Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT and Number Plates
Si

posted on 15/2/10 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
MOT and Number Plates

Hmmm... just put a full size plate on the front ready for the first MOT.
Anyone gone to MOT test with a smaller or stick-on plate - what happed/what was said?

If I have to have one on permanently I'd rather have a slightly smaller plate that better suites the car.
Si.

blakep82

posted on 15/2/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
you could leave the small one on. mot retests are free withing a certain number of days, so if it fails, put the proper size one on for a pass

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Hellfire

posted on 15/2/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
We have a slightly smaller front plate fitted on our Indy and it's never been an issue at MOT.

Phil

Chippy

posted on 15/2/10 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have a smaller than standard, plus it's a stick on, see <<< not had any problem at MOT time. Cheers Ray

[Edited on 15-2-10 by Chippy]

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

donn006

posted on 15/2/10 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
mot reg plates

hi im a tester it is supposed to have a full size plate but most testers turn a blind eye(not that i have or anything)but if you take your normal plate to the mot with you thin if they aint gona pass it then put your plate on the screen
Mark G

posted on 15/2/10 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
As a tester I say the letters have to be full size, can be on a cut down plate though. If the letters are slightly smaller, I can imagine that many testers might not notice.
Si

posted on 16/2/10 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers, notice full size is measured as 520x112 but will probably get one about 3 quarter size 390x84 after MOT and keep it as a spare for next MOT, just in case.

Si

Bluemoon

posted on 16/2/10 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark G
As a tester I say the letters have to be full size, can be on a cut down plate though. If the letters are slightly smaller, I can imagine that many testers might not notice.

Yep that's my reading of it. If you look at the DVLA web site you will find the regs. You could use EU plate with the EU removed to give a smaller area but the correct font etc..

steve m

posted on 16/2/10 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
My car <<<<<
has a stick on one on the front nose, and is the correct size
all my MOT guy said was the plates must be visable to see, with the correct spacing and size , while standing in front

so not an issue, i do however carry a normal pastic one, that with 2 self tapers will go on the bottom of the nose, if needed

Steve

[Edited on 16/2/10 by steve m]

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 16/2/10 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
MOT and Number Plates

I cut my plate down to the minimum size allowed (i.e the numbers are the standard size) and I don't think it looks too bad - see my avatar.

Also to add i used the DVLA website to find out the minimum borders, my reg is 6 figures and so a managed to chop a fair bit off the sides, looks much better! and it is impossible to tell as the corners also are of the correct radius

[Edited on 17/2/10 by iscmatt]

Si

posted on 18/2/10 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Great, thanks for your comments.

When the MOT is out the way I'll be sorting out something a bit more asthetically pleasing!!

tul214

posted on 18/2/10 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Si,

u2u on its way

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.