Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel smell from braided hose
lsdweb

posted on 15/2/10 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel smell from braided hose

I've been helping a friend over the weekend with the wiring on his sunbeam rally car (an absolute shambles of Scotchlocks!). The car smells strongly of petrol (not nice when you're messing with electricity!) and he and the rest of his mates say it's because the Aeroquip braided fuel hose allows the fumes to seep through!

As I'm planning on using the same fuel hose on my Elan I'm a bit nervy now! I'll use it on the Westfield too but that has the tank in the engine bay so no major problem for me.

Anybody want to confirm whether this is a myth??!

Regards

Wyn

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 15/2/10 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, this debate again. Last I heard, the rubber hose itself underneath the braiding used to perish, but this couldn't be seen, and the first sign was the smell of petrol.

Personally I'd rather just use regular petrol-specific hose that I can see, so if and when it perishes or cracks, I can see and replace it accordingly before the worst happens!

If the electrics are a bit of a shambles as well, I'd personally be ripping all the braided stuff off and replacing - else big fire risk!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

miikae

posted on 15/2/10 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem a while back replaced the lot with propper marked fuel hose and just added the stainless braiding myself after taking it of the leaky hoses. Mine went on a shallow bend from my Filterking filter, fuel dripping just before the carbs.

I was told that it was ok for unleaded fuel but everdently NOT.

Mike

[Edited on 15-2-2010 by miikae]

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 15/2/10 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
It may come from people who have used fuel hose not suitable for unleaded (evil stuff) but which was fine with leaded fuel.

There was also what was possibly a bad batch of the regular rubber stuff sold a while back.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=110754

The stuff sold by decent suppliers should have numbers that make it suitable for unleaded fuel.

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/FUEL-SYSTEMS-Fuel-Hose/c26_3212/index.html
for example have some hose specifications (hidden in the dip tube pipe section) which imply their stuff should be ok (though I'd call to confirm).

Wouldn't want anything in an elan shell that stank of petrol, they are quite impressive (not in a good way) when on fire, and given your profession it might cause a few jokes back at the station

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

snapper

posted on 15/2/10 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I got caught out when i bought some braided from a show, the day before SVA we found fuel dripping through the braiding, quickly swapped for the standard rubber fuel hose, no issues since.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

russbost

posted on 15/2/10 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
It doesn't matter what braided hose you use - it is not, nor is it intended to be impervious to gas & therefore petrol smells. It is not dangerous in any way unless the wrong hose has been used & therefore damaged by unleaded fuel, but you will always get the smell of fuel. Only way to avoid this is to use copper lines thro' the passenger compartment.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
GregSL75

posted on 15/2/10 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've had issues with the braided stuff a couple of times, the braid seems to pinch the rubber and split it in a crosshatch pattern. Eventually it splits right through and you get a very dangerous high pressure jet of fuel. First time I thought was a one off due to a tight bend, but started the fuel pump last week and the hose has sprung a new leak.

That's running @ 3bar, I bought the hose from Autosport show a couple of years ago as rated for FI. I'm now changing out for simple rubber that can be properly inspected. I'll strip the braid off the stuff I remove and see if it has a pressure rating printed on it.

I guess top dollar / highest quality braided hose is OK, but would advise against the cheaper stuff based on my experiences.

2.0 XE on GSXR TBs and Megasquirt

boggle

posted on 15/2/10 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
braided hose = rubber hose with a fancy sheath......

had the same problem....under the shiney braid you dont know what type of hose it is....if you can smell through then is leaking......

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

britishtrident

posted on 15/2/10 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if it would be acceptable for IVA as it is marked for LPG rather than petrol but for a Elan I would use Polyflex Pipe for liquid LPG available in both 6mm and 8mm from LPG kit supplier try Googling Tinley Tech or search on ebay.

You would also need the special end fittings.
Polyflex is really good strong stuff and nice to work with.
see ebay item 250580056349

I have seen a lot of braided fuel hoses leaking

[Edited on 15/2/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.