Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: repairing mk4 astra brake pipes
locostbuyer83

posted on 1/2/10 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
repairing mk4 astra brake pipes

Hi Guys,

I need to repair some of my brakes lines of my 2000(x) astra.

I was going to buy this kit...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAKE-PIPE-REPAIR-KIT-METRIC-IMPERIAL-37-PCS_W0QQitemZ300391451190QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash =item45f0b9ca36

does anyone know whether i need metric or imperial ends on a vauxhall?

Thanks in advance.

theconrodkid

posted on 1/2/10 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
they are metric ends,that is not the best type of flaring tool but they will work,dont bother trying it on the steel pipes tho,are you doing the long ones?nice job

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

locostbuyer83

posted on 1/2/10 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
they are metric ends,that is not the best type of flaring tool but they will work,dont bother trying it on the steel pipes tho,are you doing the long ones?nice job

do you know where I can get a better tool? Can I not cut and join the pipe half way down? Can do the whole length if necessary.

Bluemoon

posted on 1/2/10 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locostbuyer83
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid

do you know where I can get a better tool? Can I not cut and join the pipe half way down? Can do the whole length if necessary.

I guess you could cut and joint, but I would rather replace a complete length. If you do this you could take the pipe off, measure/take to a motor factor to make the replacement pipes up for you...

Cutting and replacing a bit of pipe will require a suitable joiner, and the pipe is probably steel, and will need a decient flareing tool, also you need to cut the pipe without getting curd into (burs or dirt) it, i.e clean outside then cut with a pipe cutter. It will probably be best to do the above..

Dan

[Edited on 1/2/10 by Bluemoon]

Davey D

posted on 1/2/10 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
i used a pipe flaring kit like that when building my VortX. its a bit fiddly to use, but it flared everything spot on, and there havent been any leaks
locostbuyer83

posted on 1/2/10 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
problem is its my work car so i only have the weekends to fix it. thought if i can do the work myself then i can have it back on the road for the monday morning. can i not just replace the original steel pipe with a copper one?

thanks

Davey D

posted on 1/2/10 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
yep you can replace it with copper. its much easier to work with than steel. just remove your old one, bend the new line to the same shape, then re fit it
locostbuyer83

posted on 1/2/10 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
yep you can replace it with copper. its much easier to work with than steel. just remove your old one, bend the new line to the same shape, then re fit it

Oh result. I think i'll go down that route.

So just to check, shall i go with that kit, and request METRIC ends?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAKE-PIPE-REPAIR-KIT-METRIC-IMPERIAL-37-PCS_W0QQitemZ300391451190QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash =item45f0b9ca36

Thanks

Bluemoon

posted on 1/2/10 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Thanks

Yes if you replace complete pipe (i.e you will then not need to flare a steel pipe). CuNi pipe is better, but I expect a garage would use copper anyhow..

If you try a few test flares first that would be a good start before dismantling the real one on the car... Then use the old pipe as a pattern for bending the new. The test/practice flares and will tell you how much extra length you should allow for the flare probably not to much. Be careful removing the old pipe as the clips might be brittle with age, and I guess you will need to reuse them.

Dan

locostbuyer83

posted on 1/2/10 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
quote:
quote:

Thanks

Yes if you replace complete pipe (i.e you will then not need to flare a steel pipe). CuNi pipe is better, but I expect a garage would use copper anyhow..

If you try a few test flares first that would be a good start before dismantling the real one on the car... Then use the old pipe as a pattern for bending the new. The test/practice flares and will tell you how much extra length you should allow for the flare probably not to much. Be careful removing the old pipe as the clips might be brittle with age, and I guess you will need to reuse them.

Dan

Cheers Dan. Appreciate everyones advice.

indykid

posted on 1/2/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
fwiw, i flared steel pipe on the mx5 with the machine mart kit which is very similar to the above.

just make sure you put some oil on the press thread before you try do the steel ones!

it worked for me, but i wouldn't vouch for the quality of the ebay one. for what you get though, it's a billy bargain!

the female to female joiners are cheap enough if you did want to join it in the middle
tom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.