Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MoT emissions regs for Kit Cars
dan8400

posted on 18/2/10 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
MoT emissions regs for Kit Cars

How do MoT station determine the emissions of a kit car engine? Do you have to prove it is pre- 95 or do you just tell them it is? I only had SVA last April so havent had to MoT yet.

Converted from Pinto to Zetec recently too so don't know if i'll pass emissions etc etc

Thanks
Dan

EDIT: i know i don't need MoT for three years but others have struggled with Road Tax so might just do it in april anyway

[Edited on 18/2/10 by dan8400]

iank

posted on 18/2/10 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a Q reg it's easy as there is a specific emissions regulation of "b. Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as being first used on 1 January 1971."

If it's on an age related plate (or indeed a new plate) you may need to argue as the guideline is hidden on one of the flowcharts. (pre 1st August 1975 regulations apply).

See this thread
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=122804

[Edited on 18/2/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

grazzledazzle

posted on 18/2/10 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
When they type the reg number and chassis numbers in it states the emissions requirements on record. It did at my MOT anyway.

[Edited on 18/2/10 by grazzledazzle]

iank

posted on 18/2/10 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grazzledazzle
When they type the reg number and chassis numbers in it states the emissions requirements on record. It did at my MOT anyway.

[Edited on 18/2/10 by grazzledazzle]

Indeed, but if they aren't to your liking it's my understanding that they have to test to the MOT regulations as written. If they won't (and you fail) then you can fill in a V17 (appeal to VOSA) and make their lives really quite miserable.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

snapper

posted on 18/2/10 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
The required emissions for my kit are printed on the front of the V5 section 3. Special Notes

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

iank

posted on 18/2/10 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
The required emissions for my kit are printed on the front of the V5 section 3. Special Notes

Those were the SVA/IVA test requirements.
MOT requirements may change to those, but under the current rules they should be ignored and the cars treated as the manual instructs.

The chances of an MOT tester knowing that without having it pointed out to them are probably slim (most don't see a kit for years), but at the end of the day the manual says Q reg should be tested as pre 71, age/new amateur built cars as pre 75.

--
Anonymous

COREdevelopments

posted on 18/2/10 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Here is the updated mot emissions flow chart. bottom right states about kit cars.

Emissions Link

Rob
also below is quoted from the mot bible itself. it could be handy.

"Vehicles Fitted with a differnt engine

Test according to which is older, engine or vehicle.
e.g. A 1995 car fitted with a 1991 engine (of whatever make), test to 1991 standards for emission purposes.

Note: The onus is on the vehicle presenter
to prove engine age."

[Edited on 18/2/10 by COREdevelopments]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.