Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Job Chance in LA, Take and Register BEC?
sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 15/2/10 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Job Chance in LA, Take and Register BEC?

Hi All,

This is probably one for our US friends.

There is a chance I may get a job in Los Angeles. If I do, how difficult would it be to take and register my UK spec, right hand drive 'Busa engined Vortx?

I'd planned to IVA it in Mar/April so could take it unfinished to LA and complete it there.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

Steve G

posted on 15/2/10 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Don't California have the strictest emmissions control requirements in the world?? Think you may struggle getting registered there myself but how cool would it be to drive a Busa VortX around Beverly Hills
blakep82

posted on 15/2/10 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
yep, california's full of hippies, and hate cars.
i'd get it legal here first. gives a bit more back up to get it imported there (to show its already deemed legal)

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Alan B

posted on 15/2/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Simple answer.....borderline impossible.

UK road legal standards have no bearing on standards here.

However, there is always a way round these things....just I'm not the one with answers....

Cue Kurt...or other CA forum members...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 15/2/10 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
My only experience first hand is from Oklahoma where it would be a piece of wee to register an unfinished kit left hand drive or not.

In California, short answer is you haven't got a chance

[Edited on 15/2/10 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

StevieB

posted on 15/2/10 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Can you regster it in a state that'd make life easy then just take it to CA?
robertwa

posted on 15/2/10 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
It would be possible to get it registered. Every year, CA alows 500 specially constructed cars get registered exempt from smog testing under a bill called SB100.
You will need to make an appointment in December for the following year, and all numbers are usually taken in the first Monday of January. I got mine registered in 2007. I'm in San Diego.

You will need to pay CA sales tax on all parts purchased outside CA, this could add up to quite a bit.

There is no IVA equivalent, just a basic lights and brales test.

Check out the USA locost forum - locostusa.com - there is a section on registering with a few discussions on CA. In short it is possible, it can be a pain in the ass, but we have a few BEC's over here - one nice MK Indy Busa amongst them.

Spaz

posted on 15/2/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have a STM 7 in Michigan. The key would be to not register it in the UK, you want to ship it into the USA as a kit, not a finished car. You may want to ship the motor separate than the frame.

Like people said above, CA is a pain.

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 17/2/10 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys,

That's really useful. I take it I could simply not register it and trailer it to trackdays so it's not used on the roads?

Alan B

posted on 17/2/10 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
If it's just for competition that's totally different...I don't think the other rules apply at all....I'm pretty sure that would be a relative no-brainer.....of course it would be easier if all road-going accessories are removed before importing and then import it purely as an-off highway competition vehicle.

No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure that's how it works.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Blue Devil

posted on 18/2/10 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sucksqueezebangblow
I take it I could simply not register it and trailer it to trackdays so it's not used on the roads?

yes this is correct. I do the same thing with my track bike... no registered, street legal, or insured...

Mid Engine R1 build
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4970&start=0

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 19/2/10 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
So if I took it over to LA I could track it for most of the year and then go for one of those special registrations in December/Jan to get it registered and on the road?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.