Posts 2760
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 16/2/10 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Dvla and tax issues

This old chestnut.
Just tried to tax my car online Sva'd sept 08 but on a q plate and it says it needs an mot. Spoke to dvla who said the same (even though i have already taxed it once before since sva). Then spoke to vosa who now say any 'q' plated vehicle has to be mot'd after one year is this correct guys or are they full of s**t as usual.
Date of registration on the v5 is 19/9/08.

[Edited on 16/2/10 by CRAIGR]

pewe

posted on 16/2/10 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
My Q plate reg 11/08 came up on their reminder as needing an MOT but was able to tax on-line OK without.
IIRC it will only need an MOT at three years old and then the tester is only allowed to test emissions visually.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

Steve G

posted on 16/2/10 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Fill out a V112 in place of the MOT certificate and take it to the Post Office - this should be fine if your registration document says the car is under 3 years old and you fill in section 3.

V112 form

blakep82

posted on 16/2/10 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
its amazing they still can't sort this out, and that vosa and dvla won't speak to each other...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 16/2/10 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve G
Fill out a V112 in place of the MOT certificate and take it to the Post Office - this should be fine if your registration document says the car is under 3 years old and you fill in section 3.

V112 form

Usual load of bollocks. Fill out the V112 and either take it to the post-office or send it recorded with a cheque to the local DVLA office with a covering letter.

deezee

posted on 16/2/10 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
IIRC it will only need an MOT at three years old and then the tester is only allowed to test emissions visually.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

Nah, the Q plate emissions were abandoned in 1998 when the SVA came in. The emissions get tested on V5 / database entry (This gets entered in during its SVA / IVA). Emissions are by VOSA, vehicle registration are by the DVLA.

Pre SVA cars can go under the kit / amateur exemption in the MOT handbook. As pre SVA was pretty much Q plates, this is were the myth that ALL Q plates are visual smoke test only.

pewe

posted on 16/2/10 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Deezee, don't want to hi-jack this post (as it's relevant to under 3 yr old Q plates) but presumably the emissions are based on engine make/type/age rather than year of car reg.
Or are you saying they take the SVA/IVA recorded figures and go from there?
Cheers, Pewe

deezee

posted on 16/2/10 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
This was all explained in a recent kitcar magazine. When you go in for your SVA / IVA you have to prove the age of your engine to the examiner to get it in as a pre 94, non CAT test. Or it is assumed to be post 94 and its the harsh CAT test.

Once you have done your IVA, the DOT database holds the details of the test. Any MOT testing station with access to the DOT database can pull up the requirements for that cars emission requirements. If they can't find an exact match, and you can prove its registered pre 94, you can get a no CAT test.

Only if your registered as Pre 75, or pre 1998 SVA amateur / kit exception, are you getting a visual test.

blakep82

posted on 17/2/10 at 01:33 AM Reply With Quote
this is from the MOT manual

"b. Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to
be treated as being first used on 1 January 1971, or

c. In any other case, the earlier of either

. Its date of first registration, or
. The date six months after It was manufactured."

which doesn't confirm one way or the other... kinda says to the tester, do what you want lol

from here
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/mc_introduction.htm

[Edited on 17/2/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2760
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 17/2/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Right.
Spoke to vosa again who said as both year of manufacture and date of registration both say 2008 it should NOT need an mot but ultimately the decision lies with the dvla not them . Went on to speak to 'Jeremy' at the dvla who at first said it needed an mot but after quoting vosa's take on it went away to speak to a superior only to come back and tell me to fill out a v112 just as Steve G on here said (thanks Steve). He then gave me instructions to pass on to the post office on how to overide their system when presented with a v112.
So the cost of an mot in phonecalls later i now don't need an mot .lol

[Edited on 17/2/10 by CRAIGR]

craig1410

posted on 29/3/10 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CRAIGR
He then gave me instructions to pass on to the post office on how to overide their system when presented with a v112.

I don't suppose you remember what these instructions were do you? I'm in the same situation and will have to try the V112 approach.

Thanks,
Craig.

joemotion

posted on 8/4/10 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Just been to post office with V112 and the computer told said for me to go to DVLA office. I assume the DVLA office can issue tax discs and i don t have to go back to the post office and try and explain the system to the old dear at the counter??
craig1410

posted on 9/4/10 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joemotion
Just been to post office with V112 and the computer told said for me to go to DVLA office. I assume the DVLA office can issue tax discs and i don t have to go back to the post office and try and explain the system to the old dear at the counter??

"Compu'er says No"

Try going to a small Post Office who don't have a computer.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.