Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - Central Heating & Bathrooms..... help !
mcerd1

posted on 17/2/10 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
OT - Central Heating & Bathrooms..... help !

Last night the boiler packed in
I'll get that sorted, but its made me think its time to sort the plumbing properly (I've been putting it off since I moved in 3 years ago)

As well as that the showers half dead and the whole bathroom suite is more than a bit worn out (and a lovely blue colour ) and the tiles & pine cealing have to go, so I want to do the whole lot in one go if I can

but first off the boilers a cheap baxi combi one thats about 8/9 years old, so it might be worth thinking about a new one - any suggestons/recomendations for a replacement ?
(its only a small 2 bed house btw)

I've never had to do any of this before so I need ideas, recommendations or any advice you can give please

cheers
-Robert

-

Steve G

posted on 17/2/10 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
No idea but dont forget to apply for the Boiler Scrapage Scheme
mookaloid

posted on 17/2/10 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Worcester Bosch seem pretty good we rarely seem to have problems with them.

Don't be tempted by these cheap eastern european boilers - they might be cheap to buy but the parts are stupidly expensive when they do go wrong.

Probably the boiler is too new to be eligible for the scrappage scheme but check it out anyway

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

blakep82

posted on 17/2/10 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
well impressed with my new worcester bosch boiler. we used to have some things run off the boiler, and 1 shower and a few taps running off a immersion heater (don't know what the builders were thinking...) and the old boiler used to struggle
now everything runs off the new boiler and lovely and hot

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ashg

posted on 18/2/10 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
bosch, valiant, or vokera(made by valiant) are the only boilers worth looking at.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

bob tatt

posted on 18/2/10 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
worcester bosch all the way for me
t16turbotone

posted on 18/2/10 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
another vote for a worcester bosch 30cdi,
scootz

posted on 18/2/10 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
... and another Worcester Bosch recommendation!

It's Evolution Baby!

r1_pete

posted on 18/2/10 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Just fitted a Vaillant 831, about £300 more expensive than its rivals, but on independant advice I was told it was worth the extra.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyharding

posted on 18/2/10 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Worcester

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

tegwin

posted on 18/2/10 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Or scrap the boiler completely..

For such a small property an air source heatpump would be an ideal solution... Yes it will cost more than a gas boiler....but I recon you would be back in proffit within 5-8 years...

I have done quite a bit of work with them over the last few years.. u2u me if you want more details.

karlak

posted on 18/2/10 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Very topical, as we had our plumber round yesterday to fit radiator stats for us - That has made a good difference already.

But we were talking baout getting rid of our standard boiler, header tank, hot water tank system and replace with a combi.

He also said he would only really like ot install the worcester Bosch as he rate sthemas one of the best. He suggested a floor mounted unit versus the wall mounted one we have. I am not so sure as it means moving around the sink, washing machine in the untiltiy room. any thoughts on the advantage if the "larger" floor standing models.

Also, what sort of price would be a typical amount to replace standard boiler with a large capacity worcester bosch, remove and replumb all tanks in loft, replace gas with 22mm feed pipes, along with the hot water tank etc. Just curious while we wait for his quote.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

will121

posted on 18/2/10 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
But first off the boilers a cheap baxi combi one thats about 8/9 years old, so it might be worth thinking about a new one - any suggestons/recomendations for a replacement ?
-Robert

initial thoughts are that a 'boiler replacement' is not now just as straight forward as a 'replacement' as if existing one is 10years old may be further works required to boiler location, heating controls, gas feed pipework etc to comply with current gas and building regs. May be worth getting some advise or what can be done and additional on costs

mad4x4

posted on 18/2/10 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
IS this a Gas boiler or an Oil Fired Boiler

We have an external Warmflow boiler (oil) seems to do the thing. Just waiting for the shower to be plumbed into it.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

mcerd1

posted on 18/2/10 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply's / recommendations

Its gas, I've been told its a modern(ish) boiler considering its age (it not a condensing one, but its not too bad)
so I don't think there will be to much needing done to fit a new one - but I will check before agreeing to anything

so next on the list - what are your top-tips for getting new radiators (or valves at least) and a new bathroom ?

-

afj

posted on 18/2/10 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
oppps i might have to invest in a new one ours is an ideal W rs440 25 years old

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

craig_007

posted on 18/2/10 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Valliant don't make vokera boilers,Gloworm actually own valliant !!

I personally install worcester boilers and I have had no problems.

Valliant are also good.

[Edited on 18/2/10 by craig_007]

adam1985

posted on 18/2/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
i always fit worcester boschs both these and vaillants are on par quality wise and are far better than the rest. you will need trvs on all except one rad a room stat and time clock at minimum with a combi. rad wise its up to you if they look old and rusty might be worth changing. and make sure the system gets flushed through properly
Ferg

posted on 20/2/10 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karlak

But we were talking baout getting rid of our standard boiler, header tank, hot water tank system and replace with a combi.
Whatever else you do MAKE SURE that the combination boiler will supply enough FLOW for your requirements. No combination boiler will compete flow-wise with a vented cylinder which comes as a huge disappointment to some people.

mcerd1

posted on 20/2/10 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ferg
Whatever else you do MAKE SURE that the combination boiler will supply enough FLOW for your requirements. No combination boiler will compete flow-wise with a vented cylinder which comes as a huge disappointment to some people.

well what ever one I get - it can't be worse than the one I've got now, if I turn on the tap in the kitcken all the other hot taps stop completly

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.