Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: seat advice
blakep82

posted on 11/2/10 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
seat advice

i bought some cobra monaco pro seats last year, not entirely happy with them, as they're very tall once the side mounts are on, and the seat belt mounts are all out of place.

race trucks use Kirkey seats. nice, but very expensive and not many

considering GRP, but not entirely sold on them yet....

how are kirkey seats fitted? do they bolt striaght to the floor? my chassis has 2 strips 5mm thick for seats to be bolted to, which are about 25mm above the floor. can't really work out how to get my hands around to bolt them in lol

are GRP seats the same as kirkey in terms of fitting?

i seem to remember somewhere, drawings for making your own ali seats. rorty was it?

[Edited on 11/2/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Bluemoon

posted on 11/2/10 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

i seem to remember somewhere, drawings for making your own ali seats. rorty was it?

Yes.. There are some others that have made similar on here, search might bring them up.

blakep82

posted on 11/2/10 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
just measured up, and without measuring to the exact mm, the rorty are a better fit than the ones i've got. the top harness holes line up perfect with tube across the back of the seats. looks like these cobra seats will find themselves for sale soon...

i'l have a search, thanks

[Edited on 11/2/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

andyw7de

posted on 11/2/10 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Blake,

If you send me your dimensions I have a drawing for an Ali seat that could be adapted to fit whatever sizes you need for harness holes and obviously bum width

cheers

Andy

blakep82

posted on 11/2/10 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
ah, cool! cutting on the water jet should be easy enough, but i can't weld aluminium. but if you can, or know someone who can...

have to say, still very much in the 'thinking about it' stage

been looking at ths drawing
http://www.rorty-design.com/files/Rorty%20Basic%20Aluminium%20Seat%20Pattern.pdf

which look about right. top harness holes are almost perfect i think. will need to work out all the sizes properly and get back to you.

turbodisplay

posted on 11/2/10 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
I used a similar method of strips 25mm above floor.
I made a seat subframe so it slides into a tab (inacessible side) , then secured using 3 bolts.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Canada EH!

posted on 11/2/10 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Kirkey seats in race cars in North America are bolted to the roll cage, no adjustment, if the truck gets upside down you want more than a production style adjustment system keeping you inside the cage.
blakep82

posted on 11/2/10 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canada EH!
Kirkey seats in race cars in North America are bolted to the roll cage, no adjustment, if the truck gets upside down you want more than a production style adjustment system keeping you inside the cage.

these are the strips i mean
Description
Description

so yeah, they would be bolted right to the chassis. no adjustment, not sliders ets. they only movement would be perhaps a thick rubber washer to take away some vibration.

do you know where i might find some photos or drawings of how they're fitted? bolt sizes, washers etc?

ernie

posted on 11/2/10 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
kirky seats have one bracket either side of seat and one centre rear. these are bolted to floor then seat screws direct to them. by the way, demon theves have special offer on kirky, check website
Triton

posted on 15/2/10 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Arh but ali seats are flat and not bum friendly...whereas the Triton jobbies are seriously bum friendly....lots of happy rears out there to

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 15/2/10 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Arh but ali seats are flat and not bum friendly...whereas the Triton jobbies are seriously bum friendly....lots of happy rears out there to

they would be once they've got some lovely foam stuck to them

as i said, still trying to decide, but how are GRP ones bolted in? have you got any clear photos of the bottom of them? just to help with fitting and deciding what to go with.

ali seats have flat bottoms, and can be bolted easily. they can also have expanding foam squirted in a bag to make a nicely moulded seat.

grp seats come a little more 'moulded' to shape. but with that look a bit more difficult to fit. they do look comfier though once foam is added

Triton

posted on 16/2/10 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Triton seats are a doddle to fit as have 4 x 8mm steel inserts bonded into the base/second skin...Ed and Em are working on a padding set as well as a complete cover in leather so drop them an email..

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

alistairolsen

posted on 16/2/10 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder what scope there is for cutting down the thickness. Rorty used 2.5mm sheet whereas Kirkey use 2mm.

I suspect the kirkey seats gain what they lose in the material stiffness back in the pressings and rollings. Looking back at some of their earlier seats they are much simpler.

My Build Thread

cd.thomson

posted on 16/2/10 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
My GRP seats have a flat base with 4 captive nuts - so very easy to mount.

They're also much more comfy than they look.

If you lived near buy id let you come over and sit in mine!

Craig

Triton

posted on 17/2/10 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Em and Ed will be at Stoneliegh with the seats on display so folk can try for size and even buy at the show.....

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

tritonseats

posted on 19/2/10 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a picture of the bottom, of a white Lowside seat.

Base
Base

Hope this helps

Ed and Emma
TritonRaceSeats

blakep82

posted on 19/2/10 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
awesome, thanks everyone! a little way off buying any seats at the minute, but i'll have a good think

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.