Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec 2.0 as an engine choice ?
angus.d

posted on 16/2/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec 2.0 as an engine choice ?

On paper this engine seems to be ideal for a Locost - low weight, powerful, reliable etc but is there any downside to this engine say over a 2.0 Zetec ?
I know they havent been around as long as the Zetec and could be a bit more expensive and there's the bolt hole pattern to the gearbox thing but surely they've been around for best part of 10 years now.
Just haven't seen as many people use this engine and just wondered why ?

mookaloid

posted on 16/2/10 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
You need to buy a different bell housing but IMHO it's well worth it.

You are correct it is a cracking engine

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Steve G

posted on 16/2/10 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
There's plenty who do use them. As you mention, cost is one reason not so many use them, plus you will need to meet the strictest Catalytic converter level requirements at IVA (but so does any post Aug 95 Zetec.

No reason not to use one IMHO. I recon the cost is comparable to a Zetec if you want 200bhp and injection.

[Edited on 16/2/10 by Steve G]

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 16/2/10 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
if you have't yet, have a read through this - Flaks Thread

twybrow

posted on 16/2/10 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Be aware of the zorst routing - this can be tricky to clear the steering column. As others have said, it is a tried and tested engine, with plenty of info and parts available.
flak monkey

posted on 16/2/10 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Totally unstressed 200 ish bhp for around £800-900 including the bellhousing if you do it all on bike throttle bodies and megasquirt.

You can pick the engines up for around £200 now.

Only thing to watch out for is big end noise and its worth replacing the ti-al bearings with heavy duty ones which are around £60 for a set.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

flak monkey

posted on 16/2/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Be aware of the zorst routing - this can be tricky to clear the steering column. As others have said, it is a tried and tested engine, with plenty of info and parts available.

Exhaust routing is really simple, just copy the MK pinto style so it comes out over the top of the chassis.

A pinto exhaust can be modded quite easily too.

Sera

bodger

posted on 16/2/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
They are a bit taller than a zetec. The dry dumped duratec is about as tall as a wet sumped zetec. That may or may not be an issue. Incidentally latest PPC mag has an article on converting zetec to RWD.
flak monkey

posted on 16/2/10 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bodger
They are a bit taller than a zetec. The dry dumped duratec is about as tall as a wet sumped zetec. That may or may not be an issue. Incidentally latest PPC mag has an article on converting zetec to RWD.

With a short wet sump 75mm deep (kits are available from me or 3GE) they are about 10mm taller than a pinto....

I actually have more ground clearance with the duratec fitted as the engine is so far back in the engine bay its allowed me to put it higher up and the sump now only hangs around 20mm under the chassis rather than 35mm I had with the pinto.

David

Sera

angus.d

posted on 16/2/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote

David

Your threads on Duratec install on a budget look to be exactly what I need to do !

After seeing the cost of items like the sump, water rail etc from RWD conversion companies, its refreshing to see what you are doing.

Does it matter what year the GSXR TB's are from ?
What ECU would you recommend on a Duratec on a budget ?
Would I need special gear ratios in a Type 9 used with a 2.0 Duratec and 3.62:1 Sierra diff, Hope to use 13 or 14" Minilite style wheels with 185/60 ish tyres

Would it be OK to drop you an e-mail or two in the future for a bit of advice if that's OK ?

Sorry for all the questions but this is my first build !

Cheers

Angus

flak monkey

posted on 16/2/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Angus,

If going for bike throttle bodies try and get ones that are easily respaceable, easrly gsxr ones are the most common. Go for 750 ones and you get 42mm throttle plates which are enough for 200bhp easily.

Best ECU is probably megasquirt. Extraefi is the place to go for one. They are around £350 IIRC for a new one. Just run MS1 or 2 extra and you can use it to control both fuelling and spark. There is lots of support available on the interweb.

A standard type 9 will be fine. I upgraded mine to a heavy duty one due to the supercharger which gives a longer first gear that is much better, but its an easy upgrade at a later date if you wanted to.

David

Sera

angus.d

posted on 16/2/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote

Thanks to all for all the advice, much appreciated.

Best regards

Angus

RK

posted on 16/2/10 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
doesn't the caterham R500 have one?
flak monkey

posted on 17/2/10 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
doesn't the caterham R500 have one?

Yep yep. In 260bhp tune

Sera

franky

posted on 17/2/10 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
By the time you've spent the cash converting to RWD and tuning would it not be cheaper to get a SR20DET or similar?
flak monkey

posted on 17/2/10 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
By the time you've spent the cash converting to RWD and tuning would it not be cheaper to get a SR20DET or similar?

Depends if you want forced induction or not....

The duratec will give 200bhp out of the box, naturally aspirated. And with a cam change will give 240bhp.

Sera

tigertom

posted on 17/2/10 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
tiger had a car on pistonheads with a 2.0 duratec and was only producing 160ish bhp.quite disapointing to read this this as i was expecting to do a conversion and get 200 from a std engine on bike throttle bodies.wouldnt do i otherwise.i know the tigers engine was new but when loosened up would it be at 200bhp?
flak monkey

posted on 17/2/10 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Depends on the map and set up. Needs to be spot on for 200bhp. Its all in the ignition timing apparently.

I know tiger have their own rolling road, but I dont know what their tuning experience is like. Given the number of engines they have blown up (apparently), probably pretty poor at the moment.

Most companies (Cosworth, SBD and Raceline) all quote 195bhp from a stock engine with throttle bodies.

Sera

FASTdan

posted on 17/2/10 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

I know tiger have their own rolling road, but I dont know what their tuning experience is like. Given the number of engines they have blown up (apparently), probably pretty poor at the moment.

LOL!!

I'm sure the duratec will become more and more popular as people develop bits, and perhaps the prices start to drop a bit.

The costs for a water rail alone amuse me, nice bits of kit but totally OTT for most peoples needs.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
franky

posted on 17/2/10 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Depends on the map and set up. Needs to be spot on for 200bhp. Its all in the ignition timing apparently.

Most companies (Cosworth, SBD and Raceline) all quote 195bhp from a stock engine with throttle bodies.

45bhp with throttle bodies

I'm always wary of engine builders own dyno's as they can be a little on the optimistic side of things

FASTdan

posted on 17/2/10 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect a standard duratec is strangled by the fueling and exhaust system so a big hike might not be so unbelievable. Considering the absolutely huuuuuge inlet ports the duratec has (not that bigger is always better but still....) compared to a zetec.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
flak monkey

posted on 17/2/10 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, throttle bodies and free flowing exhaust with a good map is 45bhp...

As Dan says, the inlet and exhaust ports are huge meaning you can make a very free revving engine producing lots of power pretty easily. Even the 260bhp engines only have very minor head work, reshaping the bottoms of the ports slightly.

The std inlet is massivley restrictive as is the exhaust and thats where the power is lost.

Sera

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.