Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bank details when selling a car?
daniel mason

posted on 4/2/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
bank details when selling a car?

i have a guy who wants to buy my mnr. he seems very genuine to me and has sent me a £200 deposit via paypal. he has agreed a fee with me but the money is coming from 2 different accounts. he wants to drive the car home and is in the process of insuring the car now.he knows his kits and has previously owned a caterham. he was wanting to send the money direct to my account so its in my bank when he collects. if i give him my account and sort code can that cause me any problems or is it safe to do so?
mookaloid

posted on 4/2/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
wouldn't worry me too much - we issue our sort code and account number to set up standing orders every day. Never had a problem in 6 years.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

scootz

posted on 4/2/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Safe enough Daniel... it's what I do all the time!

It's Evolution Baby!

locoboy

posted on 4/2/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Me too, Standard practice, just check his insurance paperwork before he leaves,

A) it will verify his name and address and B) it will prove he is insured if the worst happens and it turns out that the money is not in your account at least he is not going to leave you with a broken car too!

ATB
Locoboy

mookaloid

posted on 4/2/10 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
just to say check with the bank to make sure it has cleared before handing over the car

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

skinned knuckles

posted on 4/2/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
safe as houses. your sort code and account number are on every cheque you've ever written. the only thing someone can do with just that info is pay money in

make sure you have cleared funds before you hand over the keys.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

scootz

posted on 4/2/10 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoboy

A) it will verify his name and address and B) it will prove he is insured if the worst happens and it turns out that the money is not in your account at least he is not going to leave you with a broken car too!

Good point... I always forget to do this when selling a car.

Also bear in mind that if the buyer has not arranged insurance, then drives away from your house with the car and is subsequently stopped by the Police, then you could find yourself being prosecuted with 'causing or permitting' him/her to drive a car without insurance.

It's Evolution Baby!

bmseven

posted on 4/2/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

Also bear in mind that if the buyer has not arranged insurance, then drives away from your house with the car and is subsequently stopped by the Police, then you could find yourself being prosecuted with 'causing or permitting' him/her to drive a car without insurance.

Dated & timed receipts signed in duplicate by both parties the vehicle is then in new ownership and responsibility relinquished

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

skinned knuckles

posted on 4/2/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

really? i thought it was always the responsibility of the driver to ensure the legality of the vehicle. I was stopped when i was 17 (some 16 years ago mind) driving a friends car. his dad told me he had insured the car for any qualified driver. turned out not to be true, but it was me who ended up in front magistrates, not him.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

scootz

posted on 4/2/10 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skinned knuckles
quote:
quote:

really? i thought it was always the responsibility of the driver to ensure the legality of the vehicle. I was stopped when i was 17 (some 16 years ago mind) driving a friends car. his dad told me he had insured the car for any qualified driver. turned out not to be true, but it was me who ended up in front magistrates, not him.

If the car was registered in your friends name and you were driving it with his permission, then your friend should also have been charged with 'cause or permit'.

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 4/2/10 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bmseven
quote:
quote:

Dated & timed receipts signed in duplicate by both parties the vehicle is then in new ownership and responsibility relinquished

Sorry - meant to say for a test drive!

It's Evolution Baby!

andyharding

posted on 5/2/10 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skinned knuckles
safe as houses. your sort code and account number are on every cheque you've ever written. the only thing someone can do with just that info is pay money in

make sure you have cleared funds before you hand over the keys.

Not true. See the article by Clarkson where he published his account no and sort code in the paper and challenged anyone to defraud him. Next thing he knew someone had set up a £500/month direct debit to a charity. Yes, all you need is those details to signup for a DD.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

blakep82

posted on 5/2/10 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
have you ever made an overpayment on your mortgage, and the bank give you the account number and sort code?
ever considered how much money sits in those accounts waiting to be processed? yep, literally millions. they don't seem to worry

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

stuart_g

posted on 5/2/10 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
It is OK for him to transfer the money electronically but there is still a clearing time for this transaction although it looks instant it will not show in your bank account for 3 - 5 days.
I would tell him he can have the car when it is confirmed cleared in your account.

MikeR

posted on 5/2/10 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
you could just sell him the car, write a receipt with the condition the log book is signed over once X thousand is deposited in your account.

He then goes to his bank with his mates, take out the cash and meet you at your bank.

you then pay it in, sign the log book over and you're both happy.

(although i would date and time when you sold the car in case he drives down the street at 90mph and gets a speeding ticket.)

Jasper

posted on 5/2/10 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuart_g
It is OK for him to transfer the money electronically but there is still a clearing time for this transaction although it looks instant it will not show in your bank account for 3 - 5 days.
I would tell him he can have the car when it is confirmed cleared in your account.

Not strickly true, if he banks with the same bank it is almost instant.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

MikeR

posted on 5/2/10 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, how about ask him who he banks with, open an account with them, get him to transfer the money to that, you transfer it to your 'normal' account & close the new account.

this does sound like a lot of hassle, their must be an easier way that is fast and reliable.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 5/2/10 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I don´t see a problem, your bank codes are made to simplify transfer of Funds INTO the account.
The ways you can take out money are the ones set up in your contract.
Any different, you will have less money for a while (maybe a long while) but you can claim it back.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.