99DB i think i have managed to get the exhaust noise down but now the engine noise is coming into play kinda like high ambient...

chears tilly

mistergrumpy

posted on 31/1/10 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
I think the reed valves are part of the EGR system, or at least they are on the ZX9's. I've just connected them together with a pipe on my engine. I know Hellfire's blanked theirs off.
Hellfire

posted on 31/1/10 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
We manufactured some billet aluminum reed valve chamber block off plates. They are designed to safely block the reed chambers after removal of the Kleen air system (Kawasaki Low Exhaust Emmisisions)

The kleen air system on the ZX12R, is there to add more air (oxygen in particular) to keep the exhaust gases burning longer as they travel through the system thereby depleating more of the hydrocarbons for emissions purposes.

The exhaust flow has a negative pressure at certain points in the cyclical flow which "suck open" the reed valve allowing the outside air into the port. When the pressure in the port goes positive the reed valve closes preventing exhaust from flowing back into the inlet system.

Unfortunately this system can also cause backfiring when aftermarket exhausts are fitted, so some people just remove the kleen air system altogether and blank the chambers off. It is also claimed that there is a slight increase in BHP to be had but this is debatable.

Either way, it removes some unnecessary weight and makes for smoother engine running.

Phil

eddbaz

posted on 31/1/10 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Mine are blanked off on my zx12r the same as hellfires but I only did this after the sva as the clean air system had to be fitted in order to get the emissions to the required pass rate.
Hellfire

posted on 31/1/10 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a valid point that Ed has made. You may want to keep the Blackbird PAIR system on for emission purposes at IVA.

Ed, did the Kleen air system need to be fitted to yours to pass SVA? Did you do a before and after check on the emissions?

Phil

G.Man

posted on 31/1/10 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Mine passed with the reed valve plates blanked off.

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Hellfire

posted on 31/1/10 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G.Man

Yeah, there's been a few others too. Just wondered how much of a difference the kleen air system actually makes to emissions........

Phil

tilly819

posted on 1/2/10 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
thats cool guys thanks,

hopfully i have blanked them off probly need to make some propper blanks like the ones in your picture above,

i have fitted a good CAT for IVA so hopefully emissions should be ok, ither way its going to the garege this weekend for a brake and emmisions test #]

chears tilly

G.Man

posted on 6/2/10 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:
Originally posted by G.Man

Yeah, there's been a few others too. Just wondered how much of a difference the kleen air system actually makes to emissions........

Phil

It gets the cat hotter so can see a reduction in HC and also some reduction in CO where there is a rich mixture.

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.